R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: This will piss off J.J. Blair so much.  (Read 31354 times)

breathe

This will piss off J.J. Blair so much.
« on: August 11, 2010, 03:58:18 AM »

J.J. Blair

Re: This will piss off J.J. Blair so much.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:30:32 PM »

Why will that piss me off?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMLjv3pxc3M
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

marcel

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »

It worked for me (on a PC, I'm at my other job)...

I can't imagine why JJ would be pissed off by a few minutes of your mediocre recording of a mediocre band playing mediocre material.  

After a 30 second scan I was simply bored.
Best, Marcel

Dale Francis

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 02:32:42 PM »

after viewing the "dance" ... why would I try anything else ... must be nice to be a spoiled rich kid ???
Dale Francis
practicing the art of listening

Daniel Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »

Dale Francis wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 11:32

... must be nice to be a spoiled rich kid ???

Careful where you aim that thing.

I've made that very same mistake around these parts.

DF

J.J. Blair

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 03:00:02 PM »

If it weren't for spoiled rich kids, a lot of good music would never have been recorded, going all the way back to Alan Lomax.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Daniel Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:04:01 PM »

See what I mean?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »

I'm not being personally defensive about this, but I always stand up for anybody who gets attacked along those lines, whether it be Nicolas or even Fletcher's old boss.  You can't fault anybody for the circumstances they are born into.  It's what they do with it.  My family members didn't teach me music theory, how to play, how to engineer, how to produce, etc.  I had to learn how to do that, and invest the time and practice.

Now, if somebody is a dilettante, then that can be fair game, I suppose.  But just because somebody's family has money, you can't fault them for taking advantage of that.

Now aside from whether or not Nicolas is a spoiled rich kid, the question is more whether or not is he any good at recording, and is the music he's recording worth a crap?

It's not my thing, and he's not great, but he's not terrible.  He shows some promise.  His taste in music is what loses me.  Whatever.  I'm glad he enjoys it.  
studio info

Daniel Farris

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 03:24:33 PM »

You're right J.J.

My complaint has always been about time rather than possessions.

When I was a lower middle class kid coming up, my complaint was never that the rich kids had more gear or nicer gear than I did. It was that they had more time to get better at their craft... time that they didn't necessarily earn.

Or, as a friend of mine once put it, "the trouble with being poor is that it takes up all of your time."

DF

Dale Francis

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 03:53:34 PM »

Yes there are many people who have done many wondrous things with the fruit of their family tree. I was wrong for making that statement. The trolling, arrogance and pomposity of it all was too much after seeing that lame ass excuse for dance.
Dale Francis
practicing the art of listening

J.J. Blair

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 04:04:34 PM »

Daniel, I wouldn't make assumptions about what people do with their time, or how much of it they have.  Poverty is not the only hardship people can endure.  However, I admire anybody who overcame any disadvantages to live out their dreams, whether they be financial, physical, mental, or whatever.  

My girlfriend was orphaned at 15, and wound up homeless, dealing drugs, etc.  Before that, things were pretty horrific, too.  She didn't have any advantages, but seemed to find plenty of time to learn her talents, which have given her three concurrently successful careers.  And I've never heard her snipe at spoiled rich kids, either.  
studio info

J.J. Blair

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »

Dale Francis wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 12:53

The trolling, arrogance and pomposity of it all was too much after seeing that lame ass excuse for dance.

Well, that's another thing entirely!  

Look, I hate spoiled rich kids, too.  (I may be rich, but I don't consider myself spoiled.)  I just didn't think it was a fair shot to take at Nicolas.  There's so many other legitimate things to make fun of him for.
studio info

Daniel Farris

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 13:04

Daniel, I wouldn't make assumptions about what people do with their time, or how much of it they have.

In my specific case, no assumption was necessary. Only observation. I actually got to speak to the rich kids at gigs every Friday and Saturday night. While I was at high school during the day and working 40 hours at night and on weekends, they were rehearsing. Not that I blamed them. Who wouldn't? That's exactly what I would have been doing if I didn't have to work. But if I didn't work, there would have been no gear to rehearse with, so it was a catch 22.

So, no assumptions here. I was friends with these kids. I knew how they spent their time... and I'm still friends with most of them.

Although one assumption I always assumed was safe was that the homeless had plenty of time on their hands.

DF

Fletcher

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 08:29:01 PM »

I guess I'm fucked up, I thought it was interesting on a musical level... then again I like early "Mothers" stuff as well as Captain Beefheart.

I thought the percussion stuff didn't fill as much space as I would have thought it could, but what after seemed like an edit to another session the room sound changed and I liked the recording a hell of a lot better during the latter phases... totally dug the way the cymbals "shimmered" on the trap kit [geek shit I know, but that's kinda what I have to do - geek - which generally impedes my ability to listen to most commercial shit].

I found some music there that I will listen to again... perhaps even purchase for future examination [as I spend way to much time in cars these days]

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

J.J. Blair

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »

I don't see any relation to Zappa.  I certainly don't hear this band capable of a "Peaches En Regalia."  

As has been discussed before regarding Zdrastvootie, and pretentious crap like this, Joan Miro and Pablo Picasso became masters at their craft before they broke their subjects down into disfigured line drawings.  This is somebody who can only give us the latter, and doesn't have the talent for the former, such as somebody like Zappa.  
studio info

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 20 queries.