R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors-vertical vs horizontal/1 for mono?  (Read 6414 times)

Bill_Urick

Monitors-vertical vs horizontal/1 for mono?
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »

Looking at rearranging the monitor situation.

As long as the tweets are directional to the listening position and everything's symmetrical does horizontal vs vertical mounting really matter? (NS-10's/HS-80M's/4312's)

I'm assuming for a co-ax it really doesn't matter.

Also, any benefit to using a single centered speaker for mono monitoring rather than summing to the stereo pairs?

Thanks!
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

martindale

Re: Monitors-vertical vs horizontal/1 for mono?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:52:26 AM »

Listen and measure!  Likely the orientation will make at least a small difference...console reflection paths will change, as well as paths to your ears.
If you monitor Mono with one center speak, you won't hear how your L and R "add". If your L-R setup are in good shape, your "add" should also be good...it's always interesting to see how a stereo pair add, you will see a different frequency response than each individual speaker.
There's no absolute here--listen/ measure decide what's best.

jetbase

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:27:30 PM »

Bill, I always preferred NS10's vertical as they seem to me to represent the stereo balance in a more 'natural' sounding way (if natural is a term that can be used regarding NS10's) than horizontal. Can't speak for the others though. Do the manufacturer's recommend any particular orientation?

Personally, I check mixes in mono both on a summed stereo pair & on a single monitor. I guess I'd just like to hear what it would sound like in both circumstances. I don't think I'd suffer greatly by not having the single monitor to check on, but I do think it sounds different coming out of a centre mono speaker than 'phantom' centre from two speakers.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

Bill_Urick

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 09:56:33 PM »

Thanks, guys.

One thing about vertical, you can get more monitors on the same shelf without stacking them.

I think I prefer the NS-10's standing up as well.

After posting this I looked through all the pics in both editions of Behind the Glass.

After almost giving up on finding anyone using vertical speakers (and more than 2-3 pair including large mains) I found a picture of Hugh Padgham using a pair of Awful-Tones, a couple of small Apple-esque computer monitors, a pair of NS-10's VERTICAL, and one or two other monitors all on the console.

Nowhere did I find a pic of a single centered speaker.

index.php/fa/14882/0/
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

AndreasN

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:43:33 AM »

The dispersion pattern is usually significantly different for horisontal and vertical mounting. With two drivers in a horisontal plane, spatial lobing occurs in the horisontal plane making the sweetspot very small. Vertical stacking gives a broad plane of emission.

NS10's vertically mounted here(although I hardly use them) and a single fostex 6301D for true mono reference in the middle.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/mastering-forum/129780d1248638920-how-your-monitors-interact-driver-interference.png

franman

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 09:35:26 AM »

The horizontal lobing that Andreas illustrates so nicely, is really a cluster F___k... I don't know why it doesn't bother more people, but I come in to studio after studio and see two way book shelf monitors stationed horizontally... I always try to "correct" this or at least get the folks to listen to then vertically... A 'never ending battle for truth....'

FM
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »

NS-10s should stand up tall.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 05 July 2010 13:27

NS-10s should stand up tall.

and proud!

DarinK

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »

I like to have a single center mono speaker, if for no other reason than that it prevents me from placing a computer monitor there.  

franman

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 09:32:37 PM »

Where do you keep your computer monitor(s)?
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

DarinK

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »

off to the side and down a bit.  it's easy enough to glance over & down, but it's mostly out of my direct line of sight when facing the sweet spot.  I'm easily distracted by stuff on the computer monitor, so it helps me to not have that right in my face.  I mostly mix on a console, but do tweak things in the computer, too.

tom eaton

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 07:50:06 PM »

Here's the way I've always thought about it: if you are sitting in a chair at the console, you are much more likely to move left and right than up and down... which keeps your ears equidistant from BOTH drivers of each vertical speaker.  If you position a two way on its side, and move left or right, you are changing the distance from each driver to your ears every time you move.  Comb filtering, anyone?

tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.