R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Benny Hinn Bats A Thousand  (Read 13086 times)

Barry Hufker

Re: Benny Hinn Bats A Thousand
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »

I believe in God's healing power.  And like you I don't think it happens "every Sunday night at 8:00" for instance.  More than that in this case is the self-aggrandizement, the building of a financial empire, etc.  It is a complex issue for sure.

Barry

PookyNMR

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2010, 11:30:54 PM »

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/30/anne-rice-leaves-chr istianity/?hpt=T2

I think this is in line with the topic.  A few of you may find this interesting.

Nathan Rousu

PookyNMR

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »

Wireline wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 20:19

On the other hand, I most certainly believe in the power of faith when it comes to healing the human body and spirit.  What I do not believe is those who are healed on cue.

Same here.  I've seen numerous instances where "thank you God" is the only appropriate response.  And I agree, I think turning healing into a show - or even a freak show - cheapens the whole meaning and purpose of the healing in the first place.
Nathan Rousu

Barry Hufker

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2010, 12:51:53 PM »

PookyNMR wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 22:30

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/30/anne-rice-leaves-chr istianity/?hpt=T2

I think this is in line with the topic.  A few of you may find this interesting.

I've said it (all too often) before.  One of my favorite bumper stickers is "Jesus save me from your followers".

Barry

Larrchild

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »

Benny Hinn= Not funny

Benny Hill = Funny

Benny Lava=  Very Very Funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1NoOOoaNw
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Barry Hufker

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »

Benny Lava.  Not just very funny.  A true classic (benny lava).

Barry

Bill_Urick

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »

Barry, you always say what you think.
Always sincere, always passionate.
Sometimes even right...
Smile

I had though about asking if you had read Ann Rice's Christ the Lord books. Guess I'm asking now.
If not, I recommend them. Well researched and well written.
She is doing a good job of bringing the Gospels to life.
A very ambitious project.

But what the hell:

Quote:

The “Interview with a Vampire” author, who wrote a book about her spirituality titled "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" in 2008, said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

Rice wrote, “For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian ... It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

Rice then added another post explaining her decision on Thursday:

“My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me," Rice wrote. "But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.”

Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

PookyNMR

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2010, 01:44:42 AM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 21:03

But what the hell:

I believe the point Rice is making is that her faith in Christ and her journey to follow him does not coincide with what she experiences in most mainline churches.  The person of Christ and the behavior of the church appear to be in some discord.

It may or may not be of surprise to you, but I hear a lot of significant church leaders saying the same thing in the books, blogs, etc.  

We've traded Jesus for religion.  And it's not going well.  Many of us want Jesus back.
Nathan Rousu

PP

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2010, 03:57:16 AM »

Quote: "Benny Hill = Funny."

In real life.

He was far more funny than anyone could ever imagine.

But this was not part of his gift as a comedian, rather the man himself, his personal life, habits and perfectly human traits that we all have, would leave you rolling on the floor with laughter.

Unfortunately because of the intimate personal details involved, I don't feel able to disclose them here, the thread would explode.

He, along with several old time English comedians, was typically quite unbelievable.

You couldn't make it up, it is simply too fantastical.

With regard to certain areas of his life.

Thanks for this thread.

I was interested in it, because my Mother who watches various satellite T.V. programmes has sometimes spoken about Benny Hinn.

In addition, a few years back I became concerned that certain well known Religious Leaders in the U.K. were becoming heavily influenced by such people.

In point of fact, I conducted some practical experiments without their knowledge at all, to put my doubts about them to the test, and found them somewhat wanting.

In the end, I decided to ensure I put a clear distance between myself and such individuals who were  ardent followers and practitioners of the teachings of the people being discussed.

Because some of the English Religious Leaders involved, were members of Traditional Church Movements, I was dealing with a Movement within a Movement, so found it an extremely difficult situation indeed.

Naturally, if you discussed such things as you had observed in what you expected to be a Traditional Church Service, and brought these matters up with others, you got the sense that perhaps people thought you were wrong.

Nobody likes criticising a Minister of the Gospel, but my issue was they now weren't Ministering the Gospel, but had gone way beyond anything The Holy Bible taught, into a realm of what I suppose I would regard, as a kind of self deception.

In fact.

One Minister had a great many, very  strange ideas.

I was present at one meeting where he disclosed to the Congregation.

That he could accurately identify the Characteristics  of the people in his Congregation by where they sat in the pews.

For instance if you sat on the right hand side three rows from the back, you would be a thief. If you sat in either of the two rear most, central pews you would be mentally ill. And on it went.

I felt so tremendously sorry for the people sat in those areas.

Thankfully, I usually sit in the middle of things.

But you can gauge what I mean.

It was all becoming.

Too Far out.

Decades before.

I would have regarded some of the people I was concerned about as being among the finest Christian Teachers in the land.

So all this was very painful to me in particular, but I soon found that I was not the only person having very great concern, about this time.

Indeed, at a huge, General Church Meeting, it was clear that a massive number of people, had precisely the same concerns and misgivings as I.

Eventually about 500 people left this particular Church, specifically because of the direction in which it was being taken. But what to do about the Minister?

Well in the Movement concerned, they gave him a new title, and moved him somewhere he couldn't do real damage, working beneath another Leader who kept a close eye on him.

It took a time for this to unravel.

And that was a very painful experience for all.

But one tiny, extremely insignificant event in particular encapsulated the problem in a nutshell, for me.

It was early one Morning, and I had been driven (I don't drive at all) into town, to  visit a Gospel Bookshop, looking to buy a Bible for a relative.

While I was there, the very Minister concerned, entered the shop, spent a little bit of time intently reading the latest paperbacks, and clearly excited by material written by precisely the type of person being discussed, eventually bought one, and left.

Somehow, I instinctively realised, that he was looking for a subject for his Sermon the next day. That he would pump himself up, full with this new found knowledge, and deliver it, presenting it as The Word of God, for the huge number of young people (students) in his Congregation.

This is the essence of the problem.

People find their 'spiritual resources' in something other than The Holy Bible.

And a deeply abiding relationship, that is steeped in a prayerful life of reflective contemplation.

Rather than dwelling on the Word of God itself, and allowing God by his Spirit to reveal how it  applies directly to his life.

It had become easier, to pick up an instant fix, of the thoughts and ideas of other men, and perhaps to some degree or another, a great many Christians could be guilty of this.

Also.

I believe.

That where this man started to go wrong.

Had its basis in fear of man, and as we are taught, such fear is not of God.

I remember him intimating, that when he was advised he was coming here, he was completely scared to death, and wanted to get out of it.

It seemed to be the case, that the very intense intellectual rigour and scrutiny his Ministry would be under, because of the nature of the Academic Audience he would Minister to, was extremely daunting.

And also because the previous Minister he was following, was a true  Apostolic Leader, who  was extraordinary successful in building the Church and its widespread reputation, and was a very famous Christian Writer to boot, hailed all over the World.

He felt, inwardly challenged. It all seemed too much for him to be able to follow successfully. He felt would always be compared to the former Minister, and could only be seen in a negative light, relatively speaking.

But in his fear.

Instead of privately turning to God.

And humbly looking for the Courageous Leadership and Vision he needed.

He instead, looked toward other Christian Leaders, that were making 'more noise' and commanding 'more attention', than the Minister he replaced.

Now hindsight's a wonderful thing.

Looking back, it's really easy to see how this happened.

But at the time was a period of tremendous confusion and pain for many.

Quote: "I think this fellow is beyond rebuke - or certainly would not accept it from any average joe like you and I. So in this case, yes a patient gentle rebuke is not the point, thought it could be in a general sense denote an overall demeanor we take towards any person in error."

Demeanour is important.

How you say something is everything.

I'm a person that will tend to say, what I believe to be right.

The problem is, such people will walk all over any kind of pussy footing, and treat it with contempt.

This Leader, was totally sure he was right about everything, would not accept advice from anyone, nor brook any criticism at all.

You couldn't even talk to him in a respectful rational way, if you approached him to attempt to discuss your concerns, he would deliberately and crudely avoid the conversation.

And I remain convinced to this day, that when 500 rock solid Members of his Church decided to distance themselves from it, he was sure that this was clear evidence that his critics were in the wrong themselves.

Leadership.  

In the Bible always involved a Team.

There's great checks and balances in that approach.

Whoever the Leader was, he was part of a Team, and of course that applied even to Christ Himself.

It seems to me that overtly Charismatic Leaders, (and I'm not against any particular Movement as I care little for denominations), often subtly present themselves, by implication as a form of 'Christ Substitute'.

But there is no substitute in the Christian Life for Jesus.

Everyone, whoever they are, will fall short.

So don't put them on a pedestal.

In the first place.

Quote: "I think this is in line with the topic. A few of you may find this interesting."

Very much so.

I will write to Anne, in the near future, after some reflection.

My son's fianc

Barry Hufker

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »

Bill,

"Barry, you always say what you think." -- Right.
"Always sincere," -- Mostly.
"always passionate." -- Often too much.
Sometimes even right...: -- You take that back!

Barry

PookyNMR

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »

Peter -

Always great to see your contributions.  I appreciate your insights and the time you take to articulate them.

PP wrote on Sat, 07 August 2010 01:57

"If she lacks the close interpersonal relationships that at best Christians can develop in a great Church, it is likely that there will be an unperceivable, slow diminishing, in the depth of her personal experience of Christ, and Christianity. "

What you say here is reminiscent of one of my favorite contemporary works on the subject, "Life Together," by Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

We need each other.  We are created for community and cannot survive without it.  We need community in Christ.  

While there are various difficult characters, issues, theologies, praxis that seem troublesome for many of us believers to reconcile with who we understand Jesus to be, I believe the current trend of some believers to separate themselves from the church in reaction is a dangerous one.  Community with fellow believers, hopefully mature in Christ, is essential for our own spiritual health.

I can sympathize with an individual like Ann Rice.  Religion, philosophical worldviews, political ideologies, etc, in various circles that attempt to substitute themselves for genuine life in Christ can sour the experience.  I only hope Ann and those who follow her writings, while they attempt to 'quit Christianity,' can leave those things behind while continuing to embrace Jesus and sustained relationship with a healthy community of Christ centered believers.

Peace.

Nathan Rousu

Bill_Urick

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2010, 09:23:10 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 07 August 2010 10:53

Bill,

"Barry, you always say what you think." -- Right.
"Always sincere," -- Mostly.
"always passionate." -- Often too much.
Sometimes even right...: -- You take that back!

Barry

OK, you're NEVER RIGHT!
Happy now?

I'd still like to see the inside of that microphone.

Please.

Whenever it's convenient.

If it's not too much trouble...
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »

PookyNMR wrote on Sat, 07 August 2010 01:44

Bill_Urick wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 21:03

But what the hell:

I believe the point Rice is making is that her faith in Christ and her journey to follow him does not coincide with what she experiences in most mainline churches.  The person of Christ and the behavior of the church appear to be in some discord.

It may or may not be of surprise to you, but I hear a lot of significant church leaders saying the same thing in the books, blogs, etc.  

We've traded Jesus for religion.  And it's not going well.  Many of us want Jesus back.

I know what she meant.
I just disagree with painting with such a broad brush.

And I don't get this:

Quote:

It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group.

I thought she was Catholic, not Southern Baptist.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2010, 11:08:03 PM »

"OK, you're NEVER RIGHT!
Happy now?"  -- My point exactly!  Thank you.

Barry
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 16 queries.