R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10% unemployment? Solved!  (Read 1577 times)

Bill_Urick

10% unemployment? Solved!
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:12:34 PM »

The answer seems fairly simple.

10% unemployment? Require every business in the US to hire 10% more workers.

Since you can't hire a fraction of a person, and only full time jobs count, it would work like this:

For every 10th employee you hire one.
Nine, you're off the hook.
Ten->nineteen, you hire one.
Ninety-nine, you hire nine.
One hundred, you hire ten.

What could go wrong?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

YZ

Re: 10% unemployment? Solved!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:35:40 PM »

every business would fire 10% of their current workforce before the law goes into effect.

Then every business, after the law, would stop hiring when near crossing the "9" line to avoid having to hire more than needed.

Efficiency and productivity would diminish, costs will rise, product/service quality would suffer because with zero unemployment comes the other side of the coin: people who aren't fit for the jobs are employed, slacking off or working below standard.

A healthy society has to have a certain percentage of unemployment in all fields; my speculation is that the figure is around 4%, before "unemployables" start to get employment they don't deserve.

Would you like to be cared for by a doctor who was hired only due to the "10% law"?
regards,

YZ

Hallams

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »

Surely the solution lies in cutting the funding to the out of control US intelligence (lack thereof) agencies by70%....            [ see:
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/32086/5706/] and redirecting the funds towards employment growth initiatives in the private sector.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:09:31 PM »

YZ wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 21:35

every business would fire 10% of their current workforce before the law goes into effect.

Then every business, after the law, would stop hiring when near crossing the "9" line to avoid having to hire more than needed.

Efficiency and productivity would diminish, costs will rise, product/service quality would suffer because with zero unemployment comes the other side of the coin: people who aren't fit for the jobs are employed, slacking off or working below standard.

A healthy society has to have a certain percentage of unemployment in all fields; my speculation is that the figure is around 4%, before "unemployables" start to get employment they don't deserve.

Would you like to be cared for by a doctor who was hired only due to the "10% law"?

Are you saying that people might actually alter their behavior in response to such a mandate?

Next you'll tell me that raising tax rates lowers overall revenue.

Static modeling, dude. That's what works.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

YZ

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:02:13 AM »

You can guide the market and show the overall direction you want it to go, but if you try to force it into a narrow alley it will react strongly.
regards,

YZ

Bill_Urick

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:37:39 AM »

Much like herding cats.

ssltech

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »

Actually the first thing that analogy made me think of, was my dating years...

Embarassed
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Bill_Urick

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »

Which anal-ogy was that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 14 queries.