R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of trying Logic!  (Read 7807 times)

adamjknight

Thinking of trying Logic!
« on: April 18, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of trying Logic, cause i hear it is better for songwriting types like myself.
Sounds like the midi, plugins and general workflow could be more condusive to my creativity and you get more value for money compared to my current MBox2 rig.

Anyway, I need a two channel interface and my first stop would be a Duet except that it doesn't support midi and i can't connect my outboard (APIA2D) no SPDIF etc.

I can't afford (don't really need) the ensemble, though it would be nice.

What are my options here?  I am looking for high qaulity, not something i will grow out of too quickly but probably < $1000 if possible.

Adam

jwhynot

Re: Thinking of trying Logic!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 01:54:30 PM »

I decided a few weeks ago that I'd learn Logic using a bull-by-the-horns approach.

It takes a while to get used to the quirks, to be honest.  But I'm really enjoying it now.

As for interface - I'm using PTHD with Core Audio.  I haven't yet gotten their TDM patch to work properly.  For writing, the 8 ins and 2 outs I generally use are perfectly sufficient.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

L Ron

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFireLightbridge.htm l

2 channel s/pdif 34 channels adat I/O

works with PT (M-powered) or Logic

I've always thought this could be amazing if using logic but I'm too comfy on PT. Duet rocks for portability but as you said no s/pdif or midi. If you want midi there's a cheap usb to midi cable.

Adam @ Mercenary would have the answers to your question for sure

jwhynot

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »

I've used the Lightbridge - I can't recommend it.

There are far more reliable solutions.

JW

L Ron

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 02:48:40 PM »

That is too bad. It always seemed like an amazingly cheap work around for getting a ton of i/o with whatever converters you want. What was the reliability issue?

ryan streber

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »

I don't know, I've had the lightbridge for a few years now. It used to be my main interface when I was still relying on PT M-powered (with AD16x's on the front end.)  Now, I use it for setting up backup or aux systems, and it's basically reliable as far as I've experienced.  

IIRC, it was absolutely miserable getting it working at first - lots of quirks with the driver installation, setup, getting clocking right, etc.  But once I got it going, it works well and certainly gives you a ton of digital I/O for the money.  When I have to do live electronics stuff (like live processing of audio for new-music gigs), my usual setup is a Rosetta 800 or AD16X feeding the lightbridge to MacBook Pro running, Live, Max, Logic, or whatever is needed.  Works fine for me.

marcel

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »

jwhynot wrote on Sun, 18 April 2010 11:25

I've used the Lightbridge - I can't recommend it.

There are far more reliable solutions.

JW

I don't think it's that bad.

I have used a Lightbridge for about 2 years now, with Apogee Rosetta 800s and Lavry Blues into PTMP on a 2x2 G5.  I have found it reasonably reliable, albeit at a maximum of 18 simultaneous I/Os.  It's not HD, but it's not $8k, either.

If you don't have to jump through Digidesign's hoops, there are, as John says, much better solutions from RME, MOTU, Metric Halo, etc.
Best, Marcel

jetbase

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 08:10:06 PM »

I've been using a Lightbridge with PT M-Powered for a little over a year now. At first it was flaky, but when I got one of the recommended firewire cards for my PC it became very reliable. Maybe that's a bit silly in itself (to have a firewire interface being picky about what firewire cards it works with), but when you consider the cost of the lightbridge + a firewire card (if your motherboard FW chipset or existing FW card aren't suitable) it's still a pretty cheap option to get a reliable system operating &, IMO, a lot more flexible than LE.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

brianpcooney

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 08:12:24 PM »

I've been thinking about getting a second setup with an iMac and starting to learn Logic as well.

The A/D in the Duet is fantastic and the preamps sound great too.  I wouldn't hesitate for a second using it as a main two channel interface for Logic.  I've used it many times just laying ideas down in GarageBand (I'd use it for my PT LE rig if I could) and it never ceases to amaze me.  

If you want to use your API A2D I would imagine you could use the analog outs to the line in on the Duet.  But, seriously, the Duet itself sounds great.  

FWIW...

JohnLisiecki

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 09:46:14 PM »

You know, if I'm the musician, and I'm recording various things, I really like logic.  

The minute I want to edit or mix something, not so much.

Some things are just not intuitive if you've used any other software first.

grantis

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »

JohnLisiecki wrote on Sun, 18 April 2010 20:46

You know, if I'm the musician, and I'm recording various things, I really like logic.  

The minute I want to edit or mix something, not so much.

Some things are just not intuitive if you've used any other software first.

+1.  PT slays Logic when it comes to editing and mixing.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

PaulyD

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:37:05 AM »

Digidesign/Avid writes Core Audio drivers for the Mbox 2, so you can use it with practically any DAW software for the Mac.

Paul

PookyNMR

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 11:34:47 AM »

grantis wrote on Sun, 18 April 2010 19:51

+1.  PT slays Logic when it comes to editing and mixing.

So does Cubase / Nuendo.
Nathan Rousu

jwhynot

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »

I personally prefer to slay my tools rather than wonder if one tool can slay another.

Just a thought.

I mix on PT - have done since, oh, I dunno, 98?  But I'm enjoying working with Logic and getting used to the various illogical things about it.

What Logic has over Cubase/Nuendo is a much larger user base in LA.  No matter what people might tell you… I see DAWs in this order of frequency:

1.  Pro Tools by a long, long way.
2.  Logic
3.  Digital Performer

Distant 4th - all others combined.

Anyway - I wish they would get rid of that vestigial "environment" concept.  Life is so much simpler if a "track" in the arrange window is equivalent to a "channel" in the mixer.

Too much messing around to get simple things to happen.

But once the environment is set and you have a good template, I find the workflow in Logic to be quite inspiring.

JW

grantis

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 01:52:41 PM »

jwhynot wrote on Tue, 20 April 2010 11:14

I personally prefer to slay my tools rather than wonder if one tool can slay another.

It's hard to slay when you don't have a sword to cut with.

I keep looking for that beat detective thingy....where the eff is it?

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 19 queries.