R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pet Peeve  (Read 16655 times)

Garrett H

Re: Pet Peeve
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2010, 10:53:46 PM »

I'm sorry if you call a BeLOW pass a Low Pass and I'm sorry if you call an AboveHIGH pass a High Pass.  

I asked for explanations, and got them, including bonus Gandalf footage.

No one wants to answer the CONTEXT.  The Mackie Example.  Or the mastering EQ example.  Or, a third example:  I pull my NS-10 speaker out of its cabinet, wire it to a 1/4 connector.  Placing it in front of a bass drum its now a microphone.  Minutes before it was a speaker.  Both transducers, but no one would call it a speaker in front of the kick drum, and no one would call it a microphone set up in its cab on top of my console and no one should call a filter that only goes to 250 Hz a HIGH PASS FILTER ... but I am tilting windmills with this audience.

I meant to beat manufacturers and silk screeners about the head and shoulders with pointed (and/or blunt sticks, maces, flails, cudgels, morning stars, Bohemian ear spoons, etc.), not any of YOU gentle contributors. Again, I very well was misleading in my first (admittedly vague) missive, for which I apologize a THIRD time.

Lord in Heaven.  Bethel has over 9,957,084 posts suggesting audio engineers commit immediate mass suicide (spanning multiple boards and eras) and I ask a single question... I can't even write what I want to write for decency's sake......

Where for art thou Gin/Vodka/Scotch...

You people are mean and make me sad.

Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

ssltech

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2010, 12:27:39 AM »

I'm sorry that you appear to be so cynical.

Much of what you disparage as the "bonus Gandalf footage" is in fact context.

I brought up the 'Optimod' not to disport any superior knowledge, but rather to illustrate why very useful filters may not fit into your narrower definitions. Additional information is frequently stimulative and informative to the fertile mind.

You strike me as someone who came not so much to seek enlightenment as to propose bending convention to suit you.

Additionally, your reply regarding cascading shelving filters still illustrates more than one error in comprehension, by the way.

And "wherefore" is a single word, and ends with an 'e'. -Also, unless I misunderstand your use of the fords "where" and "for", you also appear to have misunderstood the meaning of "wherefore". -It does not mean 'where' as in 'whither', it means "for what reason" or "why".

I'm in a rather better mood now, but I do feel that you're still rather wide of the mark in your comprehension. -It makes me hope that your contributions to 'Tape Op' are reviewed by a competent editor.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2010, 06:13:47 AM »

Garrett H wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 03:53

No one wants to answer the CONTEXT.

The terms "low cut" and "high cut" are not used because they are too general. They apply to a LPF or HPF, but they ALSO apply to a bell or a shelf. "Below pass filter" and "above pass filter" are technically correct, but are a grammatical nightmare.

"High" and "low" are relative terms. "High" does NOT mean "treble," it just means "higher than some other frequency." Therefore, the terms HPF and LPF are perfectly correct. To a broadcast engineer, anything below the megahertz range is "low." To a seismologist, anything above the subsonic range is "high." Filters are used in many different fields, and they are not ALL going to change their terminology just because it confuses you.

If "high" meant "treble," then a LPF that filters out RF interference would simultaneously be a HPF, because it lets through the treble. This is obviously nonsense.

Get a book on EQ design and learn how 3 simple components form the building blocks of all EQ's. A capacitor is a high-pass filter. But if it's connected in shunt, it acts as a low-pass filter. An inductor is the reverse.

RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.