R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasp hive--leave it or deal with it?  (Read 10604 times)

RSettee

Wasp hive--leave it or deal with it?
« on: August 01, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »

There's a wasp hive in the outer bricks of my apartment. Literally, every five seconds, wasps are going in or out. Several. Dunno whether it's 20 of 'em taking a couple of shifts, or whether it's many more than that. I'm usually just content to leave things be and I don't want to spray anything in there to kill anything, but if I leave it too late, who knows--they may find a way into the apartment through some sort of crevice. They're not really disturbing anything--not yet, anyways. Has anyone had any horror stories of wasp hives getting out of hand?

jetbase

Re: Wasp hive--leave it or deal with it?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »

I was once stung in the face by a wasp after I bumped a bush containing a wasp's nest whilst mowing the lawn. When I was a kid I accidentally stepped on a wasp and was stung multiple times in the foot, which resulted in blisters all over my foot. Best not to have wasps nests where people regularly are IMO. If I see a nest around the house I wait till evening & then spray it with bug spray & run. Next day I knock it off with a broom & throw it in the bin so that it can't be used again.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

ssltech

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »

Wasps -especially paper wasps- can be very destructive in terms of weakening wood structures.

Aside from that, the risk of accidental stinging can change, specially if the nest is 'discovered' by mischievous children, for example... Wasps from a colony which has been fairly easy-going and not bothersome to humans can become more pro-actively aggressive if they identify human shapes as 'tormentors'.

They usually -depending on the species- stay fairly close to the nest, gathering food and chewing wood from close by, to feed the young and expand the nest.

They usually die down (but not out) during the winter, but I make a point of removing active nests from around the house. -I usually have to remove around three nests each year. -Around here they also build nests under broad-leaf palms, which I discover when I trim the palms, and get stung by enraged wasps right after I cut the palm leaf in question...

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

RSettee

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 07:49:20 PM »

They're right by my window--i'm on the third floor, so there's no worries really, I think, about kids being stung. But seriously, i've watched them for awhile....every second, every five seconds, two or three wasps are leaving or entering the hole. I just wish that they'd built a hive near the forest by the river that's right behind the block. I think that they're going to the elm tree right by me, because they're flying short distances, and they're carrying what looks to be little parts of the leaves....maybe there's some sort of pollen or something sweet on those leaves.

Even if I did want to spray in there, i'd have to sort of go outside of the window and stretch--not easy to do, and with that much activity, i'd probably have a few seconds to do it before they'd alert each other and I could get the shit stung out of me anyways....this is probably one of the weirdest threads that i've started here, heh.

Is there anything to spray in there that makes it unpleasant enough to get them to leave without killing them?

PookyNMR

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:55:34 PM »

RSettee wrote on Sun, 01 August 2010 17:49

is there anything to spray in there that makes it unpleasant enough to get them to leave without killing them?

Smoke.  They hate smoke.  With smaller hives it can work quite quickly.  With larger hives it can take a while for them to move one.
Nathan Rousu

arconaut

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:44:50 PM »

You said, "apartment," so maybe there is a super or landlord who might deal with it? Or wouldn't they be responsive to this sort of thing?
You Are Number Six

Bill_Urick

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Animal-Pest- Control/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zars1/R-100185806/h_d2/ProductDispl ay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 06:21:24 AM »

In our case, where my wife is deathly allergic to wasps, we have to take them out wherever possible.

Be sure to use the special wasp and hornet spray that can be shot at force from up to twenty feet away. Instant knockdown, little danger.

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 06:21

Be sure to use the special wasp and hornet spray that can be shot at force from up to twenty feet away. Instant knockdown, little danger.

Just put out your cigarette first.
Philip

Taproot

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:40:35 AM »

A thick mixture of dishwashing liquid and warm/hot water will do the trick too. Not instant, but it works and not as toxic.

They are going to the Elm tree to get bark, to make the paper for their nest.

Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Barry Hufker

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »

This is tangential but I've been reading several threads today so forgive me.

Once the hive has been removed (and you're back from the hospital), take one of the more "open" sections of the hive (of the kind below) and try it as a windscreen/pop filter.  I don't know if it works.  I'm just suggesting to try it - seriously.  What is there to lose?  I think it might work quite well.  After all, penicillin came to us as a medicine because somebody didn't keep his home particularly tidy.

index.php/fa/15175/0/

Barry

RSettee

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 10:22:15 AM »

arconaut wrote on Sun, 01 August 2010 21:44

You said, "apartment," so maybe there is a super or landlord who might deal with it? Or wouldn't they be responsive to this sort of thing?

I could get them to do it, yeah. Maybe i'll go that route.

Taproot wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 08:40

A thick mixture of dishwashing liquid and warm/hot water will do the trick too. Not instant, but it works and not as toxic.

They are going to the Elm tree to get bark, to make the paper for their nest.

Good to know, thanks!

RMoore

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »

RSettee wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 01:49

I think that they're going to the elm tree right by me, because they're flying short distances, and they're carrying what looks to be little parts of the leaves....maybe there's some sort of pollen or something sweet on those leaves.

They might be collecting insects for food.

In the early part of the Summer & Fall wasps (yellowjackets) forage for protein-rich sources & feed them to their larvae who give off drops of a sweet nectar for the adults - when the larvae are full grown, that's when you see wasps becoming more of a 'nuisance' out searching for sweet stuff, drinks, rotting fruit etc.

Ever been 'dive-bombed' by wasps in the forest? Its not an aggressive move - its that they perceive us as a big lumbering animal which might be surrounded by flies. They are looking to pick off a fly.

I was amazed to learn this & ever since, I have a lot less fear about wasps.
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

arconaut

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »

The worst thing about a wasp is the horrible racket they make:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp0s27tIqRY&feature=relat ed
You Are Number Six

Taproot

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 03:07:13 PM »

FYI, once you get rid of them, get the nest and go fishing. The larvae make excellent bait for Bream.  Smile
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Berolzheimer

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 03:39:27 PM »

I think you should just lure them away with a big basket of Izod-Lacoste polo shirts.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Bill_Urick

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »

Berolzheimer wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 15:39

I think you should just lure them away with a big basket of Izod-Lacoste polo shirts.

Or perhaps the promise of a discount country club membership?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Paul Cavins

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 12:53:39 AM »

Don't get all hung up on wanting to be sensitive to a certain wasp nest.

They are fekking wasps. They are insects.

Is there a problem with there being too few wasp nests in your area, as far as the wasp population goes?  Be scientific about it.

If no, then nuke the crap out of those bastards with insecticide.

Don't pity individual wasps or a wasp colony. That is being unnecessarily sensitive. Don't let  your human emotions stop you from killing a bunch of wasps that are asking for it.

PC

arconaut

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 06:46:21 AM »

Wait, wait... I'll let "The Onion" pound my stupid joke once more:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/recently-single-al-gore-fin ally-able-to-listen-to,17824/

Recently Single Al Gore Finally Able To Listen To W.A.S.P. Albums
You Are Number Six

ktownson

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 00:53

Is there a problem with there being too few wasp nests in your area, as far as the wasp population goes?  Be scientific about it.

Don't pity individual wasps or a wasp colony. That is being unnecessarily sensitive. Don't let  your human emotions stop you from killing a bunch of wasps that are asking for it.

PC

There's a backstory here, isn't there? But I'm with you. I have 700 sq. ft. of porch around my house and the wasps love it right up to the point where I blast them with the knockdown spray and sweep their miserable abode away. My grandchildren are sensitive to insect venom, so I have little tolerance for the critters.

Years ago when we didn't care about the ozone layer, a friend who worked for the phone company gave me a can of what was essentially pressurized freon, made especially for the Bell companies. One shot and you had insect popsicles. I must admit it was great guilty fun to take one out of the air--they drop like a stone. A frost-covered stone.
"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »

If you don't destroy the enemy now, they will overwhelm you later.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

RSettee

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 23:53

PC

Hahahaa. I'm not really sure if they're "asking for it"--they're not technically disturbing anything, and they're high up enough that they're just going to the upper parts of the tree and then back to the hole in the wall, zip zip, in and out. Real diligent-like.  Smile I'm not even sure if anyone else knows they're there but me, they don't seem to fly far.

YZ

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 08:05:37 PM »

Well, they're building the nest so the bulk of their activity now is in the building.

Then they will feed the larvae for a while, and during that period the larvae will return the favor by giving them a sort of honey.

Then the larvae honey will end, and the wasps will go around looking for other sources of sweet: fruit, leftover soda and so forth.

That's the moment when human contact becomes inevitable.
regards,

YZ

Barry Hufker

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 11:44:47 PM »

"That's the moment when human contact becomes inevitable."

That's what the Wasp SETI program is all about (except for the extraterrestrial part).

Berolzheimer

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 01:04:13 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 20:44

"That's the moment when human contact becomes inevitable."

That's what the Wasp SETI program is all about (except for the extraterrestrial part).

So it's just a search for intelligence?

Good luck with that.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

RSettee

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »

YZ wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 19:05

Well, they're building the nest so the bulk of their activity now is in the building.

Then they will feed the larvae for a while, and during that period the larvae will return the favor by giving them a sort of honey.

Then the larvae honey will end, and the wasps will go around looking for other sources of sweet: fruit, leftover soda and so forth.

That's the moment when human contact becomes inevitable.

Aha! They'd most likely gravitate to the big garbage bin--all the way across the parking lot. I think that i'm gonna have to nuke 'em....sounds like they're fine for a period and then eventually have to search further and risk being in the places where people and kids actually are.

Edvaard

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 00:53

Don't pity individual wasps or a wasp colony. That is being unnecessarily sensitive.

Don't let  your human emotions stop you from killing a bunch of wasps that are asking for it.

PC

I disagree with the first and the last sentences, but everything inbetween is just all nature as it stands.

Kill them.

Sorry.

If they are so readily available in such a tough spot as you describe, rest assured, there are more to be found in great quantity nearby. You will not be put on any "endangered-species-faunicididal-maniac" list anytime soon.

They are not "asking for it," they are just dumb animals doing what they do, in great multitudes, and when it came to my own nieces & nephews vs. the several (amoungst who knows how many elsewhere) wasp nests, guess who's kin are going to be protected more?

Trust in nature.

ssltech

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »

Despite the many extinct animal species for which man has been responsible; Man -despite his very finest efforts- has yet to kill off a SINGLE insect species.

I use those "stand-well-back" 20-foot "jet of death" sprays which Terry mentioned.

Spray. Then be ready to run if necessary... (hence NEVER do this from a precarious position, eg halfway up a ladder) then let the wasps pick up the poison as they continue to enter and leave over the next hour.

The nest will be destroyed, your neighbours will be freed from their oppressive vespan overlords, and you will be hailed as a hero, paraded through the streets by ecstatic, cheering crowds. Young maidens will be pushed towards you by their grateful fathers, each eagerly grateful for you, and only too delighted for you to indulge yourself in whatever acts you wish, since nothing.... NOTHING is more than your due, you.. the conquering and avenging hero of the glorious masses.

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

jetbase

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 06:55:58 PM »

ssltech wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 00:15

(hence NEVER do this from a precarious position, eg halfway up a ladder)

In other words, don't do it like me. Or, happy landings!
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

RSettee

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 07:11:09 PM »

ssltech wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 09:15

Despite the many extinct animal species for which man has been responsible; Man -despite his very finest efforts- has yet to kill off a SINGLE insect species.

I use those "stand-well-back" 20-foot "jet of death" sprays which Terry mentioned.

Spray. Then be ready to run if necessary... (hence NEVER do this from a precarious position, eg halfway up a ladder) then let the wasps pick up the poison as they continue to enter and leave over the next hour.

The nest will be destroyed, your neighbours will be freed from their oppressive vespan overlords, and you will be hailed as a hero, paraded through the streets by ecstatic, cheering crowds. Young maidens will be pushed towards you by their grateful fathers, each eagerly grateful for you, and only too delighted for you to indulge yourself in whatever acts you wish, since nothing.... NOTHING is more than your due, you.. the conquering and avenging hero of the glorious masses.

Keith

Maidens, you say? I had no idea this was such an important issue!

RSettee

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 02:19:58 AM »

Do wasps sleep at night? I looked and there's no activity....at least tonight. They're getting out of hand, so i'll have to ambush them.....

ssltech

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 01:39:48 PM »

I think that they may be largely mono-phasic, and rest at might... but I'm no expert. Certainly they seem less active durin the cooler darkness hours.

Keith

Jeff Roberts

Kill those evil striped creatures!
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »

This is a rather timely topic for me as I was just stung six times.

I have throbbing and swelling hands now.

I was chain sawing some little trees when I saw SEVERAL wasps on my right hand, stinging away. As I was trying to brush them off  (tough to do while holding a running chain saw) I noticed that I was standing on the hole-in-the-ground nest,
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
LatchLake@aol.com

"When it all hits the fan, the only things left will be cockroaches and Latch Lake mic stands."
Reese Boisse

Barry Hufker

Re: Kill those evil striped creatures!
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »

This is why The Good Lord invented dynamite -- or illegal fireworks...

and flamethrowers....

and napalm...

ssltech

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »

Like Terry (possibly the only area in which I can claim 'parity' with him!), my wife is extremely allergic to stings, and carries an 'Epipen' for that eventuality.

Hence I have to keep the hives under control at home.

I just noticed two large nests here at work... They're about six feet over the main entrance to the main loading bay, near my workshop back-door.

They're Toast.

Twisted Evil

RSettee

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 06:45:45 PM »

Update--I emptied a can of Raid wasp spray into the nest in the bricks a few days ago. Didn't appear to do much at all. Today, an exterminator got a ladder (must have been called by someone else in the apartment), and just powdered/ sprayed in there. Apparently people were getting stung in the front  of the building....i'm in the back. By the time that i'd noticed that there must have been a hive, i'm pretty sure it was pretty big....just sort of noticed it inadvertently.

They're all outside of the bricks/ hive, flying around trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Do they try forever to get back in to appease the queen and get at the larvae, or do they eventually move on?

Barry Hufker

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 12:26:15 AM »

The Japanese always do it right.

http://gizmodo.com/5671916/man-builds-overly+elaborate-human oid-robot-to-deal-with-his-wasp-problem

Barry

Ryan Slowey

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 06:21

to

That stuff is crazy. When my mom and stepdad moved into a HUD home, my first task in the renovation process was destroying a massive hive in the ceiling of one of the "bedrooms".

That spray is incredible. Instant death. They were dropping like, errr, flies. Just pouring out of the hole in the ceiling.

Wear a mask of course. There's a bit of mist that comes directly from the spout that'll get up your nose if you're not careful.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

YZ

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 12:29:46 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Wed, 27 October 2010 02:26

The Japanese always do it right.

http://gizmodo.com/5671916/man-builds-overly+elaborate-human oid-robot-to-deal-with-his-wasp-problem

Barry

and the robot had to be 'female'...

which reminds me of a story about a guy who went to East Asia and made friends with a local; one day he asked why the friend's wives were walking 20 feet behind him and the reply was "to show respect for the husband".

A war broke up, the westerner left for the duration and upon returning he met the local friend again, but this time the wives were walking 20 feet ahead of him; he asked jokingly "woman's lib?" and got a serious reply "no, land mines and snipers".
regards,

YZ

Les Ismore

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »

I have had several wasp nests (big ones) that I thought I would have to take drastic measures to deal with. Turns out that these ones only use a nest for one season and then move by themselves.
Problem solved!
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

rphilbeck

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »

This commercial airs on the radio regarding another type of pest.  Hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhXl9_K_9qE

Barry Hufker

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »

That's great!

Although, I'm still a fan of flamethrowers.

Barry

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 20 queries.