R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre fab sheds into studio in the backyard?  (Read 4527 times)

rphilbeck

Pre fab sheds into studio in the backyard?
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »

I few years ago SSL positioned the "Shed of your Dreams".  Don't know how that went over, but here is the manufacturer of the shed.  Curious if anyone has converted one of these pre fab units, or ones from other manufacturers, into a workable studio?  If you put it on a slab, HVAC'd and sound isolated it, seems like you'd have a great backyard studio.  Or, are there any companies that specialize in something similar geared towards music?

Of course, with these prices, you might be able to hire a general contractor and George Augpurger to design it for you, but a prefab recording studio is an interesting thought.Smile

http://www.summerwood.com/

http://www.cabinfever.us.com/Maxwell.htm

Garrett H

Re: Pre fab sheds into studio in the backyard?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »

The Cabin Fever ones start at about $100 / square foot.  Isn't that the low area for brand-new construction?  It doesn't include the slab, which added to both might make a new build the same price.

But it would be cool to buy several and keep them apart.  Talk about isolation.

Best,
GH
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

jimmyjazz

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:46:17 PM »

New residential construction can easily be had for $100/square foot, including finish-out and contractor's fee.  It wouldn't be what you'd want for a studio in terms of isolation, but at the same time, you probably wouldn't be putting in a full-size kitchen (if any) and multiple bathrooms, so you could afford to beef up the wall construction, electrical service, etc.  I don't see the cost savings.

Brent Handy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »

Here in tornado alley, I can't see putting my gear in one of those little tornado magnets only to see it relocated down the street.

Pass.  I like bing under ground.

rphilbeck

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:26:43 AM »

Brent Handy wrote on Thu, 03 June 2010 23:01

Here in tornado alley, I can't see putting my gear in one of those little tornado magnets only to see it relocated down the street.

Pass.  I like bing under ground.

Well, you wouldn't want to set it up like a shed you put your mower in.  You'd want to slab it and finish it and it should be as sturdy as any structure.  The expense makes it more sensible to hire a contractor and build something from the ground up.  Guess that's why the topic never comes up.  Good point though about being underground.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 04:33:29 PM »

You can buy a used high-cube ISO container (40' x 8' x 9.5' LWH) for $2,450 any day of the week.  That's $7.65/sf (plus delivery).  Pour a half dozen footings, scrape it, paint it, install electrical service, HVAC, insulation and interior walls, and I bet you'd still come in well below $100/sf.

rphilbeck

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:45:34 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 16:33

You can buy a used high-cube ISO container (40' x 8' x 9.5' LWH) for $2,450 any day of the week.  That's $7.65/sf (plus delivery).  Pour a half dozen footings, scrape it, paint it, install electrical service, HVAC, insulation and interior walls, and I bet you'd still come in well below $100/sf.

Even if I could get that past the H.O.A, I'd never get it past the W.I.F.E.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.