R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvin Gaye 'Here, My Dear' Information on Marvin's Room Studios.  (Read 18528 times)

bob ebeling

For the past 2 years I have been enthralled with this record.  IMHO one of the greatest 'artist and studio become one' records ever.

I've seen one picture of Marvin sitting at the console, mic in hand, with his other hand adjusting what appears to be an API 550 eq.  I've read that this is the way he cut alot of his vocals, at the console, tweaking things himself.

I'm wondering if anyone can share any of the equipment that this record was cut with.  What console was used at Marvin's Room?  What kind of microphones did he typically sit at the console holding?  His plates, I've read, were custom made.  Any info, photos or info beyond musical critique and lifestyle analysis would by much appreciated.

This record in particular is so soft and elegant.  I'm not looking to recreate any of the gear in my environment, I'm just very curious what they were using.  Multitrack, 2-track, etc...
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Sarusan

Re: Marvin Gaye 'Here, My Dear' Information on Marvin's Room Studios.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 01:28:43 PM »

I've been told from people who worked there that it was an API.  

bob ebeling

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:26:40 AM »

Cool!  Who were these people?  Any other details?  I wonder what microphones sat there and held.  I wonder what comp he was using.  Probably an LA-2a.

I know the place has been redone and piles of the origional gear still exist there.  I know about the IRS taking it over for unpaid taxes.  The parties.  Motown buying it back fromt he IRS for him once...

...I just want some engineering stories and maybe photos.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Sarusan

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:10:59 AM »

What I have heard is that it wasn't, compared to the other studios around at the time, anything special or great. The console is the only piece of gear I've heard about.  I'm guessing that it probably had all of the same standard, tried and true equipment that would have been found at most top level studios at that time.

Now the music, THAT was something special, as were the people making it.

RMoore

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »

http://mixonline.com/design/profiles/audio_marvins_room/

Marvin's Room

Nov 1, 2006 12:00 PM, By Tom Kenny

Photo: Jason Vaughn

Marvin Gaye loved being in the studio. He loved to write, play, orchestrate, sing, record, direct, produce, jam, party and sometimes just hang with musicians and friends. At various times in his career, it was a place of business; at other times a place of pleasure. For a few years, the studio was even his home. When it became apparent that his well-documented differences with Motown could not be repaired, one of his first orders of business was to build a private facility, the restored and re-invented version of which appears on this month's cover.

In the mid-'70s, Marvin Gaye's studio was the place to be in Los Angeles, the Studio 54 of the West Coast. If you got past the gate, one engineer recalls, you just knew you had entered someplace magical. And you knew you had arrived. Yes, the parties were legendary, at times running 24/7. Muhammad Ali would stop by. Diana Ross, too. Rock stars and beautiful women. Film stars and politicians. Everybody wanted in. But while the parties drew the crowds, it was the core cast of musicians that provided the soul. Musicians were always around, writing, playing, hanging out. They helped to create the sound of Gaye's evolving amalgam of jazz, R&B and soul. Gaye lived there for long stretches at a time, always making music.

Then in the late '70s, it all came crashing down, and Marvin lost the studio amid his mounting financial and legal problems. “He went into a deep depression,” recalls his former wife, Janis Gaye, mother to his children Nona and Frankie. “The enormity of losing his studio was so devastating to him that he was never the same after that. We had gone bankrupt, lost our home, our cars — everything. But he was a broken man over the studio, and not just for the musical creativity, but for what he had done architecturally. It was very emotional for him, and for everybody around him.”

The studio languished for a while before being rechristened Eldorado Studios in the late '80s and hosting a few hits, including Alice in Chains' Dirt. Then in 1997, guitarist/producer/former major-label exec John McClain stepped in and rescued the space from being turned into a digital photo lab.

“When I think of historic studios, this is it for me,” McClain says. “Ray Charles, Jimi, Elvis, they all had a space, and here, Marvin just nailed it. He made it big so he could do strings and horns. He could do anything he wanted. I didn't know Jan [Gaye] then. I simply wanted to make it a Mecca for the Gaye family.”

The reclusive and humble McClain downplays his role in the resurrection of the studio and the restoration of Gaye's name, saying he is simply the “curator” and wanted to treat the Gaye family right and have a place to hang out with his boys. To Jan Gaye, however, he has been a prince.

“At first I was really angry because they were using Marvin's name,” Jan Gaye recalls. “Who is using Marvin's name? Nobody called. But then Nona [Gaye] got flowers on her birthday from this John McClain guy, celebrating her album, and we thought, ‘Who is this guy being so kind when no one else is?’ I'm wary of people and didn't know what to expect. Then when I walked through those doors, all the negatives fell away. I saw the marble etching on the threshhold, then I came down the stairs and turned to the mural and just stopped in my tracks. I stared and cried and stared and cried. I knew then that he was all about Marvin.”

Today, Marvin's Room is one of the most well-appointed and musician-friendly studios, a playground for those who seek the blend of vintage sound and modern production. Michael Jackson christened the studio in 1999 with his most recent album. Since then, engineer John Nettlesby and crew have hosted the likes of Usher, Mariah Carey, Yolanda Adams, Lenny Kravitz, Mary J. Blige, The Game and Luther Vandross in some of his final sessions before he passed.

There's an 80-input SSL 9000 J; 32 channels of Pro Tools HD; 5.1 monitoring; Pultecs, Fairchilds, GML processing; along with everything else you could think of vintage and modern. In the studio are dozens of amps, keyboards, rhythm boxes and a wealth of music-making devices, all in perfect shape. There's a Hammond B3 and two Mellotrons. Prince's board sits upstairs waiting for a room. A 9-foot Hamburg Steinway sits in the center. As a bonus, the spirit and vibe of Gaye permeates the place, to the point that nearly every artist who has worked there has come out of the studio saying, “I felt Marvin with me on that track.” In that sense, the studio has become a living legacy.

“This was always like a second home for Marvin, me and the kids,” Jan Gaye says. “He fancied himself an architect, an antiques dealer, and he oversaw everything, from the colors to where the seats would go. This place became alive. It was a part of him.”

The studio is merely the first part of the restoration of Gaye's story. An A-list film project is in the works, and Janis Gaye's story will be coming out in a book written by Regina Jones, co-founder of Soul magazine. Plus, there are some merchandising deals on the way with Michael Bolton's company. Finally, the world will see the genius of Marvin Gaye in all forms.

Tom Kenny is Mix's editorial director.
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

bob ebeling

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »

Thanks Ryan for posting that, I had found that in researching.

I've read the 2 main biographies also, but they don't talk gear at all..mostly cocaine and psychosis and abuse and what not.

Yes, I'm sure a good ole API and 1176 and LA-2A and EMT-140 and all that were there, but I wish someone would lure out his engineers from that period to tell us he liked to use an old RE16 and run it through a certain comp.  Something a bit more personal.  

The vocals on 'Here, My Dear' are some of the most soul-bearing recordings by anyone ever.  Quadruple tracked at that.  I'd like to complete the picture in my head of this record being done.  I'm sure he didn't just stand out in the studio on a 251, an image some love to sell.

In David Ritz's semi auto biography he talks about the way Marvin worked himself into a spiritual zone, created phrasing without words, and then filled in words later.  Ritz also goes deep into how one songs were done laying on couches, laying on floors, etc..  but not a single mention of mics.  Was he laying on the couch holding a C12?  That would be interesting.

Gordon Banks lives here in Virginia and plays with a soul group I record, but talking about Marvin with him is off limits which I totally respect.  

Does anyone know Ed Townsend?  Fred Ross?  Art Stewart?

Art Stewart was the main engineer who was always there during the recording of this double LP masterpiece.  He would have alot of great info.

Leon Ware might have some info too.  He produced the previous record, but it was only partly done at Marvin's Room.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »

Leon Ware.  I haven't heard that name in years.  I worked for him in the mid 80 for a few weeks on 5 or 6 songs.  I don't know what happened to the songs and didn't keep any tapes of the recordings.  He was great.  His voice was so smooth and so much like Marvin's in many ways.  Great songs, too.  A humble guy with a deep passion for his art.  We were working on a Trident 80B and he sang into  the bottom capsule of a C-24.  Anything would have sounded great though.  Thanks for the memory.

Steve

Philip Shaw Bova

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »

I think that RE-20s were pretty popular as vocal mics with some of the engineers at Motown West. Lots of the Commodore's records were done with Re-20 on lead vox from what I understand. Maybe Marvin was using one at his own place..?? I've always felt that the Marvin Gaye records done at his own studio have a really cool dark quality to them. Like I don't hear much above 10K, but sometimes that's exactly what works.

bob ebeling

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »

That's a good guess. I have no idea, but Marvin had a serious complex about the 'size of his package'. No Joke. I doubt he could be inspired to hold and sing into an RE-20 and I'm not trying to be a funny guy. If you read the Ritz book, this is one of the things that ultimately led to his own self demise. Now I'm getting into the 'dirt' I didn't want to but that's why I'm guessing an re15 or re16 or re10, etc..

I don't want to discuss these mics per se but it's in the ballpark. The man could live so far beyond the edge and his voice never ever left him... super human stuff. That's well documented also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPevEQ5NFlk&feature=relat ed

In this video, Marvin's own fighter had just lost a major fight, one on which Marvin had everything (financially and spiritually) banked on.  This was a violent blow to his ego and the paradox of his life was that he had agreed to sing this song thinking it would be a major moment of exaltation on national television. He was on a cocaine rager that would take most souls off of the planet in minutes...yet through all this..in the moment of total defeat..in front of his life-long peers and father figures..well, listen.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »

"...a very sad man...and that man can sing!" --Howard Cosell
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

compasspnt

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 10:06:40 AM »

Marvin's great rendition of the US anthem had a deleterious side effect however. Ever since, singers WITHOUT MARVIN'S TALENT have tried to "soulfully change the melody." Please leave such things to experts...

Very funny about 1:30 in when Marvin takes liberty with the timing. Diana notices immediately, thinking for a second that something is wrong.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 02:41:46 PM »

Art Stewart is one of my closest friends from Motown.

He told me that he managed to record and mix "Here My Dear" with no eq. or compression at all, just fader moves! I'll have to ask about mikes the next time we talk.

compasspnt

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »

Given great talent and decent equipment, that's all it should take.

As I've always said (and have been taken to task for having done so), "Volume is the only tool we have."

Philip Shaw Bova

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:51:01 PM »

amazing! Just goes to show you that it's all about the talent. It's funny, these days I think lot of engineers crave gear more than they do the talent. Give me someone with the skills of Marvin Gaye and I don't care ... a 57 clone going into a Teac mic pre to a blackface ADAT and I'll still be in heaven.

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 18 August 2010 14:41

He told me that he managed to record and mix "Here My Dear" with no eq. or compression at all, just fader moves! I'll have to ask about mikes the next time we talk.

bob ebeling

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 06:40:25 AM »

Bob this totally makes sense!!!  This is why I keep coming beck over and over.  There is something so pure about the vocals on this record and I think you just explained it.

Even in that clip of the Anthem you can see how he works his positioning and his nose for certain notes.  It's a lost art on kiddies.  

And Terry, yes, I pray for a good singer everyday.  Once or twice a month I get one in and I feel like I'm floating on air that day.  

I joke with my wife that we are going to buy an RV and travel the country finding hardworking singers to grab and record.  Set up an RV as a studio...  Go to clubs at night....  bad idea.

Bob, if you find out what Marvins favorite handheld was, or whatever he did 'Here' with, I will really appreciate it.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 09:38:55 AM »

Where is Art Stewart???
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »

bob ebeling wrote on Sat, 21 August 2010 08:38

Where is Art Stewart???
I'd rather not say because people won't leave him alone about Marvin. There are a couple engineers here in Nashville who people won't leave alone about Elvis Presley. Having your name on a legendary album seems to be a very mixed blessing.

bob ebeling

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »

Totally respect that Bob.  It's nice to know he is out there.  I should have just asked, "Is he around and is he making records?".

I've been in those shoes slightly.  They fit awful.

I think the conclusion that there wasn't any eq or compression used on this record answered my question.  It was a ding!.  

All music sounds best when captured and then left alone.  That's why I'm going nuts on microphones and rooms lately.  And musicianship.

Must go clap under the tin chamber on West Grand soon.  I have to do that once every five years to cleanse my soul.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 03:27:46 PM »

The place to clap is in studio A. The records had mostly EMT.

ganglion

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 11:22:34 PM »

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, and i have to give it a a shout out because I love it so much.  Eldorado studios still exists in burbank.  My favorite live room in LA.  Incredible room, incredible gear, and amazing people.  I'm not sure how much of the gear made it over from marvin's, but i know at least some of the compressors and mics did.

www.eldoradorecording.com

danny

bob ebeling

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »

Eldorado looks nice.  Bob, did you ever record at United Sound in Detroit?  I remember when it was for sale in 1997.  I think they built I-94 right through it now though.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »

I hung out at United a lot while I was in high school.

Did a session Friday at Nashville's old Quadraphonic studio. (Think Dobie Grey's "Slip Away," Neil Young's "Heart of Gold," etc.)

Pulled up the drum mikes on the Neve 8068 and what I heard made me want to re-record everything I've ever done in my life!

Rooms matter!

bob ebeling

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »

OHHHHH MAn.

Mine, and my two year old daughters favorite album for relaxing is Heart of Gold.  She's usually totally zonked by 'Heart of Gold'.  That album makes me long so bad to start from scratch, to buy a nice coverted barn like the one I did several records in Aspen in. To starve again.  To only use the five perfect mics I own and a plate verb.  To do everything right.

What other great rockesque records were done at quadraphonic Bob?  Do they have re20's there?

Tell us about the room!  

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

stevieeastend

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 01:41:26 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Thu, 02 September 2010 17:53

http://quadstudiosnashville.com/Neve_8068.html

http://quadstudiosnashville.com/History_Media_Links.html

http://quadstudiosnashville.com/Clients_Photos.html

The room sounds unbelievable! I  recorded drums in a couple of great rooms before but this is really outstanding indeed!!

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 18 August 2010 11:41

Hi,

Someone call me?
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

bob ebeling

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »

Thanks for the links Bob!  Very cool to see alot of that stuff and I now have a few more must buy albums on my list.

My urge to return to just tracking bands in rooms is overwhelming.  Circumstances led me into a more modern game at the moment but the soul yearns hard.

Just hearing the drum samples on the site is an ahhhh moment.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Silvertone

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 07:59:52 AM »

bob ebeling wrote on Sun, 22 August 2010 14:01

Eldorado looks nice.  Bob, did you ever record at United Sound in Detroit?  I remember when it was for sale in 1997.  I think they built I-94 right through it now though.

These pictures of United were sent to be by Ed Wolfrum... I know I posted some of them in another thread some where but I though it would be appropriate for this one as well...

index.php/fa/15371/0/
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Silvertone

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 08:01:18 AM »

Control room with hand built console... Helios wasn't the only one who made a wrap around!

index.php/fa/15372/0/
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Silvertone

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 08:03:03 AM »

With matching color equipment racks no less...index.php/fa/15373/0/
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582

Silvertone

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 08:04:17 AM »

United owner and metal worker (thanks Bob Ohlson for the correct information)...

index.php/fa/15374/0/
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 12:19:08 PM »

That's the studio owner, Jimmy Syracuse, in his machine shop. There was a separate electronics shop. Jimmy had an amazing story. Born in Algeria, his Sicilian family emigrated to Detroit and operated a music store and recording studio during the 1930s. Jimmy worked for the Army as a cinematographer at the Paramount studio in Queens during WW2.

After the war everybody was excited about television. Jimmy returned to Detroit and built United as a sound stage and post facility to serve what he expected would be a huge market for shooting automobile commercials for the auto industry.

United was located in Detroit's ad agency district along with Special Recordings, a studio that had been built by the producers of the Lone Ranger radio show. There were also a couple film studios, a number of photography studios including the one Berry Gordy would remodel into Hitsville and several network radio and television stations.

United had been doing some record work in addition to their bread and butter which was radio and TV commercials. Berry Gordy had been recording backing tracks for demos and a few records in his sister's basement using an old Western Electric broadcast mixer and an Ampex 400 and then brought the tapes to United to overdub vocals to a final mix.

The huge sound stage never got much business thanks to the Nagra, the airlines and the ad agency folk's preference for getting out of Detroit and shooting their new car spots along highway 1 in California. Jimmy decided to turn it into a multi-track music studio. What you see is the 4 track control room that was built which was expanded to eight track.

The all transistor console was battery powered with the batteries being recharged when nobody was using the studio. They were the first 4 track studio in Detroit although Motown had secretly gone 8 track a year or so earlier.

RMoore

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »

Very groovy thread..

Why was the desk battery-powered?  

Years ago I met a European engineer who'd rigged his home studio console to run on battery - as I recall the idea was to cut down on hum/noises/ground issues (?)..
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »

Most film audio work has always been done on batteries because the AC from lighting is very dirty. The introduction of transistorized audio gear allowed a full size 12 input console to be battery powered. Jimmy, along with technicians Bill Beltz and Les Cooley, jumped at doing it. This desk also had adjustable input impedance because they weren't certain that the mikes would perform properly without a tube preamp.

Blackie Pawless

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 03:38:32 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 11:19

That's the studio owner, Jimmy Syracuse, in his machine shop. There was a separate electronics shop. Jimmy had an amazing story. Born in Algeria, his Sicilian family emigrated to Detroit and operated a music store and recording studio during the 1930s. Jimmy worked for the Army as a cinematographer at the Paramount studio in Queens during WW2.

After the war everybody was excited about television. Jimmy returned to Detroit and built United as a sound stage and post facility to serve what he expected would be a huge market for shooting automobile commercials for the auto industry.

United was located in Detroit's ad agency district along with Special Recordings, a studio that had been built by the producers of the Lone Ranger radio show. There were also a couple film studios, a number of photography studios including the one Berry Gordy would remodel into Hitsville and several network radio and television stations.

United had been doing some record work in addition to their bread and butter which was radio and TV commercials. Berry Gordy had been recording backing tracks for demos and a few records in his sister's basement using an old Western Electric broadcast mixer and an Ampex 400 and then brought the tapes to United to overdub vocals to a final mix.

The huge sound stage never got much business thanks to the Nagra, the airlines and the ad agency folk's preference for getting out of Detroit and shooting their new car spots along highway 1 in California. Jimmy decided to turn it into a multi-track music studio. What you see is the 4 track control room that was built which was expanded to eight track.

The all transistor console was battery powered with the batteries being recharged when nobody was using the studio. They were the first 4 track studio in Detroit although Motown had secretly gone 8 track a year or so earlier.

Amazing information. Thanks Bob.
Scott Baggett

bob ebeling

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »

Thanks Bob and Larry!  That puts a whole new slant on my walkthrough of United when it was for sale around 1997 for around $100,000.  But the I-94 Expressway expansion was already happening and you could see that buiding was right off the current exit.

We always heard parliament funkadelic stories growing up in Detroit, and later on someone got their hands on some United reels which I promptly threw up on a totally wrong 16 or 24 track, and still managed to hear 'that sound'. 70's man.  

Vintage King was a smaller operation, an extra room off to the side of Whiteroom Studios around then, 1993-7, mostly Mike Nehra constantly pacing around on the phone while we guilt-tripped him back into the control room to dial the API up, he was a great engineer.

Wally Heider Church mics??  This is just confusion I'm sure.  As young dudes getting real interested, Mike was getting his hands on stuff that everyone here would lose their minds over now.  The 'Christmas tree lights' Neves was a big to-do.  We were all getting to sample and use this stuff as it was being stripped out and sold off.

Before the Motown Museum was in full operation, we got to go snoop around there and I remember snooping in the cutting room there were still old discreet Telefunken Lathe EQ cards kind of hanging out of the back of gear.

Ranting....  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 16 queries.