R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MS processing in mastering?  (Read 1883 times)

genericperson

MS processing in mastering?
« on: August 10, 2004, 12:03:15 AM »

Hello everyone,

I see hints and pieces of people referring to MS processing during mastering.  Does this resemble mid/side micing in any way?

The way I understand mid/side micing is to take a figure-8 mono recording faced sideways to the source, duplicate the signal into the recorder, phase reverse one of the tracks, and then add a cardiod of the same music in the center and blend to taste.

Trying to apply this princple to mastering a stereo track: I could see collapsing the stereo track into a mono version and then blending it into the center, but i'm not sure how the figure-8 type of thing would work here, or if i'm totally missing the point.

Thanks in advance for any insights.  Smile

jfrigo

Re: MS processing in mastering?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 02:05:31 AM »

genericperson wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 21:03

Hello everyone,

I see hints and pieces of people referring to MS processing during mastering.  Does this resemble mid/side micing in any way?

The way I understand mid/side micing is to take a figure-8 mono recording faced sideways to the source, duplicate the signal into the recorder, phase reverse one of the tracks, and then add a cardiod of the same music in the center and blend to taste.

Trying to apply this princple to mastering a stereo track: I could see collapsing the stereo track into a mono version and then blending it into the center, but i'm not sure how the figure-8 type of thing would work here, or if i'm totally missing the point.

Thanks in advance for any insights.  Smile

MS processing allows you to EQ the middle differently from the side, as opposed to left vs. right. The option is built in to some digital processors where it will make MS from LR, apply processing, and go back to LR on the output. You can also use a DAW to make MS and use the processor of your choice. An analog matrix is possible to build with transformers as well. There was a thread about this some time ago. Perhaps Brad can post a link to the archives.

MS is a powerful tool, but can be a powerful way to screw things up. It's probably best used to fix specific problems rather than as a first choice for your daily processing. Few people prefer to use it as their primary tool, some use it frequenctly, but still in the minority, and most seem to consider it a special circumstances tool. When you need it, it's amazing, but I think its best to resist getting carried away. Standard Left and Right EQ/comp is not dead by a long shot. It's great for de-essing however, since the sss is usually on a vocal in the center.

Level

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 02:11:34 AM »

What Jay said!

Actually, the only way to tell if it of any use at all is to experiment. Like salt, a little bit goes a long way, like habenero, a taste can send you running. But like other things, their are times and places for its use. Listen with it...keep settings very very minimal. Render with very slight settings only...too much "wrong" can happen. Remember what it does to your mono signal within the mix!
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bobkatz

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 11:28:27 AM »

Go to this link and download the free booklet "Secret of the Mastering Engineer". I have a few pages on M/S and how it relates to Mastering.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/default.asp?id=1457

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

genericperson

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 03:52:30 PM »

Thanks, Mr Katz.

I printed it out and will read it tonight.  I'm also going to buy your book in a few days once I get some things crossed off my to-do list.

bblackwood

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 04:19:53 PM »

There's been at least one thread about M/S processing since REP opened in April. There were several in my old forum on the RecPit, try doing a search for 'M/S' there...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.