R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ...as much as politico shit ain't allowed here...  (Read 6263 times)

Fletcher

...as much as politico shit ain't allowed here...
« on: August 03, 2004, 11:56:40 PM »

I'm taking the liberty [heh, heh] to post this because I think it's funny.  Yes, I know it actually is inappropriate for this forum... yeah, I'm breaking my own rule... and yeah, if anyone else had posted this I would have sent it down to the saloon where it belongs... but for the moment, RHIP

http://jibjab.hoverstudios.com/mirror.htm

In the words of my dear friend Mixerman... "Enjoy"
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

drew

Re: ...as much as politico shit ain't allowed here...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 08:49:00 AM »

priceless. now that's fair and balanced.

asterox

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 11:12:59 AM »

if fletcher's sneaking one in...maybe he'll let this one fly...

warning: NOT fair and balanced but pretty funny nonetheless.

http://www.whitehousewest.com

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 03:58:35 PM »

Seeing as I opened the door with one thread [and rest assured, it will only be this one thread where political shit will be endured!!]... what the hell.

It wasn't very funny [and I'm one of those people that thinks he's a complete moron], but to each there own I suppose.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

debuys

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 02:37:50 AM »

I dont really read political internet threads since most often It's just normally just rants regurgitated from radical sources. Since it showed up here I did. I'm glad there's no ranting (yet).

I vote mostly conservative these days. I'm a registered republican since I live in a mostly afluent neighborhood in Alabama. Many races are decided in primaries so I must if I want my vote to count.

What I find incredibly unfortunate is that in most cases it is difficult to find hard information on a candidate's political history. If you don't believe me, Google "John Kerry voteing record" . You'll find almost all links lead to one interests' or another praising him or condeming him based on one issue or another.

It's diffucult to get facts from the press since most of it is colored. For example: "Isreal incursion kills 4 year old boy" vs. "Palestenian boy caught in crossfire". Both quotes tell the same story while one contains intent to shade the truth in such a way that the author/editor's opinion is validated.

Fox's attempt to be "fair and ballanced" seems to be limited to haveing radical guests from both sides of an issue. Honestly I just think it's anoying. Print journalism and loudmouth entertainers often seem to get the most ears. It's too bad that they are often more interested in their delivery than the issues.

There is one place Americans can get a good idea of what the candidates stand for; the debates. Sadly there are two flaws that are getting worse. First, they have become more often a measure of the personalities and speaking styles of the candidates than of thier issues. Just watch the comentary that follows. If I wanted that I'd watch E! Second, more people will be watching or doing something else entirely and wait for colored and framed snipets from thier favorite news source.

As long as we are a two party system I'd love to have each candidate spend one or two hours answereng questions on the issues in a closed, standardized test style written format. Some parts multiple choice, some essay. Would't you love to know what they really think, under pressure and without thier advisors and spinsters?

I'd also love to see a clear history of where candidates have stood on issues in the past. I'd like to a simple yea or nay, not an analasis of why the candidates did what they did. Let me ask for that. Truth has no qualifications.

Politicians who declare candidacy for another office than the one they are seeking should be required to either resighn or keep a certain level of attendance. It sickens me knowing that many politicians spend more effort getting ellected to office than they do executeing the dutties of that office.

I'm very well informed on issues that I care about. Unfortunately, most are not. This trully is the divide in our society and why election cycles can be so pollarizing. Chances are had 9/11 occured durring one we may not have had the incredible sence of unity that we had as a country.

Combine celebrety trials with reality television and you will see what is wrong with America. I've heard more honest reporting about the Scott Peterson trial than I have about the presidential race. We don't seem to care unless there is unimportant drama. Most ridiculous of all is that a presidential candidate is forced to compete with it in order to get a message across that mostly falls on deaf ears.

Personally I'm of the belief that 50% of the population is above average and we should treat each other as such.

Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 04:10:43 AM »

debuys wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 02:37

I vote mostly conservative these days. I'm a registered republican since I live in a mostly afluent neighborhood in Alabama. Many races are decided in primaries so I must if I want my vote to count.

What I find incredibly unfortunate is that in most cases it is difficult to find hard information on a candidate's political history. If you don't believe me, Google "John Kerry voteing record" . You'll find almost all links lead to one interests' or another praising him or condeming him based on one issue or another.

Welllll... FWIW, I'm a registered Republican... mostly to piss off the neighbors as I live in a neighborhood that a person like me should never be permitted to drive through, never mind reside [my very presence has lowered their property values by a good 5%... probably another 2% as I make no bones about being a Republican].

Truth be known, I'm more of a "P.J. O'Rouke conservative"... which is for the most part a Libertarian as it's rather obvious that both of the major parties are entirely full of shit... but that's a debate for another day.

To John Kerry's credit... I don't know how many of you remember this... but many, many, many moons ago, I think it was back in the 80's, the RIAA had tried to get a copy protection law through congress, the basis of this analog copy protection scheme was to drive a sharp dip in the 3kHz range of the frequency band... as if records didn't sound bad enough.

John Kerry was one of the staunch supporters of that bill... until he showed up at a Boston chapter AES meeting where they played that copy protection scheme to him, then explained how we all break our balls for audio quality and this was not only a slap in the face, but sounded like shit and would cause record sales to plummnet [in other words the major form of copy protection afforded by this system would be to make records unlistenable so who'd want to copy them anyway].

Within a couple of days of attending that session, Kerry withdrew his support... now while I can't even begin to relate to this guy... I do recognize that for once one of the politico assholes actually "listened"... which gives him a big leg up in my book... the other leg up he has is the Texas Rangers... they got rid of Bush, they got rid of A-Rod... and now they're contending.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

mitgong

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 10:41:30 AM »

debuys wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 02:37

Come again?

http://www.vote-smart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=S042110 3
My name is Matthew Saccuccimorano.  I should be working, but I'm posting this message instead.  I deserve punishment.

debuys

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 12:55:51 PM »

WOW!

That googled right to the top. About 4 weeks ago that site didnt show up at all. Thanks!
Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209

LanceSexington

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 08:17:47 AM »

Fletcher? Do you think I should use the SM57  to mic up my President...or should I just strangle him with a monster cable? Rolling Eyes
Wayne

Otitis Media

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 08:39:21 AM »

SM57 did an admirable job picking up Dubya pointing out "Major League Assholes" to Cheney a while ago Smile.  
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 11:25:16 PM »

The p-RESIDENT better talk/sing in a lollipop. It would do less harm to the world.
Laughing
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

t(h)ik

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 06:12:20 AM »

It's great when you can make a two minute cartoon that sums up the entire situation...lmao

I wish I had a link to give you guys but since president Bush has completely wrecked Europe they are hard to come by...

By the way, in the states it may be distracting to talk politics with the band before a take but here I find it hard to keep silent when asked, "Is SRV the one singing on this CD you have?"

The Euro pop radio culture and Robbie Williams is a much more disturbing and delicate subject than bringing up which dumb ass will bomb where next....

When you are talking about great Marshall tone you have to specify that you meant Hendrix and not Buffet...

The threat from pop music is real!
And England, Belgium and Germany are the Axis of Evil!

P.S. Don't tell them about Shania Twain....

I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

McAllister

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 10:20:50 AM »

Well, as long as were not talking about politics, here's a little something I am more-than-a-little involved in:

GWBSingers

Lots of Optigan organ usage.
Purely meant for giggles and enjoyment.

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

lucey

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 02:50:04 PM »

McAllister wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 09:20

Well, as long as were not talking about politics, here's a little something I am more-than-a-little involved in:

GWBSingers

Lots of Optigan organ usage.
Purely meant for giggles and enjoyment.

M

hilarious!

are those un-edited W quotes?
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

Pier

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 04:40:58 PM »

OK...this one's not funny, but..if you actually watch it, you'll wish everyone else would too:

http://www.outfoxed.org

This film is in theaters now in NY, DC, LA, etc.  The DVD is only $10 and it's really worth the watch.  Rupert Murdoch currently is infecting over 4 billion people on this planet via  radio, TV and newsprint (often in the same city - like mine) with the current republican party line dressed up as run-of-the-mill conservatism which is then dressed up as "fair and balanced".   Yes it's a critique of the republican party in so much as they are the ones using this tool (Fox News Corporation) to brainwash people the world over, but it's also about the erosion of journalism in general in favor of the bottom line of multinational corporations.  That includes ABC, NBC and CBS.  

If you like the idea of believing anything (as opposed to everything) you read, see or hear, give this film a chance.  As music professionals, the frightening takeover by Clear Channel of American radio and the effect it has had on our industry alone should spark an interest.  

Also Eric Clapton and Don Henley donated songs for the film - guess which ones?

This film is not a litany of "left-wing nuts" rattling on.  It's Walter Cronkite as well as former top Fox News Executives and on-air talent.  

- by the way - in response the post above, the world and the issues in the world aren't black and white.  By asking for the world to be explained to you in overly simplistic terms all you are doing is inviting people smarter than you to manipulate what you think and why.  The art of politics is compromise.  If legislators didn't make deals we wouldn't even get the pathetically few laws passed that we actually do.  If a bill for feeding orphans has a rider on it that says "kill all people over 65" then you wouldn't vote for it (or I wouldn't anyway)and then someone could say I'm against feeding orphans.  The world isn't that simple.  This is the reason why governors get elected president more often than legislators.  Governors don't have to vote on any issues.  They just sign the bills that work in their favor and veto the rest.  You couldn't find a single congressman or senator from either party who's voting record couldn't be spun a hundred different ways.  It's the nature of the job.

$.024   Confused

Pier Giacalone, NYC

"...it's the unknown unknowns."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.