R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 6072: Raytheon or GE 5-Star?  (Read 24773 times)

Caco

6072: Raytheon or GE 5-Star?
« on: April 10, 2010, 07:27:48 PM »

Guys,

My friend and I have been searching for 5 star GE 6072a tubes, and found that they are pretty scarce and overpriced. We've decided to go for it and narrowed my search to this seller that has them (also overpriced) and advised me to try these Raytheon tubes instead:

Quote:

I have a second recommendation actually. I have a set of 32 matched Raytheon USA triple mica blackplate 6072A. These are cherry picked tubes with the best specifications. I can sell you 8 matched pieces.

When GE began to lower the quality of the 6072 in the early 60's, the raytheon corporation who are a high end military contractor developed their own design of the 6072 and the quality and performance of this tube is at the pinnacle of audio quality. This is a triple mica blackplate tube.

I have sold 6072 to Kondo and Audionote owners all over the world and the consensus is that while the 50's GE 6072 are excellent and a huge upgrade to stock GE 6072A the opinion of most users who have used both is that raytheon actually sound the best.

I sold a large lot of both GE 1950's and Raytheon 6072A to a gentleman from Greece back in 2008. He is the president of the audio club of Athens. He came back and ordered 20 more Raytheon 6072A and other members of his club also bought many raytheons. I believe they held some kind of live audio test comparing the tubes for the club membership and Raytheon was the top pick.

I also sold a large supply of both GE and Raytheon to a gentleman from Hungary and he also came back for more raytheons. I will happily sell you either GE or raytheon and I am glad to work with you to insure that you'll have 2 phono stage tubes and no unacceptable tubes.

Anybody heard these tubes before? This seller has a stellar reputation and seems that he is an expert in tubes.

Stephen Andrew Bright

Re: Raytheon Tubes/GE 5 star 6072a
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »

I've got one and it doesn't sound like a GE 5-Star at all in a C12 circuit. It is much more midrange-forward, whereas the 5-star seems to be very even. Noise floor about the same. I wouldn't recommend it for a C12-type mic, but in a different mic design it might be just fine.

Stephen

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:07:33 PM »

Over $100 per tube?  That's a rip off.

I don't know which variation of the Raytheon Stephen has.  I have a small hoard of my own. The choice ones were made in I believe the 80s.  They have orange paint.  I have not found them to sound more aggressive than any of my 5 star GEs, whether it be square or round getter.  

I like the Raytheons, and I would choose them over those green GEs any day.  I am using one in my Pape C12.  I just think that anything more than $50-75 per tube is outrageous.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Caco

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »

JJ, you're absolutely right. But ya know, they don't dictate these prices, these tubes are scarce and therefore they take advantage of the situation to raise the prices.

I am getting a green label tube for free from T-Funk ( at least that was what Fletcher said ) and bought both the Raydeons and the 5 Stars; I'll try them all in different mics and possibly on some gear.

When you say they are more aggressive means they are much better right?

Thanks

Stephen Andrew Bright

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 08:35:31 PM »

Here are 2 photos of my Raytheon 6072a as it came to me in a C12VR:

<http://www.c12vr.com/AKGC12VR/5797.jpg>
<http://www.c12vr.com/AKGC12VR/5794.jpg>

Stephen

Caco

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:49:56 PM »

These are JAN ones right?

Greg Youngman

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:07:27 PM »

Don't waste your money on 6072a.  12AY7 will work just fine.  I know... low noise, blah , blah, blah.  BS.  It's your money.
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »

Greg,
My experience - I initially went the same route as you did, many years ago, trying to save money- was that I was wasting time AND money going the 12AY7 route.

You will probably sift through a lot of 12AY7 to find one that is remotely close in noise floor to 95% of NOS 6072 Five Star.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Caco

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 12:56:24 AM »

We've got 4 5 star GE 6072a and 4 of those Raytheons, so I will be posting results in a near future, including comparisons with the ECC81 and the green label 6072a.

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 01:07:58 AM »

...and make sure that EACH of these tubes is broken in at properly calibrated operating voltages for at least three days uninterrupted, before you test noise floors.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Caco

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 03:11:57 AM »

Will do it Klaus.

Greg Youngman

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 12:12:21 PM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Sat, 10 April 2010 18:44

Greg,
My experience - I initially went the same route as you did, many years ago, trying to save money- was that I was wasting time AND money going the 12AY7 route.

You will probably sift through a lot of 12AY7 to find one that is remotely close in noise floor to 95% of NOS 6072 Five Star.

I respect your experience with these tubes in a mic circuit.  My experience is mostly with guitar amps (some mics).  I guess I can't justify spending so much time and money hunting down the "Holy Grail" tube like some guys do.  I even find some off brand tubes that don't test well, but sound as good or better than a great testing Telefunken.  You never know until you try it in the circuit.  Do you agree somewhat?

Greg
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

J.J. Blair

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »

Caco wrote on Sat, 10 April 2010 17:30

JJ, you're absolutely right. But ya know, they don't dictate these prices, these tubes are scarce and therefore they take advantage of the situation to raise the prices.

I am getting a green label tube for free from T-Funk ( at least that was what Fletcher said ) and bought both the Raydeons and the 5 Stars; I'll try them all in different mics and possibly on some gear.

When you say they are more aggressive means they are much better right?

Thanks

They are scarce, but not THAT scarce.  I did not say they were more aggressive.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Caco

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 12:47:53 PM »

JJ,

My bad, you've said they SOUND more agressive. Was that a compliment?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »

No.  Here's what I said: "I have not found them to sound more aggressive than any of my 5 star GEs, whether it be square or round getter."
studio info

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.