R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fine Single-Malt Scotch?  (Read 16729 times)

ted nightshade

Fine Single-Malt Scotch?
« on: August 06, 2004, 02:28:12 PM »

Well I'm from mostly Scotch stock and belt the blues, so I'm gettin' into whiskey here, and my fave so far is a Glenlivet 12 year- like it more than the Tullamore Dew, which I know is Irish and a blend besides. Not a big drinker, prefer somethin' fine to sip and savor- heard the Tullamore blend was "smoother" and easier to drink than a single-malt, but my experience was different- Tullamore kind of turned my stomach, gave me flashbacks to drinking way too much JD in high school... Glenlivet 12 year suits me just fine. Just got a pint- Next I'll try their French Limousin Oak style...

But as this stuff gets good it gets steep and since I don't drink a lot I'll be living with it for a while, so I'm really curious to hear what all you audio snobs like in the way of a fine single-malt Scotch.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

Loco

Re: Fine Single-Malt Scotch?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 01:20:05 PM »

Glenfiddich or however it's name is spelled. By the time I'm done with it I can't even spell mine.

As for blends, nothing beats Old Parr on the beach...
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com

PP

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 10:33:02 AM »

PRobb

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 11:58:34 PM »

Welcome to the wonderfully world of malts!  First, Scotch is regional, like French wine, and each region has it's own characteristics. For people just discovering malts, I usually recommend a good Lowland whiskey like Glenkinchie (not sure of the spelling)  The Lowlands are very smooth and don't have  the strong peaty bite of some of the other regions. Personally, I like the ones from the isle of Islay, on the other end end of the spectrum. Lagavullin, Talisker actually from the isle of Skye- or Ardberg are great examples. They are huge tasting whiskeys and each sip takes a minute or two to fully develop.
Find a bar with a good selection of malts and taste, in order, a Lowland, a Highland, a Speyside and an Islay. If you are still conscious, you should have a pretty good idea of where your tastes lie. Enjoy!!
PS- reading your post caused me to pour a glass of Ardberg. MMMM- wow thats good.    
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

ted nightshade

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 05:02:55 PM »

Gracious, Peter, those prices! Bet that's some good stuff there. I'm sure you are quite right, that's it's far better not to drink. I didn't really (after high school, when we would drink when finer things were unavailable) until moving to the country a few years ago. My wife drinks though, and in order to sing like a broken angel it seems to help- I can't do that, I have to open the door to roaming spirits to get the job done. (Pun noted.) Ah, the sacrifices we make for art!

PRobb wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 20:58

Welcome to the wonderfully world of malts!  First, Scotch is regional, like French wine, and each region has it's own characteristics. For people just discovering malts, I usually recommend a good Lowland whiskey like Glenkinchie (not sure of the spelling)  The Lowlands are very smooth and don't have  the strong peaty bite of some of the other regions. Personally, I like the ones from the isle of Islay, on the other end end of the spectrum. Lagavullin, Talisker actually from the isle of Skye- or Ardberg are great examples. They are huge tasting whiskeys and each sip takes a minute or two to fully develop.
Find a bar with a good selection of malts and taste, in order, a Lowland, a Highland, a Speyside and an Islay. If you are still conscious, you should have a pretty good idea of where your tastes lie. Enjoy!!
PS- reading your post caused me to pour a glass of Ardberg. MMMM- wow thats good.    

Yes, doubtless a good call on the bar... I'll take a hard-drinking friend to help me out, that way I can sample a few and live to tell the tale.

I'm intrigued that you like the peaty smoky stuff. I have an inclination that I might. The Jim Beam rep who gave me an oral history of such things prefers American rice beer to the room-temperature British "Black Breakfast" stuff I love, so I had to consider I might be looking for something woolier than his preferences in whiskey too.

" Personally, I like the ones from the isle of Islay, on the other end end of the spectrum. Lagavullin, Talisker actually from the isle of Skye- or Ardberg are great examples. They are huge tasting whiskeys and each sip takes a minute or two to fully develop."

That sounds promising! Won't be quite like living in a pile of boulders with an open fire, but ah well... Thanks for the names, I've been wondering which of the Islay style things to attempt.

In the meantime, I've located a local 3rd generation (at least) bootlegger who makes her own organic whiskey- this I have to try. I've tried her cherry wines, and they are unbelievably fresh and wholesome. Mmmm.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

PRobb

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 10:59:21 PM »

Yeah- the stuffs expensive. I always have a few bottles of the good stuff in the cabinet for a treat. Right now I have the Ardberg and a Bowmore (another great Islay). but they are definately treats. For everyday I drink blends. The one I keep going back to is a fairly cheap one called White Horse.
  PS- this thread has now caused me to pour the Ardberg two nights in a row. My taste buds thank you, my wallet is not so sure
  PPS- Islay, according to a relatively sober Scotsman, is pronounced "Ila as in I love Lucy"
-Edmund Burke

PRobb

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 11:11:28 PM »

Oh-I forgot. I'm looking forward to a review of the "organic" whiskey.
-Edmund Burke

ted nightshade

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

PRobb wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 20:11

Oh-I forgot. I'm looking forward to a review of the "organic" whiskey.

Me too!
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

PP

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 12:25:06 PM »

ted nightshade

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 07:01:33 PM »

Ouch! I do love to be the butt of ethnic jokes. I don't think I can handle haggis, so it's oats and whiskey for me.

I like to eat kelp, so I ought to like the Isley stuff!

I think that getting the grog stable enough (high enough alcohol content) to stash it somewhere and avoid the revenuers must have been a major reason to get into distilling. I'm for anything to beat the heat!

Rereading the Old Pulteney link, I was really expecting them to say it was aged in herring barrels.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

ted nightshade

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 06:43:43 PM »

Well under the influence of PRobb I went for an Islay instead of the Glenlivet Limousin Oak- mmmm. Yum! This stuff really has serious character. At first I think it's so flavorful that it'll last a long time, then I go back for more and wonder how long it could possibly last...

It's a Laphroig 10 year, best Islay representative my local liquor store had.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

PRobb

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 12:33:06 AM »

Glad to be of service!  A lot of stores have the Johnnie Walker "Classic Malts" collection which includes Lagavullin and Talisker. May your path of discovery be strewn with-aw crap- happy drinkin'!  
And what happened to the "organic" stuff?
-Edmund Burke

ted nightshade

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 02:30:35 PM »

Still got to track down "Evil Eva" and give the organic stuff a try!

Thoughts on the Laphroaig- tastes like brimstone! Is this what the high rollers drink in hell? My "wife" can't stand it- I love it. I did do the unthinkable though at her suggestion and made a mixed drink- habanero lemonade with the Laphoaig, christened Fire and Brimstone. Ah, bliss... woke up in the morning sweating kelp and peat smoke. Pleasant though. I can tell though that something older than 10 year is going to be much more involved and subtle.

Are you into amurickan whiskeys, PRobb? I've been lookin' at some of the stuff at the internet store Peter linked to... any recommendations? I'm intrigued by the stuff that is unfiltered and bottled right out of the barrel at 126 proof... I have a feeling a li'l nip of that might put me right in ragtime heaven.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

PRobb

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 04:06:12 PM »

I figure one expensive alcohol hobby is enough. I've tried some of the small batch bourbons and they can be great, but I'll stick to the Scotch. If I were to be tempted, it would be by some of the Reposado and Anejo tequilas. A Mexican buddy introduced me to those, and they are fine,complex, sipping stuff. Nothing to do with Cuervo Gold!
 I need some education here. Anybody want to chime in?
-Edmund Burke

ToddP

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 02:32:38 PM »

Talisker has a unique flavor (distilled on the Isle of Skye). I am also enjoying an Aberlour 12year and a Dalwinnie 15year. Very nice! Especially with a splash of distilled water...
Now as for Tequila, if you go to AES in San Fran, make your way up to the Richmond District to Tommy's Mexican Restaurant. The largest selection of 100% Agave Tequila north of the border.
http://www.tommystequila.com
You may even make a return trip to attend Taquilapalooza
Todd Peterson
TransAudio Group
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.