R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brauner KHE Pop Filter + General Pop Filter Discussion  (Read 22830 times)

Fletcher

Re: Brauner Pop Filter opinions
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 07:47:58 AM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Sat, 31 July 2010 17:36

I found a good compromise between protection and acoustic transparency in using a wooden crochet ring, minimum of 8 inches, with two planes of single layer hose/stocking material lightly tensioned across and mated to a standard mic stand thread.

Interestingly, I have found the least "sonic signature" from using a tighter tension and larger holder than a "crochet ring".

While it usually looks like ass, I've found that by taking a wire coat hanger, bending it out to be about square [then straighten the "coat hook" part of the hanger and gaff it to a mic stand] with a tightly stretched "knee high" stocking affects the sound less than any other "spit shield" I have ever encountered.

As you have the two layers [one on each side of the wire] it does a great job of stopping flying spit.  By tensioning the hose rather tightly it also helps a bit in stopping plosives [though its not the "be all / end all" my any stretch of the imagination].

Guess its one of those "Your Mileage May Vary" things.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

bob ebeling

Re: Brauner KHE Pop Filter Opinions and Options
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »

Fletcher, I once had something similar rigged up (not so square) and my client showed up the next day with a gift for me-- a Shure Pop Stopper.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 03:30:40 PM »

I hope you deleted him.

piedpiper

Re: Brauner Pop Filter opinions
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 04:00:14 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 04 August 2010 06:47

By tensioning the hose rather tightly it also helps a bit in stopping plosives [though its not the "be all / end all" my any stretch of the imagination].

You mean, "by any stretch of the stocking"?
Tim Britton

row, row, row your boat...

bob ebeling

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 04:59:03 PM »

I went to Ben Franklin craftstore today to buy the knitting rings.  Got a 4",6", 8", and a 6x9"! all for $7.  Bought a 12 pack of black knee highs at K-mart -$2.99.  Also at the Ben F I bought a yard and a half of black tull (pronounced tool)--a wedding dress fabric, $1.70.  Looks real cool.  

An hour later I have assembled the 4 pop filters for the grand total of what..$12 plus 2 hours and gas.  

Now the big mystery.  How do I mount these things?  I'm thinking of trying to find some of the ultra useful clamp style mic-clips with screw tighten downs.  Those things are impossible to find and probably the most useful utilitarian mic clip ever made.  I've trusted the big dogs hanging upside down with those but damn if I have none in my tackle boxes.

I'll see how they stack up against the Pauly.  JJ's shootout was pretty good but I have to think different voices are going to be a factor.  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 05:25:50 PM »

bob ebeling wrote on Wed, 04 August 2010 13:59

How do I mount these things?  I'm thinking of trying to find some of the ultra useful clamp style mic-clips with screw tighten downs.  

Bingo! I used a Radio Shack mic clip found at a Goodwill store. It has the proper female threading for mic stands. I then connected it to the two loops at the bottom of the crochet ring. Done.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

bob ebeling

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »

I just figured this out; the mass market pop filters are basically plastic crochet rings, so the parts are all the same.   I simply took off the supplied filter from a Shure type one on a gooseneck and installed the newly created crochet ring filter.  The parts are the same.

For the other 8" ring I found enough parts in the magic toolboxes - an xy clip, etc. to make it work.  I will say that the 8" ring looks really cool.  That's twice the usual size and for use on the CS-1, which requires some backing up, that will be perfect.  This 8" one recieved four plys of the tull fabric.  Testing myself it seemes transparent and stops the pops.  I also spit tested it and nothing went through.  Easy to clean also.

Thank you Klaus~!
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 05:57:02 PM »

One other fact; you can replace the hosiery on these crochet rings in about 30 seconds.  Fresh filters for everyone!index.php/fa/15190/0/
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

piedpiper

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 10:20:51 AM »

bob ebeling wrote on Wed, 04 August 2010 16:40

This 8" one recieved four plys of the tull fabric.

Was two plys not enough?
Tim Britton

row, row, row your boat...

bob ebeling

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »

The tull is pretty thin and two wasn't stopping the pop, let the alone the fear of spit.  It's in an x pattern so when I folded the double over again, the x's all started overlapping nicely.  You can't slip it over the ring like hosiery because it's not elastic.  So it ended up being 4 plys on one side of the ring, much the way the crocheters use the rings.  

If you wanted to get creative, they had about 40 colors of that tull.  Some crazy purples, etc..

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »

index.php/fa/15192/0/

Hard to photograph....
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Doc B.

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 02:23:55 PM »

I've made a few of these myself, pretty much as Klaus describes.
I found that tilting the filter off of perpendicular with respect to the vocalist/capsule axis, to deflect some of the air, does seem to help.

Fletcher's idea of a thinner ring material and somewhat random shape makes sense, as any depth to the circular ring will theoretically create some wee bit of reflection and also a bit of cavity resonance. Also the ring causes some wee bit of diffraction (good reason to make the filter a large diameter relative to the vocalist/capsule distance).

My attempted solution to these issues was to cut a strip of wool felt about 1/2" thick and the same width as the depth of the ring, and glue this around the inside of the ring to soften the hard edge before stretching the stocking over it. Unfortunately the only pic I have is at the wrong angle to show the felt (it's also smaller than Klaus recommends, and yeah, it's not tilted like I said I do). But you can see some ripple to the stocking around the edge where it touches the felt inside.

I found the result pretty subtle, but it's certainly easy to do and I'd be interested to hear if anyone else tried it and hears a difference.
index.php/fa/15211/0/
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
Bottlehead Corp.
www.bottlehead.com
The Tape Project, LLC
www.tapeproject.com

bob ebeling

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »

Hi Dan,

I will try some felt or similar material out this week.  I'm believing now that it is the depth of the circular ring that is causing the high end issues with most filters.  I'm also going to experiment more with the 6x9 ring.

Today I recorded an aggresive R&B tenor male and we messed with three different filters for the first 10 minutes.  My 8" Tull covered ring seemed bright on this guy, the picture shows the winner.  The Pauly.  Go figure-- holes all around the ring.  It was simply the most transparent.  The close second was my double nylon layered 4" crochet ring, pictured behind.  I wonder if I were able to drill holes all around the circumfrence...?  But felt is the next try.

Dan, give me your take on the Brauner filter.  I'm tempted on looks alone, and massive seeming protection, but do you find a large impact or essy escalation?

index.php/fa/15212/0/

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »

Please tell more about the 'Pauly. I am unaware of it. Is that what is pictured?

I am fowling this thread with interest, as I use a Manley Gold Ref.  It was designed to allow the user to devise his/her own screen / filter as needed. I also have had less than great results with standard popper stopper type filters. Usually, I get best results with a regular wind sock stretched over the head grill. Here, my fear is the crumble from these (well documented here by K.H.) will eventually contaminate the capsule.

I am now thinking I want to put silk, a la RCA 77, under the foam sock in order to protect the capsule from the crumbs of the foam.
 I worked in a studio that put Sonex-type material inside the popper stopper around the edge. They claimed it cut reflection from the rim. I dismissed this as over- thinking the problem. But I am thinking there must be some validity to this and will try it.
 The Gold ref. often sits in its box, because I haven't found a solution that works for enough singers whom I encounter. (...) I might get a lot more use out of this mic, if I had a better filter option.
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

bob ebeling

Re: Brauner KHE Pop Filter + General Pop Filter Discussion
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 04:50:29 PM »

The Pauly is indeed pictured and sold in the US by Las Vegas Pro Audio.  There are other companies now making high end filters.    

One is called the Blastfilter I believe.  Both the Blast and the Pauly are over $200.  I had to try making some filters for comparison.  For me the Pauly works, or stays out of the way.  It is better than my four utilitarian attempts, thus far.    

The lining of the inner rim with some high/mid absorbing material seems to be the next step.  The holes used in the Pauly is the better solution.  One of the crochet rings I bought is a 6x9 and I think that could be interesting, but I haven't tried it yet, and then again it might need lined rims anyway.  

If you've got a beautiful mic that is not being used out of fear, just dive into the pop filter mania and get yourself over it.  For me, the joy of engineering is the joy of using great tools to get the little hairs standing on end.

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.