R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trident 80 thread match  (Read 5533 times)

Dusk Bennett

Trident 80 thread match
« on: July 15, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »

I'm at the end of my rope so I'm posting here in hopes someone has crossed this path before me.

I'm restoring a Trident 80 from '84. Unfortunately the posidrive teeth on all of the fasteners have been severely damaged over the years by inappropriate use of a Phillips style driver. I have taken the screws to a few dealers here in LA and it appears all of the fasteners utilize a thread no one can identify, metric or otherwise. The shaft appears to be a 3.5mm.

The console uses the same screw diameter and thread for the fader trough, patch cards, and meter panels but for the life of me I cannot find a replacement.

Based on this can anyone shed light on what taps might have been used back then or point me to someone who can help me replace rather than re-tap? Re-tapping is not a option I wish to pursue.
----
Dusk Bennett
Artist Development/Production
Audio Engineering
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Ryan Massey

Re: Trident 80 thread match
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:28:34 PM »

Hi Dusk-
I imagine the problem you are having is that the screws use a BA (British Association) thread, which is neither metric nor American standard.  When I first took over maintenance of our Trident TSM this puzzled the hell out of me.  From what I recall, they can still be had, but are expensive.  I'm sure others around here will know more- you may want to post in Dave Hecht's forum...
Cheers,
Ryan
   =www.sharkbitestudios.com=

Dusk Bennett

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »

I was wondering if they could be a BA screw but someone told me that pozidrive was not a standard head for them, which sort of left it open to question.

At this point money is less of an issue. We need the screws. I'll take this over there and see what I can muster up.

Thanks!
----
Dusk Bennett
Artist Development/Production
Audio Engineering
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »

There was also a thread known as "Wentworth", which was also a real bitch [ran into it on a bunch of Neve
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

rankus

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Thu, 15 July 2010 15:46

There was also a thread known as "Wentworth", which was also a real bitch [ran into it on a bunch of Neve
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

johnR

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »

Farnell in the UK still have quite a few BA screw sizes in stock, including some 4BA Pozidriv. They're old stock and aren't manufactured any more, so once they're gone they're gone. I've been stocking up on them for old Neve stuff.

On the subject of Whitworth, a lot of the thread pitches are the same as UNC. The head sizes on hex bolts are different (and awkward multiples of 1/32", which makes buying wrenches a lot of fun). Whitworth thread angle is 55 degrees and UNC is 60 degrees, but for non-critical applications certain sizes are more or less interchangeable in an emergency. After owning and working on old British and American motorcycles for several decades I have a lot of both lying around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up