R/E/P > Brad Blackwood

To the vinyl cutters - clipped waveform

<< < (2/5) > >>

Macc:
TotalSonic wrote on Fri, 16 April 2010 04:38

fwiw - the Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings latest LP that just got released was cut to DMM at Abbey Road from 24bit/88.2kHz premasters that I made - and I think it sounds pretty darn nice!

OT but huge Daptone fan here - waiting for my copy of the CD to arrive. Did you do that as well, could I ask?

TotalSonic:
Macc wrote on Fri, 16 April 2010 07:13
TotalSonic wrote on Fri, 16 April 2010 04:38

fwiw - the Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings latest LP that just got released was cut to DMM at Abbey Road from 24bit/88.2kHz premasters that I made - and I think it sounds pretty darn nice!

OT but huge Daptone fan here - waiting for my copy of the CD to arrive. Did you do that as well, could I ask?

Yup - I did all the mastering for "I Learned The Hard Way" except for the transfer to DMM.  It was a really fun album to work on.

Anyway - I've mastered most of the Daptone releases from the past 3 years with the exception of Naomi Shelton (mastered by Paul Gold) and "100 Days, 100 Nights" (mastered by Scott Hull), and some of the 45's (for which I've pre-mastered a few, but most were by done by either George Ingram at Nashville Record Productions or Paul Gold).  The earlier releases were all mastered by Don Grossinger.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bigaudioblowhard:
TotalSonic wrote on Thu, 15 April 2010 21:38

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

Which album is that Steve?

I've got SJ & TDK "100 Days, 100 Nights" here, with Scott Hull listed as ME. Its cut pretty low. Sounds good to me.

bab

TotalSonic:
bigaudioblowhard wrote on Fri, 16 April 2010 15:48
TotalSonic wrote on Thu, 15 April 2010 21:38

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

Which album is that Steve?

"I Learned The Hard Way" - released 4/6/2010 -
http://www.sharonjonesandthedapkings.com
- just debuted at #15 on the Billboard album charts.

Quote:

I've got SJ & TDK "100 Days, 100 Nights" here, with Scott Hull listed as ME. Its cut pretty low. Sounds good to me.

I like what Scott did on that one - I don't think he used any digital limiting at all and just kept the mids forward to still give it some presence.   There was a little bit of limiting used on some of the tracks for this new one (at the very most a dB of gain reduction - and a few don't have any)  but I'd say it's been kept way more dynamic than the vast majority of releases these days.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Fenris Wulf:
I had to pre-master some very badly recorded material for vinyl. It had severe clipping from the ADC. The waveform literally looked like a brick and I was worried about what it might do to the cutter amp. I used EQ and a multi-band expander on it to try to restore it to some semblance of a normal waveform, and left a few dB of extra headroom so the RMS was at a normal level.

When some ADC's are clipped, they produce a burst of energy right at the Nyquist frequency. It's a good idea to cut it with a notch filter or LPF.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version