R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I giveth praise to the HEDD.  (Read 3382 times)

breathe

I giveth praise to the HEDD.
« on: January 10, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »

My product reviews really mean nothing until I present a finished mix to this forum that collectively melts face, but in the mean time I must give praise to the Crane Song HEDD.  It is SUCH an improvement over the BURL B2 Bomber ADC which I now think poorly of.  The only problem with the HEDD is I think the built-in clock really sucks, but clocked to the Apogee it sounds really wonderful.  I also really like the DAC on this unit now but I still feel it's a totally inaccurate reference.  Basically it makes mixes sound way groovier than they will anywhere else, except maybe on vinyl if the ME was using one of these things for playout.  Also - I've noticed something weird about using the HEDD with AES/EBU (Mogami 3173 is my preferred AES/EBU cable):  If I connect my Digi 192 digital interface to my Benchmark DAC1 in this way and play out a recording, it sounds fine, but the HEDD really seems to prefer coax.  So I got some more Apogee brand ADC75 (the same I use for WC connections) and connected the HEDD to the 192's S/Pdif i/o that way and grooviness was restored.

Nicholas

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.