R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving a Baby Grand Piano  (Read 44196 times)

PP

Re: Moving a Baby Grand Piano
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 07:09:38 PM »

A note about Piano Lids.

The Padded Board that locates to the side of the Piano should never be a solid piece of board.

In fact, it is made of quite thick and strong wooden slats that run horizontally and vertically and has fairly wide and deep recesses deliberately built into the frame into  one of which the slightly protruding Lid Edge can 'hide'.

The reason a Piano Lid Hinge would be damaged is because the weight of the Piano has been allowed to be taken up on the side with no relief or recess provided for the Piano Lid to lie within on the Piano Board. This 'relief' is pure and simple fresh air, so there is nothing that can put pressure on the lid from laying the Piano on its side.

Provided a well designed and made padded frame that is actually larger than the size of the Piano itself, with a proper recess to allow the lid to 'hide' in is used, with padding to take and support the shape of the Instrument, and the Piano Lid is 'locked down into place' securely by fitting proper webbing ties that tighten up the Frame to the Piano side properly BEFORE the 1st leg is removed, and the Piano is lowered to the floor, let alone be moved anywhere, it is possible to safely move the Piano with the Lid attached.

Furthermore, as is the case with the Action, having the Piano Lid attached during moving provides a strong protective barrier to the many intrusive elements that could potentially invade the space that is inhabited by the Action, Hammers, the Strings, Bridges, Pin Boards, and everything else that goes inside the Piano. If one does not move the Piano with the Lid attached I would argue a substitute wooded barrier should be used to prevent damage to the Pianos innards.

Clearly the Lid is the ideal safety barrier for the Pianos insides, (including the Music Stand) providing one simply allows relief for it on the Piano Frame.

If anyone is still concerned that this might be in some way hazardous, their fears can be completely allayed by the process of removing the hinge pins from the Piano Lid, (this is easy to do for I have always performed on stage with 9 plus Concert Grand's that have their Lids removed entirely, it's a breeze as there is an L shaped part that enables you to simply slide them out), and relocating the Lid precisely in place but without the Lid actually being directly attached to the body. In other words as the hinge is not hinged to the body anymore, pressure cannot be put on the hinges as they are not joined. Again, the Lid must be tightened down and securely held in place using proper webbing ideally with metal fasteners.

I started in the Music Business working for a Company that outside of London and Birmingham, was the Largest supplier of Concert Grand Pianos, for Professional Concerts in the U.K. As it happens Oxford Town Hall was and remains today one of the two most difficult buildings in the entire U.K. into which to put Concert Equipment. 9'plus Concert Grand's are no exception and have to be taken up hugely long Marble Staircase's to get to the Main Hall before being manhandled onto the high stage.  

Between 4 and 6 people would be used to get a Piano into such a building. Such Pianos were typically tuned three times in a single day for such Concerts, as a normal practise, and I have never known one to be moved without a Lid, Action or Music Stand. Full sized Concerts Grand Steinway, Bechstein and Bosendorfers  were the normal  instruments, although Chappel and Bluthner Grand's were also available.

Amazingly I have even known and have experience of smaller Pianos going up the rear metal fire escapes on buildings.

A further note.

When I began in the Music Industry, a single workman was assigned a complete weeks work to putting the final French Polish Gloss to the Black on a Steinway Concert Grand. French Polish has the advantage that many types of finish damage can be repaired fairly easily and the look of the Instrument tidied up.

Today many Instruments including Satin finishes but in particular the Black High Gloss Steinway Concert Grand's are sprayed with a Polyester or Polyurethane finish. Although it is possible to repair such finishes, it is a usually rather more difficult matter altogether.

This type of finish although extremely hardwearing and strong, once subjected to a sudden hard impact, (like dropping down suddenly from a Lorry, etc.), can crack with huge great 'lighting strikes' that crack right across the lid, look terrible and are incredibly difficult and expensive or indeed impossible to repair.

The morale is, especially with a more Modern Piano, to have plenty of help at hand at all times, so that the Piano whilst being moved is never suddenly allowed to move fast, gaining momentum, particularly as it is being lowered and thereby receiving a potential undesirable impact.

Enjoy your Piano......

P

ryan streber

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 07:29:41 PM »

Not much to add to this except to chime in on the Dampp-Chaser question.  Our Steinway D is fitted with a two-tank dampp-chaser system, and this is actually a requirement of our rental contract for the instrument.  I can't really comment on how effective or ineffective it is, but I assume that since the people we rent it from consider it essential it must be somewhat worthwhile.  They installed it at no cost to us and only require that we keep the tanks filled and keep it plugged in. I just refilled it today, in fact.  

Also, we've had two different Hamburg D's (9' concert grand, about 1000 lbs) moved in and out of our place a few times now, and I've always been amazed at how easy the professional movers make this look.  FYI, they always bring it in with the action and lid installed. All they do is unwrap it, put the legs and lyre on, and it's ready to go (pending a good tuning and voicing, of course!) I'm sure if I tried to do it myself with some friends, it would be a complete fiasco, but I'm guessing a smaller instrument should be pretty manageable with good planning and care.

C.Cash

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 09:20:07 PM »

Thanks so much to all,
I cant wait to get it home.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

C.Cash

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »

The parts are being ordered today and will be shipped to Florida then on to me.

PaulyD

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 02:30:00 AM »

C.Cash wrote on Tue, 15 June 2010 13:30

The warehouse that its in is a pharmaceutical warehouse and the temperature and humidity is carefully monitored.

A warehouse full of drugs and a piano...There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'll behave.

Congratulations, Cliff. Smile

Paul

PP

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »

Quote: "There's a joke in there somewhere".

Thanks for the photo's, the Piano seems to be in excellent condition,

From what one can see, I gained the impression that the Piano has seen relatively little use, and having been stored in a controlled environment, I believe you will soon have a tremendous Musical boon at your fingertips, for little effort and very minimal cost indeed. It's quite a coup. I very much trust and hope so.

Very well done, good for you!

Looking at the pictures, I wondered whether the Piano had at one time belonged to Dudley Moore, I very much expect so, and perhaps later had been installed in a Club/Bar that catered for Live Music, which had subsequently passed into other use, with the Piano eventually passing into long term storage.

Without any beating about the bush, this brings me to the real point of this reply. You see there used to be an Antique Dealer in a nearby town. And Ronnie, the Proprietor of this establishment had a good pal, who curiously, shared the same forename. The first 'Ronnie' grew up as a boy very near to my present home, and went to school here, and so 'retired' here, eventually selling antiques.

These two, were a real couple of comedians whenever they got together, anyway, to cut a long story short Ronnie's pal (Ronnie) threw a big Party one time for a lot of 'beautiful people' and 'celebs', and between the two of them, they knew an awful lot of them indeed.

Entertainers, Producers, Writers, Golfers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz2-ukrd2VQ

Anyway, to cut right to the chase, the thing was, that in Ronnie's pal's (Ronnie) home, was a Baby Grand Piano lying extremely close to the Floor, at almost precisely the same height as the Piano appears to be in the pictures posted in this thread shown earlier.

Well, to be honest, Ronnie took quite a bit of ribbing about it, from his friends gathered there, mainly because like Dudley himself, he was somewhat challenged vertically as an individual. Personally this wasn't a problem, because he is pretty thick skinned and always enjoyed a tremendous laugh, even if the joke was at his own expense.

And boy, did his guests, make a joke about it.

They asked,' if he played the Piano very much?'

He replied that, 'although he did play, he wasn't any kind of virtuoso, so he didn't play much, at all.'

An entertainment lawyer who happened to be amongst them piped up 'why have a Grand Piano then, if you don't really play much?'

A reasonable question, if somewhat impolitely put. Ronnie answered enigmatically, 'well the Piano is mainly used by someone else altogether.'

'Anne?' They probed.  'Oh No', he said, 'my wife doesn't play'.

'Well who..' They asked.

'I can't tell you, and anyway even if I did you simply wouldn't believe me, so there's no point in answering' he replied.

Now, their curiosity was really aroused, a Grand Piano for a seemingly non-existent member of the household that had never been seen or heard of before by anyone?

They had had a few drinks by now and cajoled and harassed him, until finally Ronnie gave in and told them what they wanted to know. 'The truth is, that the Piano is so low to the ground, not because I play it, as you want to imply, but because we have a very intelligent pet, who can perform many remarkable feats, and one of these feats, (because the pet is extremely talented in very many ways, not least for instance his appreciation of the English language, but especially musically), is being able to play the Piano, so in fact the Piano is primarily used by our cat, Tiddles.'

There were roars of laughter from the entire crowd gathered there with raucous calls to' prove it',  and loud demands to 'hear a performance' by this remarkable cat. Ronnie simply dismissed these by stating that 'the cat had been let out for the night and probably wouldn't be back till quite late'.

Obviously, his claims were ridiculed, and his veracity repeatedly called into question not least by the increasingly dramatic demands of the Lawyer.

Eventually, he turned to his quietly smiling wife, and said, 'Darling, it's starting to darken over outside,  would you mind awfully, calling and seeing if we can get Tiddle's to come in'.

Off she went, out into the garden and we could hear her making 'kiss noise's' and calling out to 'Tiddles'.

After a time, when the cat didn't come, and everyone said, 'you haven't even got a cat have you'  Ronnie turned to Anne and asked her, 'could you please open a tin of cat food and put out a saucer of milk? I've never known him be long after some food was put out for him.'

And sure enough she did this and, after a while, I could see a pair of eyes traverse the garden in the dimming light, heading towards the kitchen.

Meanwhile Ronnie had been keeping his guests more than entertained, by telling them of other remarkable feats the cat could perform.

Apparently, the cat was able to comprehend stupendously good English although his own communication skills appeared to stop at nodding and shaking the head.  

Furthermore, the cat was not simply a Pianist, (that was something he had caught on to after hanging around a local jazz night club with other cool cats) but rather an accomplished Feline Composer in his own right.

By now, quite a few bottles had been drained entirely, and the friendly crowd were strongly baying for a Grand Performance.

Mary asked everyone to be extremely quiet, and to stay quiet, before she would bring Tiddle's (who I had seen pacing back and forth brushing his tail against her leg) into the room. When everyone quietened down, she brought him in and carefully placed him on Ronnie's lap.

Ronnie looked lovingly into the cats eyes and spoke with gentle whispers to Tiddles stroking him under his chin, and then took him purring over to the Piano keyboard, where the cat stood poised ready to play, but looked for his cue to begin, and listened intently as Ronnie spoke to the friends gathered before them.

'Tiddle's will now play a favourite of his, a piece he composed all by himself entitled 'A Cry In The Night' Thank You Tiddles'.

There was a brief round of polite applause, and then to everyone's utter amazement, Tiddle's began to touch the keys and play a hauntingly beautiful, very moving theme.  

Not to be unkind, rather to be quite truthful, Tiddles was not a truly great Pianist. He pawed the keys rather, there was questionable fingering to a trained ear, and certain parts of the Music seemed somewhat padded out.

However, it was a singularly awesome experience seeing and hearing him perform, and the quality and depth of the Composition, was strikingly obvious to the ears of absolutely everyone who was privileged to hear it.

As he roundly completed the Finale to deafeningly rapturous applause, and great cheers of acclamation, a couple of Americans who had appeared at the front of the crowd, and had been whispering back and forth during the performance, (Film Producers as I recall)  suddenly declaimed to Ronnie in a very loud voice..

'We need to take this cat to Hollywood' ,

'He will be a Hit',

'His Music will be a Hit',

'This is truly Momentous',

'There are no limits to how far you can go with this Act'.

I could see that Tiddle's was looking quite intently at them as they spoke, his head was tilted as if he was wondering, questioning all they were saying and what it all would mean.

Then, perspiring heavily, and talking really loudly by now, through the stupor of drink, one of the Producers said. 'what you need to do next...

Is to take this cats piece, have a proper job done on it, professionally...  

Completely Orcastrated'.

There was an equally loud 'Meow',  in retort.

From my vantage point I could see, all the hair on Tiddle's body stood on end, his ears pointed upward like dreaming spires, his tail stiff as a flag pole.

In a flash, he jumped from the keyboard, onto the Piano Lid. Without extending his claws on the pads of his paws, the momentum carried him skidding all the way across the highly polished Piano Lid, right to the closest open window.

With one great leap, he was through it, and vanished into the depths of the night.

Never to be seen again.

P

compasspnt

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2010, 05:47:58 PM »

Awesome P!

That reminds me that I have a cat story.

C.Cash

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »

All the parts have arrived.

Now I have to get them properly finished, the person who is doing this will pick them up in the morning and have a look at the piano  (I guess to try and match the colour?).

C.Cash

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »

Change of plans.

I am getting the whole piano refinished.
There are some marks on the lid top and on one side that looks like the packing blankets that it was wrapped in have stained the finish and texture of the wood.

So the same guy that is doing the legs is going to pick up the whole piano  and carry it, redo it and deliver it.

This way I also get a pro to do the transporting.

C.Cash

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »

Horror!

So, the guy calls and says the piano is ready for delivery and I meet them at my house mid morning yesterday.
He pulls up with the piano in the back of his truck and it looks awesome.
They off load with no issues and get it into my front room with no problems.
They then install one leg and lay it down and install the other 2 and we put it in position and they leave.
Really nice job, piano looks great and it looks great where it is.
I go back to work.
That evening when I get home I start setting the room back up, dining room table and chairs and whatever else.
I decide that I want the piano 2" closer to the wall, my floor is smooth tile. I put my hand on the front and give a push, the front leg collapses and the weight of the piano destroyed the other 2 legs and the pedals,they split like match sticks AND it just missed my toes!

The piano installer did not tighten up the other 2 legs!

Not only did the legs get destroyed but the piano also went against the wall on its way down and ruined the paint on one side.

I will post pictures later.

Barkley McKay

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »

That's horrific!

I'm glad you where not hurt though.
Also I hope there is no permanent damage to the piano itself. It seems a shocking oversight on the part of the piano mover though...hope they Have insurance.

barks

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 10:58:56 AM »

Yikes!

Glad your not hurt.

Right at the finish line too...

Leonardo Valvassori

Kris

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 12:05:01 PM »

I'm experiencing major heartburn and stomach pain due to your unfortunate predicament (combined with a rather spicy lunch)!!!  Let us know how it turns out.

ssltech

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »

Damn... I had that happen with a 9' Steinway one time, when an engineer was trying to push the piano into a corner... but only one leg gave way.

It was while pushing the piano over the transition from carpet to tile.

-The piano ended up looking like a beached whale!

With that in mind, I was VERY specific in insisting that the Yamaha which we just bought for the new room had the bracing fitted down at the bottom of the legs. -Sure, it's a little ugly, but it was the ONLY way to make absolutely sure that I never experienced the horror and shock...

I'm gutted.

Hopefully this can all be fixed. -Hopefully Termite wasn't anywhere nearby! (it could have been unthinkably catastrophic... 'count your blessings' time, I suppose!)

Keep well, and be thankful!

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

C.Cash

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 12:24:59 PM »

ssltech wrote on Thu, 29 July 2010 11:13

Damn... I had that happen with a 9' Steinway one time, when an engineer was trying to push the piano into a corner... but only one leg gave way.

It was while pushing the piano over the transition from carpet to tile.

-The piano ended up looking like a beached whale!

With that in mind, I was VERY specific in insisting that the Yamaha which we just bought for the new room had the bracing fitted down at the bottom of the legs. -Sure, it's a little ugly, but it was the ONLY way to make absolutely sure that I never experienced the horror and shock...

I'm gutted.

Hopefully this can all be fixed. -Hopefully Termite wasn't anywhere nearby! (it could have been unthinkably catastrophic... 'count your blessings' time, I suppose!)

Keep well, and be thankful!

Keith

Ha!, Termite was so scared he ran outside and wouldn't come back in till almost dark.

I am thinking maybe I will let a carpenter just build me some nice strong legs out of 4x4. I am not too concerned how it looks as long as it sounds great. The legs that I got from NJ were really not that impressive strength wise.

Thanks.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.