R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: This will piss off J.J. Blair so much.  (Read 31369 times)

breathe

Re: This will piss off J.J. Blair so much.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 11:56:50 PM »

Enough of this worship of people 10 years+ older than me!  The last ten years of popular music recordings have been absolutely horrible.  What?  Are you going to blame the record companies for not putting out good productions?  You don't take ANY responsibility for how bad it's been in the last ten years???  It's time to change the guard, and the way I see it only the new crowd who have navigated a value system through the trenches of post-modernism are equipped to bring back substance to music recording.  The 50+ generation is too alienated from this current cultural phenomenon to be able to contribute their PHENOMENAL talents to record productions, but they sure do design great gear.

Nicholas

grantis

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 12:03:11 AM »

breathe wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 22:56

Enough of this worship of people 10 years+ older than me!  The last ten years of popular music recordings have been absolutely horrible.  What?  Are you going to blame the record companies for not putting out good productions?  You don't take ANY responsibility for how bad it's been in the last ten years???  It's time to change the guard, and the way I see it only the new crowd who have navigated a value system through the trenches of post-modernism are equipped to bring back substance to music recording.  The 50+ generation is too alienated from this current cultural phenomenon to be able to contribute their PHENOMENAL talents to record productions, but they sure do design great gear.

Nicholas

So why don't you spend your time changing the business? Instead of...I dunno...whining.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Hallams

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 12:21:01 AM »

breathe wrote on Thu, 12 August 2010 13:56

Nicholas

Despite the title of your thread, JJ was not seemingly pissed off......did this disappoint you?
I had the impression that you, Nicholas were actually being regarded seriously in this thread and treated as such. My assumption is that you are picking up on this as well, and in order to maintain your stance within a paradigm that, to you is necessarily different to the likes of JJ and others you perceive as of the old guard, you have seen it necessary to re create the animosity that establishes for you a secure footing in your perception of post modern musical creativity. Assumptions are often false and mine may be......so may be yours.
False assumptions pave the way for prejudice.
Peace, angst or whatever works for you, there is not always a battle fought with the changing of the old guard to the new.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Kassonica

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 01:07:16 AM »

It seems at least to me you will be remembered more for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMLjv3pxc3M

than you will be for your engineering the way you are going.

This is shame.

Peace to you.

Mark Ludwig

Should have been a Drummer

Fletcher

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 03:57:07 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 20:47

I don't see any relation to Zappa.  I certainly don't hear this band capable of a "Peaches En Regalia."  

I didn't say Zappa - I said early "Mothers" -- big difference.  If its been awhile since you put on "Freak Out", give it a listen... one of my favorite records.  I also referenced Beefheart, which has some rather bizarre stuff going on [which in many ways appeals to me].

Neither here nor there, just a base comparison that struck me.

CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Dale Francis

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 07:54:39 AM »

so how do you compare this to the Fugs???

and changing of the guard ... you are still playing in the same damn field of mud, awash in all it's glory and using it's tools, not much change happening  ... the Stooges and the Rationals did a better job,  Who are the Brain Police??
Dale Francis
practicing the art of listening

Fibes

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 11:31:23 AM »

Sounds like early Royal Trux with a brooding art school kid babbling over it.

It's been done, no new ground here.

FWIW It's not that I don't get it, it's that I do get it and I know what it lacks.

I'm sure the kids might like it. Then again they might not dig it since cocaine has a different sonic trigger than what's going on here.

Vampire Weekend and Abba have much in common, all rich kid shit aside.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

J.J. Blair

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 11:58:19 AM »

Wow.  Fletcher has been busier editing than Klaus ever will be.  

Is Nicolas really worth all the effort it takes for you to moderate this place?  Why edit him?  You should just leave his words up to haunt him, in perpetuity.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

J.J. Blair

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »

I had nothing to do with that song that Nicolas posted.  But I did make this one, on black faces ADATs, of all things, in a log cabin, of all places.  Of all the recordings I've ever done, this is the one I would want to be remembered for.  I took this picture, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXkh77LaZns
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Daniel Farris

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 12:30:04 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 12 August 2010 09:04

I had nothing to do with that song that Nicolas posted.  But I did make this one, on black faces ADATs, of all things, in a log cabin, of all places.  Of all the recordings I've ever done, this is the one I would want to be remembered for.  I took this picture, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXkh77LaZns

Nice.

I had a trio of blackface ADATs, followed by a trio of XT's... and everyone's favorite, the infamous BRC.

I haven't flipped over an ADAT and re-seated the drive belt in almost 12 years, and I'm still bitter about how often I had to do it.

By the time I finally got rid of my ADATs, I was so over it that I was literally buying VHS tapes at the local drugstore. They made me hate my job so much. I just didn't care anymore.

DF

breathe

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »

I really like this post. (His, not mine.  I agree with mine though.)

Nicholas

Hallams wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 21:21

breathe wrote on Thu, 12 August 2010 13:56

Nicholas

Despite the title of your thread, JJ was not seemingly pissed off......did this disappoint you?
I had the impression that you, Nicholas were actually being regarded seriously in this thread and treated as such. My assumption is that you are picking up on this as well, and in order to maintain your stance within a paradigm that, to you is necessarily different to the likes of JJ and others you perceive as of the old guard, you have seen it necessary to re create the animosity that establishes for you a secure footing in your perception of post modern musical creativity. Assumptions are often false and mine may be......so may be yours.
False assumptions pave the way for prejudice.
Peace, angst or whatever works for you, there is not always a battle fought with the changing of the old guard to the new.

breathe

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »

And by the way, if you think I've been posting the way I do on this forum for 8 years and not care about what I'm talking about, WTF?  This is the only thing I care about.

Nicholas

J.J. Blair

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »

50+?  Does Nicolas even know how old I am?  

The shame is that Nicolas wants to have a confrontation with me, but is too chicken shit to take me off ignore.  The problem is that even though he'd get his clock cleaned in any discussion, his myopia  would allow him to consider himself the victor.  

As John Perry Barlow once penned: "You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know."
studio info

breathe

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »

I see you.

Nicholas

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 12 August 2010 10:13

50+?  Does Nicolas even know how old I am?  

The shame is that Nicolas wants to have a confrontation with me, but is too chicken shit to take me off ignore.  The problem is that even though he'd get his clock cleaned in any discussion, his myopia  would allow him to consider himself the victor.  

As John Perry Barlow once penned: "You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know."

CWHumphrey

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »

Since what I originally offered seems to have made the "No Fly List", I just offer this:

Nicholas, you just keep being you.  

and J.J., you just keep being you (and I know you know what I mean).

Cheers,
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.