R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: This "teabag" thing...  (Read 11903 times)

Bill_Urick

This "teabag" thing...
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:42:32 PM »

I would like to address something that's been bothering me for a while now.

Ever since the Tea Party movement started it has been fashionable among liberals to refer disparagingly to Tea Party movement members as "Tea Baggers".

I really don't understand this.

First of all, I really think that liberals are more prone to drink tea than conservatives, unless you count that sissy latte macchiato stuff as coffee.

And even if conservatives do drink tea, how many people really brew loose tea instead of using tea bags anyway.

According to this article,

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/teabrewing/a/looseorbag.htm

loose tea is superior to bagged tea but I think that any connection between political affiliation and tea brewing preferences is tenuous at best and that continual bashing of Tea Party members in this way just makes liberals look silly and uninformed.

Thank you.

Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

grantis

Re: This "teabag" thing...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:53:17 PM »

i'm led to believe the "teabagger" nickname is meant to be slightly (or not so slightly) more derogatory.  

perhaps in the sexual connotation.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:59:35 PM »

ummm... hate to break this to you but tea bagging has referred to the act of putting testicles into someones mouth for decades now.  This relatively obscure piece of slang was made somewhat main stream in a fairly funny scene in John Waters' movie "Pecker."  Which is why it's fairly hilarious that a group of people would proudly call themselves "Tea Baggers" totally oblivious to this fact.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

Berolzheimer

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 01:45:47 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 31 May 2010 20:59

ummm... hate to break this to you but tea bagging has referred to the act of putting testicles into someones mouth for decades now.  This relatively obscure piece of slang was made somewhat main stream in a fairly funny scene in John Waters' movie "Pecker."  Which is why it's fairly hilarious that a group of people would proudly call themselves "Tea Baggers" totally oblivious to this fact.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

Right, and as Steve points out here, the, um, baggers in question originally used that term themselves to describe themselves.

FWIW, and probably totally irrelevant, "bagger" is the German word for "excavator".  I know this because my son who speaks German & English has been obsessed with construction equipment, and excavators & cranes in particular, since age 3.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

maxim

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:54:25 AM »

Barry Hufker

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:53:17 AM »

Absolutely correct.  Tea Baggers named themselves this and used the name proudly until finally deciding the name is derogatory.  I believe the name is apt but would happily call them "Ass Baggers" as an alternative.

Barry

Daniel Farris

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »

As others have said, teabagger was originally a self-applied term.

That said, I'll stop calling them teabaggers as soon as I stop hearing the phrase "democrat party."

Payback is a bitch.

DF

Edvaard

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »

Always been a loose leaf sort myself, the myriad and sometimes extemporaneous blends I concoct not being available in bag form. Chai-chamomile-peppermint-marshmallow root, yerba mate with licorice  and whatever, hibiscus-cinnamon-burdockroot-grated~ginger-peppermint, etc. That last one is good hot or cold.

Sometimes I might dress up as cowboy for the yerba mate, Injun' for anything with roots like burdock or dandelion in it. Sometimes I'll have a plain ole' bohea tea like what got tossed into the water in Boston and wear a t-shirt that says "Stuart!" so as to say to the original vandals; "that's what you shoulda wore on those boats if you wanted to ~really~ scare the British, not those silly Injun' outfits."

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 01:57:04 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Tue, 01 June 2010 15:53

Absolutely correct.  Tea Baggers named themselves this and used the name proudly until finally deciding the name is derogatory.  I believe the name is apt but would happily call them "Ass Baggers" as an alternative.

Barry

Absolutely wrong. They always called themselves "tea partiers." There was a particular protest called "Tea Bag the Fools in D.C.," but the term "teabaggers" was coined by their enemies and has NEVER been used by the tea partiers.

The term is juvenile and completely nonsensical. It SOUNDS vaguely insulting, but what does it mean? Does it mean that Tea Partiers run around placing their balls on the faces of sleeping victims? Or does it mean that liberals enjoy being the recipient of a teabagging? Or does it mean "teabag unto others before they teabag unto you"?

And "Ass Bagger"? Considering that many tea partiers are parents and have presumably changed a lot of diapers, I suppose the term is accurate. But why turn it into an insult? Do enlightened people eschew diapers as harmful to the environment, and make their kids use a litter box?

I've noticed that liberals have a knack for assembling a string of words that SOUNDS like an argument, but when you analyze it, they didn't actually say anything. They use words in the same manner that monkeys use poo, as a projectile. Perhaps this explains their fixation with bodily functions.
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A

Barry Hufker

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »

"I've noticed that liberals have a knack for assembling a string of words that SOUNDS like an argument, but when you analyze it, they didn't actually say anything."

And I've noticed conservatives have a knack for being bullies and racists with a penchant for self-aggrandizement.  They make up "facts", twist actual facts and are the reason this country is in the sad shape it finds itself.  I of course dispute that liberals don't "say anything".  I believe we try to offer the country a "reality check".  And I offer as a counter position that conservatives *do* say something -- they spew bile and hate.

If you are glad about adequate health care, social security, medicare, a 40-hour work week, a decent minimum wage, the Civil Rights Act, rural electrification, school lunch programs, child labor laws, air and water standards, birth control, overtime pay and desegregation, to name a few, then thank a liberal.

Barry

index.php/fa/14883/0/

Bill_Urick

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »

Guys, the OP was a joke.
Thanks to Edvaard for seeming to get it.

Barry, good to have you back.
It seemed that you were absent for a bit.

Can you verify the source and background for the picture you posted?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Daniel Farris

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Wed, 02 June 2010 10:58

That's not a tea party photo. That's one of those Westboro Baptist Church folks that demonstrates at the funerals of dead soldiers... the Fred Phelps crowd.

DF

bblackwood

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »

Daniel Farris wrote on Wed, 02 June 2010 13:27

That's not a tea party photo. That's one of those Westboro Baptist Church folks that demonstrates at the funerals of dead soldiers... the Fred Phelps crowd.

Wow, that's quite a misrepresentation.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Daniel Farris

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 02:42:40 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 02 June 2010 11:40

Daniel Farris wrote on Wed, 02 June 2010 13:27

Wow, that's quite a misrepresentation.

Yeah, I agree. I'm a connoisseur of tea party pictures, and they're rarely that offensive. Mostly they're just dumber than a bag of hammers.

DF

DarinK

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 02:45:58 PM »

The tea party folks started it, with "tea bag the democrats," etc.  They knew what it meant and had no problem using the offensive phrase against others.  But when it's used against them, the whining starts.
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/enough-whining-teaba ggers-actually-i
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 19 queries.