R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Benny Hinn Bats A Thousand  (Read 13087 times)

Barry Hufker

Benny Hinn Bats A Thousand
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:18:43 PM »

And people buy this shit.

Didn't I see this in a Popeye cartoon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9U_lWmAsYM&feature=playe r_embedded

Barry

bblackwood

Re: Benny Hinn Bats A Thousand
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »

Didn't watch the whole thing, but they need the Benny Hill theme song playing in the background...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Barry Hufker

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »

You're a smart man not to have watched the whole thing.  Benny Hill's theme would be perfect.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:12:17 PM »

Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »

Well... sort of.  One must think for one's self and one shouldn't believe what doesn't make sense, but one must be open to God and to receiving salvation offered by Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit, but one shouldn't be bashed about by a coat wielded by a charlatan.  Nor should one believe in these "ministers" (rather than God).

The Python's answer, "it's all up to you and to whatever you figure out" is also a bit simplistic.  It's a complex answer to what ought to be a simple question...

Frankly, I'd just like to make the observation that (IMO) Benny Hinn is a lying, cheating, son of a bitch and let it go at that.

Barry

Bill_Urick

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:29:56 PM »

Not referring to BH, who up to this point I've managed to ignore, but isn't there a danger in any ministry led by a charismatic figure to turn into a cult of personality?

A minister has a knife's edge to walk. Be good enough to inspire and attract but not so good that the minister becomes the message instead of the messenger.

The MP segment isn't a simplistic answer, but rather an illustration in the absurd tendency of humans to blindly follow a leader, whether religious or political.

Lemmings into the sea.

Splash.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Bill_Urick

Bats, A Thousand...
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:33:08 PM »

index.php/fa/15182/0/

Barry Hufker

Re: Bats, A Thousand...
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »

I agree completely with your observation about charismatic leaders.  In fact, in the Acts of the Apostles, there is the account where Christians were beginning to say "I am of Paul" and "I am of Peter" rather than "I am of Christ".  People can be easily wrapped up in the human rather than God.  And I admit it is hard for a minister to keep himself/herself away from the focus, being a messenger and not the message.

If it is "Bats, A thousand..." then let's get down to it.

index.php/fa/15185/0/

Larrchild

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »

Best interpretative video ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvU-DislkI
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Taproot

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 12:50:58 AM »

Yep. "Yakity Sax" should be playing in the background.  Surprised
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

PookyNMR

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 06:40:10 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 22:06

And I admit it is hard for a minister to keep himself/herself away from the focus, being a messenger and not the message.

All believers are intended to be the message. The gospel is not just words, it is action - "I no longer live, but Christ lives in me."  (Gal 2:20)  We are to embody the message, and our message is Jesus.  Much like Jesus was the word become flesh, so too are we to display Christ in our flesh.

The challenge here is that when attention comes we become selfish, vain, proud seeking our personal gain, affirmation, etc.  At this moment we face the classic scriptural tension - do we chose to revert to living the old life of the flesh or the new life of the Spirit.

It's easy to condemn those who fail at this.  But we must realize that all of us have a difficult time living in the spirit and not indulging the life of the flesh.
Nathan Rousu

Barry Hufker

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »

It is easy to condemn those who fail at this.  And it may be that condemning them is proper.  It is one thing to fail but it is another to succeed in bilking others such that your "failure" is a multi-million dollar corporation and your actions are an embarrassment to believers everywhere.  It is the same with many others who preach on television or internationally.  The "prosperity gospel" is a crime and a heresy.

PookyNMR

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:27:30 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 21:49

It is easy to condemn those who fail at this.  And it may be that condemning them is proper.  It is one thing to fail but it is another to succeed in bilking others such that your "failure" is a multi-million dollar corporation and your actions are an embarrassment to believers everywhere.  It is the same with many others who preach on television or internationally.  The "prosperity gospel" is a crime and a heresy.

I agree that (to use the biblical term) these false teachers are harmful to both the those within and outside of the community of faith.

However, I'm not sure I quite like how the word "condemn" here is being used for two reasons.

The first reason I hinted at in my previous post.  I don't like the word "condemn" being used in this manner as it can easily turn into a stance of self-righteousness on the part of the one doing the condemnation.  In a previous thread there was discussion of a 'Pharisee' disposition.  Here I would say that self-righteousness is a major component of that disposition that we witness in the gospel account.  Rather than leaning towards self-righteousness, I believe a healthier stance is to recognize that even though some people blow it big time, we too are sinners with our own faults and should not be too quick to cast the first stone.

The second reason has to do with the character and actions with which we are to approach false teachers.  1 & 2 Timothy is probably the best source for these ideas as it's the clearest / most pointed epistle for dealing with false teachers (as was the problem in Ephesus when Paul wrote this towards the end of his life).  In general, they are to be avoided, but when corrected it is to be done with "patience and gentleness."  

For those of us who believe, how we deal with these people is just as much a witness to a watching world as the actions of these false people.  Acting out of the character of Christ is important when there's slimy opponents.

Nathan Rousu

Larrchild

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:23:46 AM »

golden calves.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

ssltech

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 09:14:54 AM »

Sublime glutes.
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.