R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro Tools HD Unlocked.....?  (Read 37837 times)

Hallams

Pro Tools HD Unlocked.....?
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.......

http://www.airusersblog.com/home-page/2010/5/23/pro-tools-hd -m-powered-unlocked.html
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Reitzas

Re: Karma for Avid...Pro Tools HD Unlocked
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:27:17 PM »

If true, I think the person who did it should be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Same goes for people that download and use the cracked software.
When someone steals from a company that are the creators of software that I legitimately use to make my living, it pains me to think that we all suffer. Money gets diverted away that could have been used to improve the future of the product.
If "you" (meaning anyone) don't like ProTools/Digidesign/Avid, then don't use it. But I hardly think karma is the right word.

Dave Reitzas
http://www.reitzas.com  

Gabriel F

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:28:05 PM »

Sometimes i think this kind of piracy its being made by big names like apple.

How many Macs will Apple sell because of this? Maybe in the US not much, but in South America most post production and music studios dont buy software unless they are forced to buy it like the dv toolkit needed to work with timecode and omf in pro tools,most post production had to buy a digidesign hardware and the dv toolkit becasue it wasnt cracked and the businness forces them to use pro tools.

This could even low avid stocks and Apple or other big name can buy avid.

DSills

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »

If you are using cracked software/plugins then you are a criminal. Karma doesn't enter into it.
"If it's where the heart is, how come you're never home?"
http://www.davesills.com

kats

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:04:38 PM »

Here's the loophole. Your not running cracked software, it's a program the runs separately from PT that makes the software "think" you have DIGI hardware attached to it.

So if you think this is criminal, then what do you think of Apogee and Lynx who offer "cards" the subvert the DIGI hardware requirements?

Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »

I get so tired of people saying that "Avid (or Digidesign) deserved it."

This product is absolutely stunning in its depth and professional usability, and they have never made a continuous huge profit from it.

I for one appreciate Protools.

Sure, every company has something we all wish was better, and that is often in the Customer Service realm.

On a similar note, when iLoks first came about, I thought the whole thing was awful, and tried to avoid iLock. Now I really like the portability of my software, as well as the ease of licensing.  And moving a license from iLok #1 to iLok #2 for some needed reason is fast, easy and free.

As others have pointed out, hacking is a criminal act.

tom eaton

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »

I bought an LE system years ago simply to be able to do transfers from PT to my DAW of choice... however I always thought Digi was mercenary in its practices regarding proprietary interfaces and limited track counts.  Obviously they are the dominant platform (the "Coke" of DAW programs), but I always felt their m.o. was about putting expensive obstacles in the way of making music.  

I do not support piracy.  The people who cracked it should be hit hard for every copy downloaded.

I do hope it reveals more about Digi to its customers.

In 2006 I paid $1200 for my copy of Nuendo. At that time I would have happily done the same for a copy of ProTools that would have worked with my interfaces.  Without track count limitations.  

Seems to me that Digi/Avid has the opportunity to sell a lot more copies of PT to people like me if they want to release a version that has the feature set of the "cracked" version.

tom

Wireline

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 09:16:59 PM »

Sorry...there is no amount of justification for anyone to do this.  It is theft, plain and simple.

Its not really cheating on your wife if you screw her sister, right?

Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, Texas
www.wirelinestudio.com

kats

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »

kats wrote on Tue, 25 May 2010 20:04

Here's the loophole. Your not running cracked software, it's a program the runs separately from PT that makes the software "think" you have DIGI hardware attached to it.

So if you think this is criminal, then what do you think of Apogee and Lynx who offer "cards" the subvert the DIGI hardware requirements?

I'll quote myself and ask:

How many here run Apogee or Lynx instead of DIGI192's with their "HD Cards"?
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

tom eaton

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »

And, it's actually amazing it's taken this long.  When they flooded the world with PT-Free back in the days, they created a bit of a monster with a huge appetite.  It was a risky move back then... and it made them the defacto DAW of the up-and-comer... whose budget for DAW software was and is, uh, free.

Not defending the piracy.  Piracy bad.  

Just thinking out loud.

t

bigbone

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »

Reitzas wrote on Tue, 25 May 2010 20:27

If true, I think the person who did it should be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Same goes for people that download and use the cracked software.
When someone steals from a company that are the creators of software that I legitimately use to make my living, it pains me to think that we all suffer. Money gets diverted away that could have been used to improve the future of the product.
If "you" (meaning anyone) don't like ProTools/Digidesign/Avid, then don't use it. But I hardly think karma is the right word.

Dave Reitzas
http://www.reitzas.com  

That's what i think also..... If you don't like PT, don't use it..I pay for all my software

JN

arconaut

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 10:10:25 PM »

kats wrote on Tue, 25 May 2010 21:21

I'll quote myself and ask:

How many here run Apogee or Lynx instead of DIGI192's with their "HD Cards"?

I don't understand this... If you buy the Digi cards, they "come with" the Pro Tools software. If you use Apogee or Lynx, then you have to buy the software separately, and it isn't cheap. Am I mistaken?
You Are Number Six

DSills

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »

kats wrote on Tue, 25 May 2010 20:04

I'm sure that using this "other program" is a violation of the PT software EULA, and therefore a crack and not a loophole. Just a hunch that most of the torrents of this "other program" also come with ProTools software.

HD Users still need to own Avid hardware to plug those third-party converters into.

I'm also confused on why people think this is cracked HD. No cards=no DSP, no delay comp, no zero-latency monitoring... it sounds more like someone cracked Mackie's "Universal Driver" for M-Powered, which allows certain Mackie hardware to appear to the software as M-Audio hardware.

"If it's where the heart is, how come you're never home?"
http://www.davesills.com

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 11:43:22 PM »

I know it's tempting, but don't do it.  Imagine if someone came by and stole all of the gear out of your studio.  Stuff you spent a lifetime collecting.  Sucks.

I sure would like to have the right to run my pro tools software on my laptop without buying it again.  Oh well.  Too honest I suppose.

Steve

Groovr

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 12:04:05 AM »

Legality notwithstanding (and no, I'm not trying to suggest that this is OK), I'm far more intrigued by what it reveals about the apparently arbitrary nature of the Pro Tools HD voice limitations.

If I had spent thousands of dollars on additional hardware in order to unlock voices when it turns out they could have just flicked a switch on a piece of code, I would be rather annoyed.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.