R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XLR or ELCO?  (Read 1703 times)

bigaudioblowhard

XLR or ELCO?
« on: June 11, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »

We're finally going to mod our custom vintage monitor selector switcher (balanced relays)

Originally it was installed in an Edit Room, and when given to me was cut out, so I got all the pairs of cable ins and outs, connected at one end to the switcher, and raw cut ends at the other, which I reterminated with a few cable mount XLR connectors to get the studio going about 3 years ago.

So all these xlr cables are hangin out the back of the monitor rack and we're gonna clean it up by installing Panels, to plug straight from/to the DAC's, Phono, Volume Control, Meters, A, B busses, Speakers etc. We'd like to use ELCO's but the few channels just go all over the place in the room and we'd need just about as many ELCO's to make the runs as with XLR Panels.

This is monitor path only, no mastering path anywhere near this stuff.

Do you guys with your rooms have ELCO's or XLR Panels for running the monitor cables?

Another Question. If we go XLR.

Bringing the pairs to the back of the XLR Panel, is it okay to just solder them to the backs of the XLR connectors or should the connectors/panel be mounted in some kind of enclosure to protect/avoid getting RF etc. onto the wires, all balanced, except the sends to the unbalanced Power Amp (Speakers)?

To clarify, the panels are open at the back, and the bare soldered connections will be there. This would not be the case with ELCO's (I think?)

thanks, bab

Gold

Re: XLR or ELCO?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »

I wouldn't hesitate to use either. They are both high quality connectors.  XLR's are easier to deal with and troubleshoot.

The connector case on a cable mount XLR doesn't act as a shield unless you tie pin 1 to the shell. This is not common.  So not having the back of a panel enclosed is the same thing. It couldn't hurt to have a grounded enclosure though. If everything is balanced I doubt it will make any difference. If there are unbalanced connections it might.

I wouldn't worry about It too much. You are choosing between good and good.

Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

bigaudioblowhard

Re: XLR or ELCO?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 04:34:24 PM »

thanks, we'll probably go with a combination of XLR for short runs and ELCO for the longer runs.

bab
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.