R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: How far should professional courtesy be extended?  (Read 6656 times)

Conner

How far should professional courtesy be extended?
« on: August 05, 2004, 08:49:54 AM »

So here is the deal...I went to see a show last night,(God I love going to shows) I missed most of the openers but the headlining band was Further Seems Forever. I had a rather awful time because I was very excited to see them play, (a couple of the guys are pals of mine) but the sound from FOH was atrocious. There was so much mud in the room you couldn't distinguish any instruments...and forget about the tones. I wanted to shake the FOH guy and ask what he was thinking. It was primarily just a level and compression issue that was an easy fix if someone could have helped him out.
 Hence my question. I guess I would be offended if another professional was trying to tell me how to do my job. But I'm thinking about the band, obviously they want to have their sound portray what they play right? Is there a reason that the whole show has to suck?
  It killed me to talk to the band after the show because all they wanted to know was my opinion on the new singer and new material. I had to tell them I was sorry I couldn't give an opinion because the sound was so bad I couldn't hear it.
 I wasn't the only one either, even one of the guys from Dashboard had to tell them the same thing. Thats gotta be very disheartening to the band members.
 Personally I make no quams about seeing a band that I've worked with or definitively "know" their sound, and telling the FOH how to run the show.
  Please give opinions or examples of times you have been in the same position.

j.hall

Re: How far should professional courtesy be extended?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 09:54:07 AM »

my band loaded into a club to play, we typically try to show up as late as possible when we are opening.

we get there as the opening band is getting ready to go on....they start playing and there is this awful reverb on the drum kit.....and a terrible delay on the vocal.

i wait for the set to be over, walk back to the sound guy and simply say......."i'd greatly appreciate it if you try and not use any effects on my band, just let us play dry......"

i wasn't rude, nor did i act like i knew anything about his job, just made a simple request, and he was really cool about it

STILL

• Real Full Name: Wade Biery
  • I record and stand near stars onstage
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 02:37:35 PM »

This is simple, if you have to tell a guy he's outta tune - don't bother - get someone else.

The unfortunate truth is that bands have to go through this shit at almost every level, which is why people started bringing their own people with them. If the guy was working for your friends then they fire and hire someone else, if not, then they need to start bringing someone, otherwise they might as well not play basically.....

You're almost always gonna get nowhere being someone in the crowd and giving suggestions to the sound guy.......except maybe tossed out....

Fibes

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 04:24:30 PM »

I don't mess with other peoples business. Still has a point or two or or or or.

There are times when i do live sound when i'm out (not working) and usually i'm asked by the headlining band that is scared to death of the mix the opener has (either because they know me or someone they've bitched to does). In my little pond that's my public service and bar tab. This has lead to many studio gigs, too many to mention. I would never, ever approach a house dude about this. I saw a Parliament and the dude had the 2buss comp pumping down 20db when certain vocalists sang. it was prolly a 400,000 dollar system and it soundied like the ducking on a local car dealership TV commercial. I didn't speak up but i did want to hit the dude with a brick. BTW The opening act had their own dude and it was spot on.

Rant over.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

spankenstein

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 06:47:35 PM »

I've foudn it best to not mention it and let the band know. Maybe they'll start bringing their own sound guy. I've tried approaching some guys with pretty little innoccuous things and they get all upset so screw them... let them suck.

drumsound

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 11:26:48 PM »

I don't mix live.  The few times I did it I hated it and thought I did a shitty job.  I don't tell FOH guys how to mix.  I will suggest to the band, if I know or really like them, to hire somebody for that room if the mix was bad.  I tell them if they can they should have somebody with them all the time.  

I really hate when a band has a friend who "runs sound" who comes in and tries to tell me how to mix a record, so I don't them how to mix live.

iluvatar

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 03:03:04 AM »

I generally try to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I haven't been doing this too long, but in my short tenure as a house sound guy (jazz club, ~250 capacity), I've worked with plenty of musicians who make it difficult to get a good mix.

People who:
*play their guitars inconsistently
*bob up and down in front of the mic
*deep throat the mic
*LPF the bass guitar at 150Hz
*insist on having their acoustic duo's monitor mixes at 5x10^12 dB
*insist on cranking their half/full stack in a 250 cap room
*insist on bashing their symbals in a 250 cap room
*don't have a pickup on their upright bass when they play w/ horns.
*don't want a mic OR a DI on their upright when they play behind a horn section (oh no, you'll be able to hear me fine Rolling Eyes )

On top of that, what little money is made by the owners is not reinvested into the sound system.

We have one DBX 166 comp/gate. I bring my RNC. That's it for dynamics processing.

We've got a Mackie 24-4. Channel 18 is spotty. Aux send 1 is gone, so I'm limited to using 2-4 for monitors. One of our two stereo monitor amps lost a channel. One of the 2 flown FOH speakers lost a tweeter - so we've got a couple free-loaner EAW LA's up on poles right now. Most of the boom stands have sketchy clutches - god forbid I have to mic the piece-of-crap out-of-tune no-name piano which, btw, is missing several of the bolts attaching the lid to the body. The Yamaha SPX 90 has a dead battery so I can't save any presets. The ART fx box is a piece of crap with an impossible interface that I have yet to figure out. The sound booth is nearly enclosed and shares a wall with the walk-in freezer. The freezer compressor is above the PA rack, giving me all the white noise, electrical interference, and 95 degree breeze I could ever hope for. On nights with a good crowd, I'm pretty much trapped in there, in front of this thing for a couple hours.

Sometimes bands show up after we've already started seating for dinner, so on top of having tp schlep gear in between tables and waiters, nobody gets a soundcheck.

Then I get stuck playing DJ, having to keep an eye on the friggin cd player. The last player sat directly underneath this compressor which, btw, leaks water. Surprisingly, the cd player doesn't work any more. I found a spare lying around in a closet, and after replacing the faulty audio cables connecting it to the board, hooked it up. The club has a lot of custom-made compilation discs that they like to use for background music. Problem is - 99% of them have spent most of their life either on the floor or in the pool of water beneath this compressor, so guess what - you're gonna want to sit down for this - they skip all over the place. And everybody knows it. And yet they continue to put them in. And they get mad at me for not catching the skipping within 15 seconds. So they're starting to get osme of my music. Don't like Satriani for your 60 yr old jazz crowd? Tough.

And yet we host some of the better shows in town.

In spite of all of this, I love my job and I think I do well at it. But when I see other shows, I don't know what this guy had to put up with before I got there. Yeah, he may suck, but he may just be trying to make the best of what he's given.

Besides, I have a tendency to be a cocky know-it-all jackass, so I gotta watch myself.

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Minister of Public Enlightenment
Mercenary Audio

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

Fibes

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 09:46:48 AM »

Dan,

Understood, but there are times when the FOH dude is clueless, having done this for years with an "i live for nightmares" attitude it is apparent when it's the dude, the system or the band.

Recently a band i mixed an album for was playing at the local club and i caught their show. the full sail grad behind the desk was freaking out because there was this weird thrumming enveloping the entire mix. He asked for my help and grabbed the guitar eq, high passed it cranked out a big chunk of low mids. He asked me if it was OK to use that much eq because his schooling taught him that too much eq causes phase issues. i replied by insisting that the entire PA resonating at 130db at around 100 HZ was a bit more problematic for the listeners. I have a feeling you might agree.

Rochester!
BTW I used to love gigging at the BugJar. i played the Bugfest years ago with the Bomboras and Servotron, it was mucho fun.
Is Universal Buzz Radio still going? Rochester is a very cool town.
Fibes
The Studio

iluvatar

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 12:55:41 PM »

Fibes wrote on Fri, 06 August 2004 09:46

Dan,
I have a feeling you might agree.

Well, ok.

Quote:

Rochester!
BTW I used to love gigging at the BugJar. i played the Bugfest years ago with the Bomboras and Servotron, it was mucho fun.
Is Universal Buzz Radio still going? Rochester is a very cool town.

I've been meaning to check out the Bug Jar. I drive by there all the time (I work primarily at The Montage Grille and a bit at Milestones)

Buzz radio... Hmmm... Doesn't ring a bell, but then I mostly listen to talk radio. (Coast to Coast AM w/ George Noory is the perfect thing on the way home from a show. Smile )

The two main indy/college stations are WRUR (U of R) and WBER (MCC).

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Mercenary Audio

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

xonlocust

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 02:23:59 PM »

oh that is a tough one.  a friends band was playing 600 or so capacity place in town and no lie, the person running FOH was clearly a begginer and it sounded sooo bad.  very much like connors story. it was so frustrating to see an amazingly good band play to a much bigger crowd than usual and have the sound sooo bad.  

the band was telling me soundcheck was a total nightmare.... monitors were in the realms of the nonexistant...  seriously, in this decent size room with a really good PA (i've seen trail of dead there, spoon, the breeders...) all this person had going through were vocals, mixed WAY too high for this rock band. it was like watching a practice session... no drums in the FOH... total, total mess.

the FOH person kept flipping through a notepad surely filled with notes from the normal house engineer - they were totally gunshy.  that was the closest i've come to just walking up and butting in... but, of course in the end, like everyone's conceeded... professional courtesy i guess.  it was clear that person was a rookie, and the only way to get better is with experience - it just sucks when you have to be part of someone elses learning experience.  

ericswan

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 02:35:00 AM »

Back when I still did live mixes on a regular basis on my rare nights off when I would go out to see a band the sound would invariably suck.

My wife would ask me, doesn't it drive you nuts to hear such bad sound? I would usually reply, no, it makes my mixes sound so much better in comparison.

Really, I will never intrude upon someone elses gig unless asked( usually by the band or the management). I figure they have to make there own mistakes or else they will never learn.

Only once can I remember pushing someone away from the console. It was at a show with Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. I was doing monitors and the band's "engineer", after subjecting me to a 3 hour sound check most of which consisted of listening to a snare drum at 110 db, called me on the clearcom during the second song of the show saying the pa wasn't working right. I got out front to find the gain structure completely screwed; the guy had no clue what so ever how to make the thing work. I told him to get lost until I fixed it so you could at least hear the vocals over the stage volume.

I later heard from the guitar tech that a couple of nights later some of the local guys at a club took him out back and beat the snot out of him for being such an arrogant idiot.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." Oscar Wilde

Sacred Heart Studio
www.sacredheartstudio.net
www.myspace.com/sacredheartstudio

iluvatar

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 02:59:44 AM »

ericswan wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 02:35

I later heard from the guitar tech that a couple of nights later some of the local guys at a club took him out back and beat the snot out of him for being such an arrogant idiot.

haha, sounds kinda like an incident that went down at the club where I work, but on a night I was off. The Average White Band brought their own guy and I guess he was a bit of a douchebag, cussing about the system and what not (yeah, it sucks, but ya gotta get over it at some point). He finally got so mad that he kick the soundbooth door off it's hinges.

Later that night, whe he and the band were on the bus, they beat him up and left him on the curb.

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Mercenary Audio

trexrox

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 03:12:46 AM »

For some reason, my town has a huge lack of live soundguys... Most of the places in town SUCK for live sound, though, one club in particular, The EARL has gotten better over the past couple of years (I guess the guy is finally figuring out what he's doing).  I saw John Vanderslice play there once and the guy they brought with them to mix, well, it's the best I've ever heard that room.

Rob Darling

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 02:38:19 PM »

I would never actually say anything to the sound guy, but I would find the band's manager, and say the following, "I don't know if it's me or where the sound guy is located- walk around and see, but I think maybe you should..." and then say some very specific things- "turn down the di acoustic the singer is playing, turn up the bass or compress it, either way, to fill in the bottom, low filter the electric guitar and bring it up..."

Bivouac

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 09:43:36 PM »

I've never done live sound with proper equipment, but I've done my share of basement parties, etc, working solely with (usually my) practice PA equipment.  

I know how to work all kinds of music equipment, and I know how to work an acceptable sound in shitty conditions  Smile  

I'm always tempted to walk up to a soundguy and ask what he's thinking but only once have I ever approached one.  It was at my college's battle of the bands and whomever was allowed to work the sound should never have been allowed near that equipment.  To be expected: a college dork, mackie, peavey, and in the basement of some building, but they were running subs and had plenty of power going to the mains...it should have been pretty good for its purpose.

They had the soundbooth off to the side of the bands like in a monitor mix position.  This guy gets a few things miked up and just sits back and talk to his friends.  The first two bands sound BAD--not that they probably weren't bad to start with, but all anyone could hear were cymbals, vocals, and the 4khz and up of an electric guitar.  He's just sitting there like he already perfected the mix...

This shit's blaring at 120db, he's got stereo (sm58..hehe) overheads and no kick drum mic, random feedback everywhere, and the sub crossover sounds like it's set at 15hz because nothing's coming from there.  This just sucks to watch--a complete misuse of equipment.

So, a band I enjoy was getting ready to come on and I felt that they deserved a little better treatment, so I walk up to the guy and ask him if he's listened to the mix out front yet and he's like, "no bro, that's what I have these for..." as he points to some $30 Sony "studio grade" headphones.  So, very politely, I tell him that the bands deserve more attention than what he was giving them and if he needed any help, I'd be more than glad to offer a hand.

He gets a little huffy but eventually concedes that he might actually need to see what the mix sounds like from the audience since the console is located BEHIND the mains.  I think he ended up just turning up the guitar Smile  He never asked for any help...I left after that next band.

He wasn't a professional and did not deserve any sort of professional courtesy...

Conner

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 08:59:05 AM »

Thanks for sharing opinions and personal experiences,
it definitely sheds more light on the subject. Definitely a frustrating lesson to learn/deal with.

-Conner

Thomas Lester

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 10:56:21 AM »

drumsound wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 23:26

I really hate when a band has a friend who "runs sound" who comes in and tries to tell me how to mix a record, so I don't them how to mix live.

This drives me nuts, too.  And it happens way too often.  It didn't happen to me much when I was working NYC, because it was mostly major label work and most non-band guys didn't make it past the front desk.  However...  now that I've moved to a "minor" market, it happens all the time.   Even if the guy is an ace live guy...  that doesn't mean he know squat in the studio.  

There's a fundamental reason I don't mix live...  it TOTALLY screws up my listening (not hearing... my listening).  Live guys just think differently.  I've found the most live guys can't hack it in the studio and vice versa.  For those handful that do a great job in both...  you are awesome.  For us mear mortals, we have to choose one or the other!

-Tom

Fibes

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 11:47:46 AM »

The jump from the studio back into a live context is easier, that said i started out in the live arena and some of the problem solving, gain structure issues and other things really helped the transition to the studio. Mixing live sound for bands that i've recorded/mixed is a freaking blast, it's less like a pop quiz and more like a well studied exam with all of the answers already filled in.

I don't do much live work anymore but it is pretty rewarding nonetheless. i'm just glad my guitar teching days are over, uh, wait, nary a guitar comes to my shop that we don't have to futz with.
Fibes
The Studio

debuys

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2004, 01:08:58 AM »

IMO If the band, house, or band hasn't asked you to do anything with the PA, don't. It's not your place. Sometimes, especially in small venues, crappy sound on stage eliminates any chance of the guy running the PA makeing them sound good. Sometimes it is the guy's fault running the PA. In that case, unless he owns the club, he won't be there long.

I spent last week in Dallas doing a convention. The band was on somewhat crammed riser on the back of the stage. Being so close to my amp and playing a guitar with single coils I was getting a hum when playing dirty. Keep in mind this is a production with a budget probably close to $500,000. The main sound guy freaks out over the hum. I explain that that's normal being so close to my amp when playing with distortion. He say's he's never run into before. I calmly suggest he straps a gate on the channel. He says he doesn't have 3 "fucking" noise gates (3 splits; monitors, FOH, recording). I bet the situation would have been much simpler and solved more quickly had I just moved the amp under the riser and asked for it in my monitor. I should have solved my problem rather than asking him to do it for me.
Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209

iluvatar

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2004, 01:41:28 AM »

debuys wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 01:08

IMO If the band, house, or band hasn't asked you to do anything with the PA, don't. It's not your place. Sometimes, especially in small venues, crappy sound on stage eliminates any chance of the guy running the PA makeing them sound good.

Yeah, tonight (and tomorrow, too) I ran sound for a 50's-style jazz/blues quartet - chick singer, piano, bass, drums. Band was great, but played pretty quietly (though appropriate for the music). I think the chick is going deaf, though, because she needed her monitors blasted and wound up drowning out just about everything else in every other mic. The piano and drum overheads were the worst, but the kick drum mic even picked up more of her than it did the kick drum.

The end result was this really honky sort of boomy/echo-ey/phase-y vocal sound. And aside from some creative EQ'ing, there was nothing I could do about it.

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Mercenary Audio

tiggie

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2004, 06:45:09 AM »

Bored, reading threads, thought I'd bump this one...

I think it totally depends upon how it's done. I've done quite a bit of live sound, and I've had people approach me maybe a handful of times to make a suggestion... generally if you approach the soundperson and say "I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job, but do you mind if I make a suggestion?" or you say something empathetic first to show that you know they have a difficult job (if you think that is the case) then they probably won't be offended, and if they are then that's kind of their problem. If they are beginners then it might hurt their pride a little but they'll appreciate it in the long run.

I know if you were in the studio recording a band and someone tried to tell you what to do it'd piss you off (I know it pisses me off) but if someone who clearly knows what they're talking about makes a suggestion in a very tactful way then surely you wouldn't automatically dismiss them...?

j.hall

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2004, 09:53:52 AM »

tiggie wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 05:45

I know if you were in the studio recording a band and someone tried to tell you what to do it'd piss you off (I know it pisses me off) but if someone who clearly knows what they're talking about makes a suggestion in a very tactful way then surely you wouldn't automatically dismiss them...?

i only get pissed if the comments come from some one outside of the band or A&R/president of the label.

it's when the accounting department at the label makes me remix the entire record, "or we won't cut the check" that really pisses me off......................

oh

and live sound guys that show up to sessions thinking that an SM-57 and a butt load of EQ (to tape) is the best approach for a good recording....."Hey, tom petty used it on his vocals......"

"yeah, well jon brion uses them as door stops"

NelsonL

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2004, 02:31:01 PM »

I'm going to sit-in on some sessions in LA in a couple weeks.

The producer has made some records we've all heard-- anyway he's been around a long time.

I was interested to hear that his main rule about visitors in the studio is that they MUST be musicians.

Nobody else gets past reception.

Anyway, I'm not offering any criticism unless directly asked--
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.