R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fine Single-Malt Scotch?  (Read 16725 times)

ted nightshade

Re: Fine Single-Malt Scotch?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2004, 05:11:23 PM »

Barish, that's completely outrageous! I'm quite jealous. I wonder if you can still get a deal like that...

I am enjoying the Ardbeg, fine sippin' stuff,  but it doesn't make me as nostalgic for the good old days of the British dismantling people's stone huts and that, and long cold nights out in the mist. Great stuff, nonetheless, but so far I think the Laphroig is about my fave, and I have to say I am very much looking forward to getting some cask-strength Laphroig! On order right now...
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

Barish

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2004, 05:29:01 PM »

I'll see what I can do Ted. He mostly gives them away as executive gifts so I hope he has a few bottles left that I can snatch one from. How I can send it to US is another issue, US states can be very stubborn when it comes to spirit imports and that. Some of them even ban the gift imports from a fellow American state never mind from Scotland. For instance, Tennessee sells whiskey to the rest of the world but you can't send a bottle of whisky back in there as a gift (I tried). You guys gotta find a federal solution to this Smile

Cheers.
M Ozturk

ted nightshade

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2004, 10:31:22 PM »

That's outrageous, Barish! You are too kind!

I'm in Oregon so it's the OLCC- I'll see what the line is... and how to beat it.

There's always crime!
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

lucey

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2004, 03:40:45 AM »

18 Year old Macallan Ted. Single malt heaven.

It's hard to get and about $120, but amazing ...

(the 25 year old is impossible to get right now.)
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

James Slanger

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2004, 01:41:58 AM »

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread yet. 5 minutes after turning 21 I went out and bought a bottle of Glenlivet 12. My personal standby has been Talisker for a year or so now - which I think has more going for it than Laphroig personally.
Luckily I'm in Chicago and only a few miles from Sam's Wine and Spirits: http://www.samswine.com  One of the better sources in the States.  Ardbeg 10 for 40$ a bottle.  (or 230 for a case Twisted Evil )  They're in the middle of their warehouse sale right now too...

/jim
Stop. Think. Listen.

James Slanger

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2004, 01:50:00 AM »

lucey wrote on Mon, 11 October 2004 02:40

18 Year old Macallan Ted. Single malt heaven.

(the 25 year old is impossible to get right now.)

www.Samswine.com says they have it for 383.99$ a bottle. But the site may not have current inventory.  I'll ask when I stop by this weekend.   I had two glasses once at 25$ each . . . . very much worth it.

/jim  
Stop. Think. Listen.

PRobb

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2004, 10:32:42 PM »

James Slanger wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 01:41

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread yet. 5 minutes after turning 21 I went out and bought a bottle of Glenlivet 12. My personal standby has been Talisker for a year or so now - which I think has more going for it than Laphroig personally.
Luckily I'm in Chicago and only a few miles from Sam's Wine and Spirits: http://www.samswine.com  One of the better sources in the States.  Ardbeg 10 for 40$ a bottle.  (or 230 for a case Twisted Evil )  They're in the middle of their warehouse sale right now too...

/jim

Talisker and Ardbeg-my kind of guy! I have the Ardbeg 17 right now and it is amazing.
Ted- what ever happened with the "organic" whisky?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

ted nightshade

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2004, 12:45:42 PM »

PRobb wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 19:32

James Slanger wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 01:41

/jim

Talisker and Ardbeg-my kind of guy! I have the Ardbeg 17 right now and it is amazing.
Ted- what ever happened with the "organic" whisky?

I got to track down "Evil Eva"- been so hectic this year I haven't gotten around to it. Her wine is pretty fabulous, filtered through the clay, real old school, should be interesting to try the whiskey...

Now here's what I've found- the Laphroig, especially with a piece of habanero soakin' in it, is exactly what I need to be nipping to open up my voice and transcend. Exactly! It's the ticket there, all right. Talisker, now that was real nice banging right off the bottle while stacking heaps of firewood- just the ticket there, you could take great big slugs and you could live on that stuff. Great workin' man's whiskey, even if it costs a day's wages for a bottle! Ardbeg 17, is very nice and like a sublimely subtle bourbon,  and great for that little sip in the study, with the fine liqueurs, but it doesn't do a thing for my singing. It's a nice little eye opener in the morning though! Start the day off right.

I wonder what that Ardbeg 10 is like, and what the Laphroig 15 is like... could it be the 10 year stuff is just better for gettin' physical?
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

Former Oceanway drone

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2004, 11:25:26 PM »

I suppose it would be rude to mention the 30 year old Macallan that I bought two years ago for my best friend. Mentioning it's smoothness and the multiplicity of subtle flavors that emerged from it would be nearly inhuman of me and it would be absolutely unconscionable for me to mention that it rarely is even shipped to the United States of America. That would be wrong of me.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

James Slanger

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2004, 09:46:13 PM »

Yes, yes it would. Sad

/jim
Stop. Think. Listen.

Gideon

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2004, 01:37:53 PM »

ted nightshade wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 12:45

I wonder what that Ardbeg 10 is like, and what the Laphroig 15 is like... could it be the 10 year stuff is just better for gettin' physical?

The 10 year old Ardbeg is peatier and more intense. In fact, the Ardbeg 10 has the highest peat ppm of any Islay malt (and hence any SMS). Personally I prefer it to the 17 which is much more mellow and, in my opinion, a bit watery.

The difference between the 10 and 15 year old Laphroaigs I find to be less dramatic, but again, as a fan of vigorous peatieness, I prefer the younger malt. Somewhat paradoxically, however, something really magical happens to the Laphroaig 30; but these days the price is prohibitive so now I drink beer.

Also, if you like Islay malts, don't forget Lagavulin,  it's a bit less intense but has, I believe, the best aftertaste.

Other personal favorites:

Springbank 12
Macallan 18
Highland Park 18

YMMV
Gideon Egger
May Ying Music, Inc.
Hell's Kitchen NYC

I put 4 compressors in series and i got more Milk and Cream and Thick sound out of the audio but why?

-Walters

Gideon

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2004, 03:01:14 PM »

Did anyone else go to the Whisky Fest in NYC last night? There is a new Ardbeg, a blend of ten, seventeen and thirty year old barrels--very nice.
Gideon Egger
May Ying Music, Inc.
Hell's Kitchen NYC

I put 4 compressors in series and i got more Milk and Cream and Thick sound out of the audio but why?

-Walters

PRobb

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2004, 08:27:02 PM »

Damn! I got the invite, but I had to work. Damn! So was it kinda like AES for kilted alkies? What were your faves?
-Edmund Burke

Gideon

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2004, 09:16:20 PM »

PRobb wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 20:27

So was it kinda like AES for kilted alkies?

Exactly!

Other than the Ardbeg, my favorite was the Japanese single malt, Suntory Yamazaki (I also liked the girl behind the Balvenie counter).
Gideon Egger
May Ying Music, Inc.
Hell's Kitchen NYC

-Walters

PRobb

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2004, 10:10:55 PM »

Has ayone tried the new Johnnie Walker green label? As i understand it, its a blend of single malts with no grain whiskey.
-Edmund Burke
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.