R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A Victim Treats His Mugger Right  (Read 6642 times)

arconaut

A Victim Treats His Mugger Right
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »

I don't usually post these heart-warming stories, but this is a good one:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=8916475 9

Julio Diaz has a daily routine. Every night, the 31-year-old social worker ends his hour-long subway commute to the Bronx one stop early, just so he can eat at his favorite diner.

But one night last month, as Diaz stepped off the No. 6 train and onto a nearly empty platform, his evening took an unexpected turn.

He was walking toward the stairs when a teenage boy approached and pulled out a knife...
You Are Number Six

Fibes

Re: A Victim Treats His Mugger Right
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:54:48 AM »

Not all muggings end that way.

My friends were asked if they wanted to buy drugs off of two dudes, they said no but offered the guys a beer. They guys took a beer walked off then came back around and shot one of them in the throat which paralyzed him and then the bullet lodged in my other friends throat.

You never know what you're going to get.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

arconaut

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »

Sure. I've been mugged more times than I can count (seriously, I stopped counting) and I would never do what this guy did. Still, it makes for a nice story.
You Are Number Six

MDM,

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »

absolutely the wrong thing to do IMO.

a criminal might hate you or consider you an idiot if you treat him nicely.. he might think you are simply a wimp and want to teach you a lesson.

if anything these people should be physically hurt to the point of agony, in order to induce some kind of inhibition.. not pitied IMO.
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

samurai99

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »

arconaut wrote on Tue, 17 August 2010 11:38

Sure. I've been mugged more times than I can count (seriously, I stopped counting) and I would never do what this guy did. Still, it makes for a nice story.

Are you serious, man? You've been mugged more times than you can count?? You need to move, or, something. That is... just, well, I mean, never mind.

Taproot

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 01:22:03 PM »

arconaut wrote on Tue, 17 August 2010 09:38

There's your problem right there. You need to quit being so hard-hearted and start taking your muggers out to lunch. A full mugger is a happy mugger.

Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

bblackwood

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »

arconaut wrote on Tue, 17 August 2010 08:24

He was walking toward the stairs when a teenage boy approached and pulled out a knife...

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

arconaut

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 02:34:58 PM »

Believe me, I moved! But I lived for several years on the edge of South Philly, there were projects nearby and all the college kids walking around at night were easy targets.

Once I was mugged at knifepoint at an ATM in a vestibule that required an ATM card to enter. At the police station, a friend of mine walked in. Turned out, he'd been mugged moments earlier by the same guy, who took his wallet. Thus, it was my friend's ATM card used by the mugger to get to me. I was young and being stupid, because I wanted to get money to buy a subway pass that night, instead of dealing with it in the morning when it would've been safer.

The last time I was mugged, I ignored my intuition which was telling me to cross the street. I told myself I was being racist. Moments later, I was on the wrong end of a handgun.

Since I left Philly (years ago) I've never had any trouble. Getting mugged sucks.
You Are Number Six

Skullsessions

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »

Psssh....he had it coming to him.

Stopping EVERY NIGHT at his favorite diner to eat?

This guy can't just go out to eat every night because he wants to!  He can't just go around eating whatever he wants!

He probably drives an SUV when he's not on the Subway, and I'll bet his air conditioner in his house is set on 70.

Remember...Mrs. Obama said some of us will have to give up some of our pie so that we ALL can have some pie.

It was just his turn to give up some pie.

James Hook
Houston, TX

YZ

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 06:07:47 PM »

wow.
regards,

YZ

Berolzheimer

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »

Yeah, that guy getting mugged was almost certainly Michelle Obama's fault.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Hallams

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »

MDM, wrote on Wed, 18 August 2010 02:28

absolutely the wrong thing to do IMO.

a criminal might hate you or consider you an idiot if you treat him nicely.. he might think you are simply a wimp and want to teach you a lesson.

if anything these people should be physically hurt to the point of agony, in order to induce some kind of inhibition.. not pitied IMO.

Every situation is unique and based upon the story here, i would say the "victim" knew by his gut feeling that this teenager could handle his approach. He was a social worker and looks as though he knows the lie of the land in his familiar territory. I was a youth worker on the streets for a few years and when you get to know your territory, human and geographic, this situation is not as risky as it first seems.
  Some "muggers" are way more dangerous and unpredictable than others.
When i was traveling through the country, some local Aborigines took a few things of mine that I left on a bench just outside the fish and chip shop i went into. They saw me walk in and when i walked out they were still there but my gear wasn't. I figured "we" (of anglo european ancestry) stole their land and caused the residual cultural pain they still endure to this day so i was happy for them to have my gear. As an aside if i protested i probably would have taken a few punches. As it was i looked at where my gear used to be and just muttered "take it as a gift" and walked on.  
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

JGauthier

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »

Thats the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Seriously.

Thats not a nice story... Thats a pathetic moron. Even Disney would call that some dumbass shit.

bblackwood

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »

Hallams wrote on Tue, 17 August 2010 18:29

I figured "we" (of anglo european ancestry) stole their land and caused the residual cultural pain they still endure to this day so i was happy for them to have my gear.

Wow.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Taproot

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:05:04 AM »

arconaut wrote on Tue, 17 August 2010 12:34

The last time I was mugged, I ignored my intuition which was telling me to cross the street. I told myself I was being racist. Moments later, I was on the wrong end of a handgun.

Racist or realist?  I think the outcome answers that question. Rolling Eyes

Just don't disagree with them regarding their policies on violent crime. Now that, most certainly makes you a racist. Very Happy
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.