R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha Console/API Clone?  (Read 32855 times)

0dbfs

Re: Yamaha Console/API Clone?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 10:40:42 AM »

I believe that the M1516, M1532, and M916 use the same DOA (Discrete-Op-Amps) as the PM1k/2k...

This would be the main reason the consoles are referred to as "API Clones". API's use their own 2520 DOA while these yammi's use their own DOA which is apparently pin compatible with the 2520's...

The M series are also x-former i/o balanced although I'm not sure if it's the same part as in the PM's.

The channel-strips do not have a direct out, although they do have an insert send that is post EQ and unbalanced. The x-former balanced/modded channel DirectOuts's on the PM1k mentioned earlier may be connected up to the same point that the inserts were.

I don't have one of these consoles but I have been looking at them lately.

It appears to me that the pre-amp input section is use-able if you implement some sort of direct out...

The bus and master section is where it falls down IMHO.

If you are into DIY you can probably do something with it interesting. If you aren't then expecting a 32 channel API from a $2000 yammi is a bit of a stretch.

Cheers,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

Matt Allen

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »

I worked two days on the console above that Fletcher sold at the owners studio in Nashville.

I will say in advance, it was difficult to hear anything, because I was in the same room with the musicians (not my choice), and there was a bad buzz in the headphone out.

The setup was the Pm1000 with 1-8 direct out to a MCI 110C 8 track, outputs returning to 9-16.
If I remember right you have to buss to the 4 outputs because there wasn't really a 2 mix, but then out of the buss you have another gain stage that was like main out.
I can't precisely remember, but I know it was kind of tough for me to find good gain staging throughout.

I didn't use the PM1000 preamps, because when I got there all his external pres were already plugged up and that's what he wanted.
10db of high end eq means 10db of noise included.
I don't think it sounded horrible, but I'm not too used to guerilla recording.
The situation made me not enjoy the console too much, though it probably wasn't its fault!
Matt "Buster" Allen
www.allen-sound.com

NelsonL

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 12:54:55 PM »

0dbfs wrote on Wed, 26 November 2008 07:40

I believe that the M1516, M1532, and M916 use the same DOA (Discrete-Op-Amps) as the PM1k/2k...

This would be the main reason the consoles are referred to as "API Clones". API's use their own 2520 DOA while these yammi's use their own DOA which is apparently pin compatible with the 2520's...

The M series are also x-former i/o balanced although I'm not sure if it's the same part as in the PM's.

The channel-strips do not have a direct out, although they do have an insert send that is post EQ and unbalanced. The x-former balanced/modded channel DirectOuts's on the PM1k mentioned earlier may be connected up to the same point that the inserts were.

I don't have one of these consoles but I have been looking at them lately.

It appears to me that the pre-amp input section is use-able if you implement some sort of direct out...

The bus and master section is where it falls down IMHO.

If you are into DIY you can probably do something with it interesting. If you aren't then expecting a 32 channel API from a $2000 yammi is a bit of a stretch.

Cheers,
j

Also, as I understand it, the PM1K is fully discrete, but the PM2K is not. I think the PM1K may be unique in that regard.

PookyNMR

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »

What about the PM1800?  I may be able to get a good deal on one in good condition.  Do they sound good?  I've used the 2K, 3K, 4k, etc, but never one of these.
Nathan Rousu

Greg Dixon

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »

Yes, the PM1000s are all discrete. I bought 4 modules and racked them up. I'm running them with an unbalanced output and they sound good. Not at all noisy. I've never heard them in a desk, but from what others are saying, it seems like bypassing the busses is a good thing.

The other reason they might be noisy and mushy, is the need for the electrolytic caps to be replaced.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »

John Windt who had previously worked for Quad-Eight (and Motown in Detroit) played a big part in the design of the PM-1000.

Pellet101

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »

I am in the process of putting together a studio around an yamaha m1516. I dont ahve a lot of experience with professional gear, but so far I am positive about the sound. The best outboard preamp I have in my studio is a focusrite green series, and based on preliminary tests I think the m1516 sounds better. I tracked drums and the sound off the desk was very good, although I am having trouble with my recorder. The m1516 doesnt have direct outs, so I am recording via the inserts, which operate at -6db nominal. I am wondering if this is a problem  - interfacing with my digital interface (which accepts +4db) or my multitrack (which operates at -10db). Does anyone know if this is a serious issue? I note that most outboard compressors operate at +4, so I dont know why they would design the inserts to operate at -6db?

Pellet101

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 06:41:22 AM »

Not that anyone cares, but an update 1 year on, did some more tracking tonight and I was just reflecting that I never recall getting a bad sound out of my M1516.  Did vocals tonight and they sounded great too.  THe high EQ is great but I dont care for the rest.  I just use the thing as my analog front end and monitoring / talkback section. I really like this desk.

Jim Williams

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »

Replace the old 2SC1000 transistors with 2SC3329 or 2SC2545 and the hiss goes away...
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Tapani Rauha

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 03:06:21 AM »

I have PM1000 preamp modules but with caps and power supplies etc replaced by supposedly better stuff. The sound is exceptionally big in a transparentish accurate kind of way which may not be as pleasing for vocals as the pleasant sponginess/roundness/mushiness of some Neves.

Pushing the gain adds pleasant color and character. The top end is crispy in the API sort of way. Probably great for drums. The preamp modules with the output transformers from the same board are certainly VERY useful, especially considering price.

I would certainly rate these way above Chameleon Labs and Golden age Neve clone stuff.

Old PM1000s deserve salvaging from getting thrown into the garbage.
We have a responsibility for kindness, try it and see how far the ripples carry...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 18 queries.