R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: curious DSD question...  (Read 5001 times)

Adam Dowling

Re: curious DSD question...
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 12:24:56 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 29 April 2010 09:35

bruno putzeys wrote on Thu, 29 April 2010 02:05

In principle going from DSD to PCM or going from one sampling rate to another is a perfectible process. If Korg claims its DSD to PCM process is better than sample rate conversion they probably mean compared to hardware SRC's which have all sorts of practical limitations. But a good off-line converter like Izotope's SRC doesn't have those limitations and if Korg's is as good, well that's as far as it goes either way.

I've never used my Korg for anything other than playing back client's files at native rates so I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure the Korg unit doesn't do any conversion in the box - you use some 'Audiogate' software to do it in non-real time on the host computer.

And as I've said before - I'm certain the Korg converters can be beaten by the likes of your own Grimm design, but even with that caveat it's still the best sounding delivery method I've ever had the pleasure of using. I wish they included an easy method of using outboard converters...

Brad, I now realize that it was your mention of the Korg in another post that caused me to look into it in the first place.  Thanks for that too.

Now how about that automotive forum? ... Razz
- Adam

TotalSonic

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »

Gold wrote on Thu, 29 April 2010 07:51

Someone is bringing in a Sonoma rig next week to cut from. I'm really nervous about the HF noise. Has anyone familiar with the systems noticed anything strange like random bursts of out of band noise? That will kill the cutter head. My LPF is only 18dB/oct.

Don Grossinger cut the ABKCO Rolling Stones reissues at Europadisk from a Sonoma workstation that was brought in just for the release.  If he kept it completely DSD to analog (which since this was coming from Bob Ludwig I'm pretty sure he would have heeded what I would likely imagine would be strict requests not to capture back to PCM) then the only LPF he would have had available would have been the HT75's in the Neumann desk.  It's even possible he left this off for the longer sides and just used the acceleration limiters in the SAL84 rack to deal with cutter head protection.  Maybe you could contact him directly to get advice on this as he's the only one I know of who has cut a lot of sides from DSD.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Gold

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »

I have the MDS2 before the LPF. If it starts going crazy I'll know there is a problem. I won't drop the head until I'm sure...I won't have to operate the Sonoma rig.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Sonovo

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »

The Korg unit sounds outstanding, as I recently found out myself.

Using external (Meitner/Mytek) DSD converters isn't possible, but the built in ones seem plenty fine to my ears.

For external converter use, there is the TASCAM unit (DV-RA1000HD).

The Korg DSD-PCM conversion is software based, and actually sounds quite good. Haven't compared it to something like SaRaCon, but it sounds like Korg definitely put some effort into this one.

As pointed out, the portable Korg unit is now discontinued and heavily discounted. It's tempting to pick one up and see if it's as good as the rack mount model...

Cheers,
Thor

crna59

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 05:44:36 PM »

Sonovo wrote on Thu, 29 April 2010 13:36

The Korg unit sounds outstanding, as I recently found out myself.

The Korg DSD-PCM conversion is software based, and actually sounds quite good. Haven't compared it to something like SaRaCon, but it sounds like Korg definitely put some effort into this one.

As pointed out, the portable Korg unit is now discontinued and heavily discounted. It's tempting to pick one up and see if it's as good as the rack mount model...
Cheers,
Thor

We have the MR2000s with AudioGate and Saracon DSD. We actually had the Saracon before the Korg. I'd have to say the AudioGate is very comparable, but Saracon has alot more filter options and such. We also have the Tascam unit that's used with the Meitner converters.

Korg has now come out with a portable replacement called the MR2.

Regards,
index.php/fa/14753/0/
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.