R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Article from the New York Times on sound  (Read 4328 times)

JSam

Re: Interesting Article from the New York Times on sound
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 05:55:08 PM »

24-96 Mastering wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 07:12

JSam wrote on Thu, 13 May 2010 20:27

Thomas W. Bethel wrote on Tue, 11 May 2010 05:04

Another article with a much different perspective
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/05/10/the-myth-of-falling -fidelity-and-audio-history-unburdened-by-fact/

Ever get the feeling the internet can make you stupid?

Not sure what's so stupid about that article. Given the author's opinion, I think it's pretty reasonably written.

I have a problem with what he wrote in "Myth #1".  The Times' article was completely correct in noting that consumers are knocking down doors to achieve better visual resolution, but they aren't doing so for audio.

What Mr. Kim wrote, to imply that everything is getting better and that the consumer is driving this improvement is hogwash.  I'm always aghast at how people listen to audio and what they can't hear.  They aren't consciously seeking better sound quality in their games; the consumer probably couldn't care less.

dcollins

Re: Interesting Article from the New York Times on sound
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »

bruno putzeys wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 23:29

Always the same thing: that those formats were intended and proven to deliver transparency at high bit rates. The decision to use it at lower rates is the responsibility of the user.

But to the average audiophile, there is no rate at which AAC delivers anything remotely resembling music.

Let alone transparent to 44/16 by listeners trained to recognize coding artifacts.

DC
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 17 queries.