R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for the vinyl people....  (Read 1277 times)

cass anawaty

Question for the vinyl people....
« on: June 07, 2010, 02:06:07 PM »

So I've got a project that's being released on CD--that part I'm good with.  But it's also being released on vinyl, so I'd like to have an idea of what they'll want to receive.  Obviously, I'll do any tonal balancing, gluing, and/or sweetening that's appropriate, but will I be delivering 24 bit unlimited mixes?  It's a 24/96 project, so will they be delivered in the highest res?

Thanks to everyone--not sure where it's going yet--maybe to one of you.   Smile
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Gold

Re: Question for the vinyl people....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »

The safest way that no one would reject is an audio CD for the A side and another for the B side. Another popular method is putting a long gap between sides on the same CD.

If you want to provide hi rez files you should check with the cutting engineer to find out if it's okay and how the file(s) should be organized.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

cass anawaty

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:51:26 PM »

Thanks, Paul.  Was hoping you'd chime in.
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

dietrich

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:51:06 PM »

Cass Anawaty wrote on Mon, 07 June 2010 14:06

will I be delivering 24 bit unlimited mixes?)

yes unlimited please!

TotalSonic

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »

At this point the majority of vinyl mastering facilities my clients deal with can accept and cut directly from 24bit / 88.2kHz or 96kHz files without a problem.  As Paul mentioned you do need to find what each cutting room's accepted formats are first though as this can indeed vary and there are still a few "old school" places that want things like 16bit CD (or even DAT).  But at this point the places that can accept is definitely finally outnumbering those that don't.  

Generally I send a single wav file for each side with a cue sheet indicating the start times for where any spirals are to be placed.  

As far as limiting go - if the client has approved limited files for their digital release ref I'd say very often the complete removal of the limiting will also re-balance the resulting master - so you need to be cautious when adjusting this.  If things are crushed to the point of transient loss or distortion to deal with client requests for very high average levels I'll back this off to a place where the general balance is still similar but without the detrimental artifacts occuring, maybe make a couple small minor eq tweaks to maintain the feel and to make sure the ultra-high end isn't too prominent, make sure any sibilance is dealt with properly - and then forward this to the client for their approval with the instruction just to turn it up a little more when evaluating it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 19 queries.