R/E/P > Brad Blackwood

What's with all the fuss about M/S?

<< < (12/12)

TotalSonic:
Andrew Hamilton wrote on Wed, 05 May 2010 03:20
TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 04 May 2010 18:17
Andrew Hamilton wrote on Tue, 04 May 2010 10:05

Aren't there trafos on most lathe inputs?  I heard about a trafo-less lathe, but was told it was a late development.  

When was the transformerless SAL74B introduced?  About 1978?  Lots of folks did the conversion of their 74's to 74B's after that time.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Since this was just two years before CD was introduced, that was a late development, indeed...  

Dunno - it might have been earlier - which is why I had a question mark as I don't know the precise date it happened.  And there was a good 10 years after it was introduced before CD pushed out vinyl - and there was certainly lots of vinyl releases from that point until the present day as well.  My main point being that I have a feeling a lot of lacquers got cut without the signal going through transformers first.

fwiw - Europadisk's transfer console was run single ended.  I'm sure there were others doing similar as well.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Andrew Hamilton:
Yes, many vinyl releases - and CD releases were made in the years after the advent of the transformerless lathe. How funny if they could have sounded better by sounding worse...  And now we read of those adding trafos back to the mastering console in order put sonic clothes back on otherwise naked modern music.   Not an exact rule, but possibly a trend.  I don't begrudge Sherwood Sax for wishing to minimize the number of trafos that a signal passes through on its way to the record.   After all, back then, most recording studios had already added too much iron, by force.   But once the technology permitted transformerless mic pres, and analog tape was also replaced by digital storage, the transients became like weapons.   "Naked truth wants clothing to look smart.  Let our ME's portray you in iron and germanium and various modes of self-erasure."

Andrew

Gold:
There were many more important elements to the SAL to SAL B upgrade. Most important was the redesign of the grounding system. FWIW I think the Haufe transformer input sounds better than the balancing board they made.

Garrett H:
masterhse wrote on Mon, 03 May 2010 22:18
... I'm amazed at the polarity of opinion among mastering engineers but the quality of work done by all concerned.

+1
Well put, Tom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version