R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: This will piss off J.J. Blair so much.  (Read 31561 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: This will piss off J.J. Blair so much.
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »

Glad you guys liked it.  What a cool story, Mario.  

When I got back from June's funeral, listened to it, heard the second verse, and started crying immediately.  There was not a dry eye in the room when we tracked it.  Johnny had just come out of a coma and was very ill, and Rodney Crowell's dad had just died.  Johnny and June were holding hands when they sang the last line.  

It's technically not the best recording I've ever made, or technically the best mix, but it's the most emotional, and I'll always be proud that I captured THAT in the moment.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

MI

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 08:34:24 PM »

Bravo J.J.!!

You hit it right on.

The emotion just moved me. It's all that matters.

Actually when she saw your picture of Johnny, she said "Papa" and when she saw June said "Mama" (she's 2 1/2 and still refers to men as Papa and ladies as Mama) it was so cute.

All I could think was if I could have just as much happiness with my family as June & Johnny did...I'd be a rich man.

The thought never even crossed my mind where or how it was recorded.

Do you feel like sharing more stories and pictures of those sessions?
(perhaps a new thread or put some on you web site?)
I did see some video filmed outside the cottage. Did you film that?

It must've been magical...

Mario

rankus

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 10:07:23 PM »

This moved me to tears.

I second Mario's request for a thread on this JJ.  Other songs, pics, video... Anything that's online and can be linked to would be awesome.

This must have been a life-changing experience for you! Please share as much as you can.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

J.J. Blair

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 11:01:36 PM »

MI wrote on Fri, 13 August 2010 17:34

All I could think was if I could have just as much happiness with my family as June & Johnny did...I'd be a rich man.

Don't believe the movies!  They had their share of drama.  Some of it reads like a Nashvillian Shakespearian tragedy.  

Maybe over in WW I'll start a thread about it, or if one of you guys does, I'll tell some stories.  Some interesting technical difficulties I had to overcome, with the black faced ADATs being the least of my problems.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

MI

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 13 August 2010 23:01

MI wrote on Fri, 13 August 2010 17:34

Don't believe the movies!  They had their share of drama.  Some of it reads like a Nashvillian Shakespeare play.  

Maybe over in WW I'll start a thread about it, or if one of you guys does, I'll tell some stories.  Some interesting technical difficulties I had to overcome, with the black faced ADATs being the least of my problems.

This is true...like any family.

Well I figure you used a bunch of good mics and pres like API, Inward Connections, Neve...stuff like that makes ADAT's useable.

It would be interesting to have a look behind the scenes, how you got the call, what did you bring with you, setup, and most important what was is like working with real life legends.

So I'll post it in WW...

Mario

Edward Vinatea

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2010, 11:54:28 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 19:29

I guess I'm fucked up, I thought it was interesting on a musical level... then again I like early "Mothers" stuff as well as Captain Beefheart.

I thought the percussion stuff didn't fill as much space as I would have thought it could, but what after seemed like an edit to another session the room sound changed and I liked the recording a hell of a lot better during the latter phases...

I actually heard all nine minutes of this piece with attention. There is no mediocrity in this music, especially if it's put in the right context. Perhaps it could turn out to be a section in a Rock Opera or a theatrical piece, who knows. Maybe some editing or rearrangement of both music and words for a suitable use along with other musical pieces. The sky is the limit. The idea is that there is something there and it has potential. This would never work on traditional pop music however, but again, there is a concept somewhere in there.

My problem is the mixing. The drums need to be bigger. More defined and with more impact. Starting with the kick, and also more snare, and certainly a more prominent bass guitar. For example: the left electric guitar at 7:08 is a bit too loud. It does sound good in some sections with (in my opinion) the correct level,  but for the most part, compression is needed to control amplitude. That's just another observation. However, if this is supposed to be a demo, then don't even pay attention to my comments.

Bottom line, Breathe, continue your musical journey regardless of what people say. I know I did.

Take care,

Edward.

Tom L

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2010, 01:45:35 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 13 August 2010 14:48

It's technically not the best recording I've ever made, or technically the best mix, but it's the most emotional, and I'll always be proud that I captured THAT in the moment.

QFE

Captured quite magically

J.J. Blair

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2010, 02:30:38 AM »

Is it just me, or is this thread not working at pissing me off?
studio info

Dale Francis

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2010, 07:00:41 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 14 August 2010 02:30

Is it just me, or is this thread not working at pissing me off?

I don't know about that ... your lawyer served me with a wit about no more bash the rich comments ... <G>  
Dale Francis
practicing the art of listening

Fletcher

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2010, 08:36:50 AM »

So Dale... was he telling you jokes or poking ironic holes in statements you've made... or were you trying to type "writ" and failed miserably?

Enquiring minds want to know

[OK, this is degenerating to the point of no return... we either need to return this to the province of production concepts or I have to lock the thing or send it to the saloon].

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

bob ebeling

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2010, 09:59:35 AM »

I'll just toss in that 'Here, My Dear' is one of the most magical albums ever, definitely one of Marvin Gaye's top 3.  My favorite.  

How's that for steering the thread back on course?

Go listen to this record if you really want to know what the studio and a great singer can do.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

J.J. Blair

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »

Fletcher, you're turning this into Klaus' forum.
studio info

bob ebeling

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »

Sorry, was joking.  I started a thread over in whatever works for info about Marvin's studio, etc...

I've had about 5 interns that sound like breathe.  They last about 2 hours before their opinions start spouting. They are asked to leave.

It's tough to seperate the objective job from the material when you're an angry young man.  If you're interviewing an intern and he wants to list his favorite bands, you have a problem child.  

My best intern ever would never say a word about the bands he prefered, nor any band.  Tom Gloady.  He partly engineered the last Sigur Ros record.  Then there were the opinionated, didn't make it long as intern guys, who went out and formed bands.  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Dale Francis

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 12:13:01 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Sat, 14 August 2010 08:36

So Dale... was he telling you jokes or poking ironic holes in statements you've made... or were you trying to type "writ" and failed miserably?

Enquiring minds want to know

[OK, this is degenerating to the point of no return... we either need to return this to the province of production concepts or I have to lock the thing or send it to the saloon].

Peace.

I am not allowed to answer that as it might piss off the moderator ... <G>
Dale Francis
practicing the art of listening

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »

For Nick Sevilla!!!   It actually sounds good, I really like the song!!  This was before he brickwalled everything like the other track!!!  Still, BEST THREAD EVER!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.