R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasp hive--leave it or deal with it?  (Read 10600 times)

Berolzheimer

Re: Wasp hive--leave it or deal with it?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 03:39:27 PM »

I think you should just lure them away with a big basket of Izod-Lacoste polo shirts.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Bill_Urick

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »

Berolzheimer wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 15:39

I think you should just lure them away with a big basket of Izod-Lacoste polo shirts.

Or perhaps the promise of a discount country club membership?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Paul Cavins

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 12:53:39 AM »

Don't get all hung up on wanting to be sensitive to a certain wasp nest.

They are fekking wasps. They are insects.

Is there a problem with there being too few wasp nests in your area, as far as the wasp population goes?  Be scientific about it.

If no, then nuke the crap out of those bastards with insecticide.

Don't pity individual wasps or a wasp colony. That is being unnecessarily sensitive. Don't let  your human emotions stop you from killing a bunch of wasps that are asking for it.

PC

arconaut

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 06:46:21 AM »

Wait, wait... I'll let "The Onion" pound my stupid joke once more:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/recently-single-al-gore-fin ally-able-to-listen-to,17824/

Recently Single Al Gore Finally Able To Listen To W.A.S.P. Albums
You Are Number Six

ktownson

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 00:53

Is there a problem with there being too few wasp nests in your area, as far as the wasp population goes?  Be scientific about it.

Don't pity individual wasps or a wasp colony. That is being unnecessarily sensitive. Don't let  your human emotions stop you from killing a bunch of wasps that are asking for it.

PC

There's a backstory here, isn't there? But I'm with you. I have 700 sq. ft. of porch around my house and the wasps love it right up to the point where I blast them with the knockdown spray and sweep their miserable abode away. My grandchildren are sensitive to insect venom, so I have little tolerance for the critters.

Years ago when we didn't care about the ozone layer, a friend who worked for the phone company gave me a can of what was essentially pressurized freon, made especially for the Bell companies. One shot and you had insect popsicles. I must admit it was great guilty fun to take one out of the air--they drop like a stone. A frost-covered stone.
"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »

If you don't destroy the enemy now, they will overwhelm you later.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

RSettee

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 23:53

PC

Hahahaa. I'm not really sure if they're "asking for it"--they're not technically disturbing anything, and they're high up enough that they're just going to the upper parts of the tree and then back to the hole in the wall, zip zip, in and out. Real diligent-like.  Smile I'm not even sure if anyone else knows they're there but me, they don't seem to fly far.

YZ

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 08:05:37 PM »

Well, they're building the nest so the bulk of their activity now is in the building.

Then they will feed the larvae for a while, and during that period the larvae will return the favor by giving them a sort of honey.

Then the larvae honey will end, and the wasps will go around looking for other sources of sweet: fruit, leftover soda and so forth.

That's the moment when human contact becomes inevitable.
regards,

YZ

Barry Hufker

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 11:44:47 PM »

"That's the moment when human contact becomes inevitable."

That's what the Wasp SETI program is all about (except for the extraterrestrial part).

Berolzheimer

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 01:04:13 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 20:44

"That's the moment when human contact becomes inevitable."

That's what the Wasp SETI program is all about (except for the extraterrestrial part).

So it's just a search for intelligence?

Good luck with that.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

RSettee

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »

YZ wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 19:05

Well, they're building the nest so the bulk of their activity now is in the building.

Then they will feed the larvae for a while, and during that period the larvae will return the favor by giving them a sort of honey.

Then the larvae honey will end, and the wasps will go around looking for other sources of sweet: fruit, leftover soda and so forth.

That's the moment when human contact becomes inevitable.

Aha! They'd most likely gravitate to the big garbage bin--all the way across the parking lot. I think that i'm gonna have to nuke 'em....sounds like they're fine for a period and then eventually have to search further and risk being in the places where people and kids actually are.

Edvaard

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 00:53

Don't pity individual wasps or a wasp colony. That is being unnecessarily sensitive.

Don't let  your human emotions stop you from killing a bunch of wasps that are asking for it.

PC

I disagree with the first and the last sentences, but everything inbetween is just all nature as it stands.

Kill them.

Sorry.

If they are so readily available in such a tough spot as you describe, rest assured, there are more to be found in great quantity nearby. You will not be put on any "endangered-species-faunicididal-maniac" list anytime soon.

They are not "asking for it," they are just dumb animals doing what they do, in great multitudes, and when it came to my own nieces & nephews vs. the several (amoungst who knows how many elsewhere) wasp nests, guess who's kin are going to be protected more?

Trust in nature.

ssltech

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »

Despite the many extinct animal species for which man has been responsible; Man -despite his very finest efforts- has yet to kill off a SINGLE insect species.

I use those "stand-well-back" 20-foot "jet of death" sprays which Terry mentioned.

Spray. Then be ready to run if necessary... (hence NEVER do this from a precarious position, eg halfway up a ladder) then let the wasps pick up the poison as they continue to enter and leave over the next hour.

The nest will be destroyed, your neighbours will be freed from their oppressive vespan overlords, and you will be hailed as a hero, paraded through the streets by ecstatic, cheering crowds. Young maidens will be pushed towards you by their grateful fathers, each eagerly grateful for you, and only too delighted for you to indulge yourself in whatever acts you wish, since nothing.... NOTHING is more than your due, you.. the conquering and avenging hero of the glorious masses.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

jetbase

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 06:55:58 PM »

ssltech wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 00:15

(hence NEVER do this from a precarious position, eg halfway up a ladder)

In other words, don't do it like me. Or, happy landings!
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

RSettee

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 07:11:09 PM »

ssltech wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 09:15

Despite the many extinct animal species for which man has been responsible; Man -despite his very finest efforts- has yet to kill off a SINGLE insect species.

I use those "stand-well-back" 20-foot "jet of death" sprays which Terry mentioned.

Spray. Then be ready to run if necessary... (hence NEVER do this from a precarious position, eg halfway up a ladder) then let the wasps pick up the poison as they continue to enter and leave over the next hour.

The nest will be destroyed, your neighbours will be freed from their oppressive vespan overlords, and you will be hailed as a hero, paraded through the streets by ecstatic, cheering crowds. Young maidens will be pushed towards you by their grateful fathers, each eagerly grateful for you, and only too delighted for you to indulge yourself in whatever acts you wish, since nothing.... NOTHING is more than your due, you.. the conquering and avenging hero of the glorious masses.

Keith

Maidens, you say? I had no idea this was such an important issue!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 16 queries.