R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fine Single-Malt Scotch?  (Read 16730 times)

ted nightshade

Re: Fine Single-Malt Scotch?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 05:37:51 PM »

Well, I managed to order a bottle of Talisker through my local liquor store... They can get Abelour too, I'd like to try that at some point.

Today I came back with a bottle of the Booker's unfiltered, undiluted 126 proof cask-strength bourbon. Tasty stuff, and smooth! Not what I expected... adding a couple drops of good water helps, after that it's downhill. I think I will stick with this as far as the Amurikan stuff. I would like to try some of those cask-strength single malt scotches...

I don't know if I can drink any kind of Tequila- just the smell takes me right back to that one time I got puking sick in high school...
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

ted nightshade

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2004, 04:09:52 PM »

Well my all-but-wife and musical partner in crime these 13 years reminds me that many of the bellydancers we know seem to have a thing for tequila and loosen up quite a  bit under it's influence- she likes a good margarita herself, and suggests that there may be advantages to plying these lovelies with some. Actually I think what she desires is for the dancers to overcome their fear of throwing themselves into dancing to live music and lose the need for the crutch of their favorite recorded tracks...

So is some of this tequila psychedelic in some way? Mescal, or something? That could be a big bonus, and we will be going to SF, so what brand to look for or should I just ask there?

BTW, changed the Talisker order to one for a 17 year Ardberg... can't wait!
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

PRobb

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 12:02:07 AM »

One Tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor. No, thats not what I mean. These are 100% agave cactus and "reposado"-reposed or rested- and "anejo"-old- are degrees af aging.
 Talisker is unique. A very peppery bite. One of my faves. Can't wait to hear what you think of the Ardberg. One of the longest finishes ever. Take a sniff, let a sip sit in your mouth for a second, swallow and just wait for it to develop. It keeps going and going and.......
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

ted nightshade

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 12:28:57 AM »

Well they couldn't get the Ardberg so it was Talisker. Guess I'll have to go to California to get some of this stuff...

Talisker is really, really nice. Much less smoky, very complex with a KICK. HOOO!
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

ted nightshade

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 12:30:27 AM »

BTW since the I got the Laphroig, the level in that Glenlivet bottle hasn't changed...
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

PRobb

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2004, 01:20:52 AM »

Yeah, love the Talisker. If your guy can get that , I bet he can also get Lagavulin, a huge tasting Islay that is distributed , like the Talisker, by Johnnie Walker. This thread sent me to the liquor store  for a bottle. 16 years old and, hang on....... DAMN thats good.
-Edmund Burke

ted nightshade

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2004, 11:19:13 AM »

You haven't steered me wrong yet!
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

overeasy

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2004, 10:38:55 AM »

Oban. Mmm...

adulterate it with a little ice and (fresh) lime juice- ahh.....

overeasy
amateur recordist
professional boozehound
Leo McClusky
NJ

Dave Mallon

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2004, 12:30:55 PM »

You guys have better off topic discussions than the LAB, anyhow.

I love Glenlivet - A bottle lives in my house at pretty much all times.

I quite Like Tamnavulin, although this is quite hard to come by and I have only found it in Scotland

Another I discovered last time I was in Scotland was Tobermory, which was really nice.

Another vote for Islay, too.

So many Whiskies, so little time...

Dave M (UK)
Formally Scouse Dave.

ted nightshade

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2004, 09:21:59 PM »

Thanks folks!
This looks to be a life-long investigation... so little time indeed. Just makes life the more precious.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

drumtracks

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2004, 01:14:11 PM »

I know this is a Canadian Whiskey but I find 12 year old Canadian Club to be really smooth and reasonably priced.

PP

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2004, 06:45:38 PM »

ted nightshade

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2004, 08:12:04 PM »

Peter  Oxford wrote on Mon, 13 September 2004 15:45

Quote Ted : "bellydancers we know seem to have a thing for tequila and loosen up quite a bit under it's influence".

Ted, I keep having mental images running through my mind of you playing with your organ, surrounded by a bevy of beauties, rhythmically wobbling their hips, suggestively all about you, as your Leslie whirls about.

Actually my all-but-wife plays the organ, I just lug the Leslie! And do the geeky engineering stuff. And play various acoustic instruments.

The visuals really ain't nothing to complain about!

Quote:

What a great way to make a living. I knew the music business was the one for me!

Well, I ain't exactly making a living, but I'm living, sure enough! And hopefully will be able to parlay it all into continuing to do so.

Quote:

What I'm concerned about, is that he's buying this stuff, especially to put out for me (who's drinking it purely to help him), and thereby conserving his precious stocks of the really expensive, good stuff he enjoys, which has entirely disappeared all of a sudden up to his room.

It's very worrying, as it undermines all my good work on his behalf.

I suggest you gently imply that you can't stand that kind of swill and think it would show more filial respect to ply you with the good stuff. Gently, of course, in a fatherly way. That might solve the problem and relieve some of the stress on your taste buds.

You know folks, all these wine and whiskey reviews, they go on about the taste but never talk about the high or the hangover? I wanna know, can you live on the stuff? Will it inspire you to write new symphonies, or down and dirty blues? Will your thoughts about the bellydancers be austere and platonic or maybe somewhat different? And how will your head be in the morning?
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

Barish

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2004, 11:22:10 AM »

I have a friend here who is a whisky connoisseur and he introduced me to the world of "visge beatha". He has a number of casks that he had bought some 15-20 years ago so the disdilleries are distilling those casks for him for all those years. Once they mature they notify him so he pays the tax and receives his casks bottled for him. No mix, no blend, malt out of just one single cask. He gets a cask every one or two years and gives me a big bottle from each, which is totally different from what I get from the shelves. In fact one of the last bottles I've been given was distilled at Arran Distillery and it was the smoothest malt that I'd ever had to date. I still have half of it left and only take it out in special occasions.

Glenfiddich is good but Glenmorangie's 18 tastes better to me. You can't beat their Madeira Mature but is quite expensive.
M Ozturk

PRobb

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2004, 01:20:33 AM »

The one time I got to try a single cask, it was a 20 year old Glen Ellen. As close to whisky heaven as I have ever been.
-Edmund Burke
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.