R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ISRC assignments  (Read 3847 times)

j.hall

ISRC assignments
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:12:37 AM »

i'm helping a friend get his ISRC's going.  i've never done this.  their site isn't totally clear on this, do we assign the code ourselves?  we have the registrant account setup.  i can't figure out if i just assign codes myself or not.

past that, i understand that i just log them all with BMI/ASCAP and any associated publishers.

any help will be awesome.

Podgorny

Re: ISRC assignments
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:19:55 AM »

It's been a few years since I did it.  If I recall correctly, you get assigned a range of numbers, and you use those for your projects.  All it took was sending in a fax.  

I'm sure the folks at Brad's forum know way more about this stuff than I do.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

J-Texas

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »

J.

I'm helping out someone with this (and learning as I go).

https://usisrc.org/(S(v5vainai1vrrrof2uprhnjn2))/index.aspx

Apparently, you just register and then the first part of the code stays with you forever.

The first part of the numbers/letters are personal to you and represent different things like: the date, your initials, and so on... but then the end number is the specific song. I think the only numbers that change are the "year" and "track". That gives an artist a ton of codes.

I believe that you're asking whether or not you just assign one of your unused numbers to a song yourself. My understanding is that you do indeed do that yourself and care should be taken not to give a track two codes or use the same code twice in one year.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

rankus

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 06:30:23 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Tue, 11 May 2010 08:32

and care should be taken not to give a track two codes or use the same code twice in one year.

Yes.  I keep a notebook with each code I have assigned noted in the book, and add new codes in chronological order 10,11,12 etc ... (only the last two or three digits get changed for each new track or artist... and you change the year code each year)

So, yes it is up to you to create and assign each new code... but keep track of the codes you have created, and what project/song they were assigned to.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:54:27 AM »

Yah, it's pretty easy. In the US, it's handled by the RIAA, so go to their website and register for your own 'registrant code'. This alpha-numeric 3-digit code will be your unique identifier that you'll use to create an ISRC code for each song.

An ISRC broken down into 4 sections: country code, registrant code, year, then user-assignable numbers.

For example, if you are located in the US and your registrant code is XXX, an ISRC from today would look like this: USXXX1000001
US: country code
XXX: registrant code
10: year code
00001: user assignable number

As you can see you, the ISRC allows for up to 99,999 assignments per year, so it's unlikely you'll ever need more than one code per label.

I generally recommend that folks only assign ISRC's once the release sequence is completed so the numbers will be in order like the release. Likewise, instead of starting at ...00001, ...00002, etc, I recommend people start at ...00101, ...00102 for the first release. If they have a second release within the same year, they can start that one at ...000201, ...00202. While you need to keep these numbers written down for reference, if you follow this method, you can reconstruct any ISRC code assigned in your head simply by knowing which record was released when each year and by looking at it's sequence. Using this method, if you want to know the ISRC code from track 7 off the third release you had in 2002, you'd know the number is USXXX0200307.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit, if you have any other questions, ask away...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

rankus

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 02:08:40 PM »

Thanks for the 101-201 tip Brad.  That is a great idea Smile

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

J-Texas

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »

Thanks Brad, +1 on the organizational help. We right-brainers need it.

Are the codes strictly for identification purposes and royalty distribution? To what extent does the code really have anything to do with the issuer? I want to be able to set someone at ease knowing that just because it's my number given to his song that it's for that song, it's a unique identifier, and has nothing to do with me. Is that correct?

What exactly is the purpose for the code and who uses it once it is issue to a title?
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

bblackwood

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »

In some countries, the ISRC is how broadcast royalties are tracked/paid. Some/most/all(?) online retailers use ISRC's for tracking sales (iTunes does, for example).

There's no real reason as to why you couldn't provide an ISRC for a client, but it essentially means you're agreeing to keep track of that information forever. The $75 registration fee is a small price for any client to pay in order to insure they have their own ISRC registrant code, imo.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 19 queries.