R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I got a new car by accident.  (Read 6797 times)

Adam The Truck Driver

Re: I got a new car by accident.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »

I covered a mix, but mostly highway, with some city driving too. The Prius is actually supposed to get better fuel mileage in town, as it will use the electric motor more than the gas engine.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Fri, 25 June 2010 21:03

Forward or reverse?

Either way, still impressive.

Barry

Probably not more than a 100 yards in reverse. I like the back up cam though.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 06:17:42 PM »

I like reverse, because you are usually more familiar with the territory being covered.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 06:34:10 PM »

I really like that Terry.  Now that you mention it, it is more important to know where you've been than where you are going.  And in reverse you have both.

compasspnt

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 09:45:25 PM »

Yes, you can see what's ahead of you, yet you are in a familiar place.

ssltech

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 10:40:42 AM »

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/move_it/5%20Things/tyrone1.jpg

From 1:40 in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Zbz_weDgQ

Quote:

"Whatcha do that for?"

"I didn't SEE it there!"

"It's a four-ton truck Tyrone, it's not as if it's a f#%!ing packet of peanuts, is it?"

"...it was at A FUNNY ANGLE!!!"

"It's behind you Tyrone... whenever you reverse, things come from behind you!"

http://jdlong.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/c-mater.jpeg
Quote:

Ain't no need to look where I'm goin'... -Just need to know where I've been!
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 10:55:25 AM »

You guys...Though this one model I bought hasn't got these things I'm about to mention, these are available options to the driving impaired: self parallel parking, brake assist, lane control, following distance control.

One can also get an optional solar panel, which will power the a/c, cooling the car before you get in it.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

ssltech

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »

Technically I believe the solar option powers the VENTILATION, not the A/C.

This basically purges the superheated air, reducing the heating above ambient outside temperatures, but NOT reducing below ambient temperatures, which A/C would.

For what it's worth, I've added automatic window and sunroof control to two of my cars, to achieve a similar ventilated-cooling effect. The rain sensor is programmed to close everything up in the event of a shower, for example.

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 12:24:31 PM »

I'd have to look it up to double check, but the key fob for that option says A/C above the button, in the dvd for the Prius model...and the sales guy mentioned it as an option. Mine is basic, but with nav and jbl.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

ssltech

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »

Sales guys are famous for saying stuff which isn't true... -And if it nets them a sale... hey, everything's fair, apparently.

For the record, I've NEVER seen a solar powered A/C system capable of keeping a vehicle interior even moderately temperate which is ANYWHERE NEAR small enough to be vehicle-mounted. -Most would need about five parking spaces worth of Photo-Voltaic cell surface area... and even then would probably only do a poor job.

http://jalopnik.com/5232393/2010-toyota-prius-solar-powered- ventilation-system

-Apparently the reason your car doesn't have it is probably because they can't make it fast enough...

http://www.allaboutprius.com/blog/1034110_2010-toyota-prius- solar-sunroof-smash-success-hard-to-get

But if it REALLY says "A/C" on the key... (does it really?) that may not stand for Air Conditioning. -Just like the "HD" in "HD-Radio" doesn't stand for "High Definition". -Good job too, since it's about 128kBps Mp3 quality.

None the less, the Prius is STILL a hot ticket item. I say smart move. -I notice that the Toyota witch-hunt seems to have died off... We never really got to hear all the information, but it's probably good that everyone has given up on it.

Notice that Honda and Nissan kept their heads VERY LOW...

GM have their new small car coming out soon after their DISASTROUS attempts at re-badging a Daewoo (the Aveo) and making their own small car (the Cobalt). -I heard recently that the GM team was INSTRUCTED not to aim for 'class-leader' with the Cobalt/Ion platform, but instead to try and make it 'class-competitive' or 'comparable'.

Way to go, GM... Aiming for mediocrity. -And then failing.

Meanwhile Toyota have aimed squarely at class-leader, and in the Prius have largely DEFINED the class, and the state of the art. -For as long as that's true, the Prius will be rock-solid in terms of residuals.

Keith

compasspnt

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »

ssltech wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 17:50

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 11:36:13 AM »

ssltech wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 22:50

Sales guys are famous for saying stuff which isn't true... -And if it nets them a sale... hey, everything's fair, apparently.

For the record, I've NEVER seen a solar powered A/C system capable of keeping a vehicle interior even moderately temperate which is ANYWHERE NEAR small enough to be vehicle-mounted. -Most would need about five parking spaces worth of Photo-Voltaic cell surface area... and even then would probably only do a poor job.

http://jalopnik.com/5232393/2010-toyota-prius-solar-powered- ventilation-system

-Apparently the reason your car doesn't have it is probably because they can't make it fast enough...

http://www.allaboutprius.com/blog/1034110_2010-toyota-prius- solar-sunroof-smash-success-hard-to-get

But if it REALLY says "A/C" on the key... (does it really?) that may not stand for Air Conditioning. -Just like the "HD" in "HD-Radio" doesn't stand for "High Definition". -Good job too, since it's about 128kBps Mp3 quality.

None the less, the Prius is STILL a hot ticket item. I say smart move. -I notice that the Toyota witch-hunt seems to have died off... We never really got to hear all the information, but it's probably good that everyone has given up on it.

Notice that Honda and Nissan kept their heads VERY LOW...

GM have their new small car coming out soon after their DISASTROUS attempts at re-badging a Daewoo (the Aveo) and making their own small car (the Cobalt). -I heard recently that the GM team was INSTRUCTED not to aim for 'class-leader' with the Cobalt/Ion platform, but instead to try and make it 'class-competitive' or 'comparable'.

Meanwhile Toyota have aimed squarely at class-leader, and in the Prius have largely DEFINED the class, and the state of the art. -For as long as that's true, the Prius will be rock-solid in terms of residuals.

Keith

Rather than guessing, I just took a quick look at the toyota website  Smile

It does say A/C on the keyfob, and it does mean Air Conditioning, However you're also partially right.

Apparently the solar powered ventilation kicks in automatically 10 minutes after you leave the car, and that runs purely off the panel. The button on the keyfob will activate the air-conditioning for up to three minutes before you get in, so I guess that's taking a chunk of its power from the battery.

RMoore

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »

DIY car gets 1 liter per 5000km

http://www.nubijlage.nl/energy-explorers/2280450/zelfgebouwd e-auto-rijdt-1-5000.html
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

ssltech

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »

Right, that makes sense then. -Certainly, there's no photo-voltaic device which can output enough juice to sustain A/C operation alone.

Neat tricks of course, and since 'ordinary' cars require the internal combustion motor to run in order to turn the mechanically-spun A/C compressor, not one which can be done by traditional-powertrain vehicles.

SO that aspect might be retro-fittable to your vehicle, since it's only a matter of 'command'. -The solar part is just running the ventilation, and -if not used for that purpose- presumably able to help 'top-off' the battery charge, while parked? -even if only slightly...

Keith

knox

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 11:34:29 AM »

yes but doesn't it cost thousands of dollars to replace the batteries?  

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Fri, 25 June 2010 18:26

I bought my first refill of gasoline today in the Prius. It's official. 46.7mpg. Drove 411 miles on 8.8 gallons of fuel. I'm so happy.

Arcadia Production and Recording Studio
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 17 queries.