R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Zdrastvootie is some of the worst crap I've ever heard  (Read 22081 times)

J.J. Blair

Zdrastvootie is some of the worst crap I've ever heard
« on: April 08, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »

Nicholas suggested I start a thread.  Here it is:

If Gentle Giant mated with some talentless, goth garage band from the 80s, and had an abortion, it would be Zdrastvootie.  The lack of musicality, combined with the overwhelming sound of "we're so fucking indie and cool, that we don't care about being listenable," sounds like the most self indulgent musical masturbation I've heard since Axl Rose thought he could play piano.  

You have to understand tonality before you can be atonal.  Bitches Brew was played by some of the masters of their instruments.  Mike Garson's dada-esque solo on "Aladin Sane," is great, because the guy is a piano prodigy, and wasn't just randomly playing some instrument he didn't understand.  Elvin Jones could play time perfectly.  When he stretched the meter, it was not an accident.  Frank Zappa's "The Yellow Shark" was an exercise in intentional atonality.  He told me that the most difficult thing he ever did musically was make sure that everything was dissonant.  He clearly had to know all the rules of harmony before he countered them.  (It didn't make the result any more listenable, but at least he could also write "Peaches En Regalia," and not just mind numbing noise.)  

Zdrastvootie is nothing but a bunch of artsy fartsy guys with instruments, making unimportant noise, that is a waste of the vinyl it's pressed on.  It has none of what made the shortcomings of bands like the Velvet Underground or Bauhaus listenable.  And the unconventionality of it just sounds like a train wreck by guys who just can't do anything better.  My dog knocking a guitar over makes a more interesting musical statement.  

Of course, fans of this band can't acknowledge their own insanity, and I'm sure would rather compare them to how VanGogh was never appreciated in his lifetime.  But if anybody can't see this steaming pile of shit for what it actually is, and says things like "this is one of the most important records in the history of rock," then they clearly are in need of a drug test.

http://www.myspace.com/zdrastvootie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xY7qAo6ibE
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

jwhynot

Re: Zdrastvootie is some of the worst crap I've ever heard
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »

Thanks a pantload for those links, JJ.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 06:52:06 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 08 April 2010 18:10

...making unimportant noise...

In so many ways.
Philip

Dave Hecht

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:00:42 PM »

JJ,

If you keep feeding the trolls, they'll never go away.

Dave Hecht

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:10:22 PM »

I'm trying to poison the troll.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »

zdrastvootie    ?huh?    Were those 4 of the lucky six "girls" N was referencing?

The was a band called Be/Non  from KC  that made a record called Meet the person most responsible for your safety  that is pretty cool and plays in the experimental vein --   probably long out of print......  

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 07:37:15 PM »

JJ and Carter were the other 2! He onlygot to second base with me!

jetbase

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 09 April 2010 08:10

Of course, fans of this band can't acknowledge their own insanity, and I'm sure would rather compare them to how VanGogh was never appreciated in his lifetime.  But if anybody can't see this steaming pile of shit what what it actually is, and says things like "this is one of the most important records in the history of rock," then they clearly are in need of a drug test.

I'm sure that fans of this band simply like being 'clued into' something that no one else is clued into. Of course, they're not really clued into anything so they settle for liking crap that no one else would so that they can kid themselves that they are elite.

As for Van Gogh, I just happened to see a touring exhibition containing some of his works on the weekend & was discussing it with a producer in the studio last night. He mentioned that Van Gough seemed to have a different colour palette to everyone else, I suggested it was the brush strokes. I think it really comes down to the way he saw things & the fact that he could accurately express it through his artwork. His work was appreciated in his lifetime by those around him, his peers, and it steadily grew to its renown today. And now that I have had the fortune to see 'Starry Night' from inches away, observing the colours, the depth, the textures, etc, etc, I feel a little bit 'elite', along with the artsy fartsy's, the houswives, the tourists, the schoolkids & whoever else was there.

In addition to this, last night the producer I mentioned played to me, during a break, part of the new Peter Gabriel cd, including his version of 'Heroes'. Again, I feel special in the same way (as I did for seeing Van Gogh) for having the priviledge of being able to listen to this. Here it is as part of a good cause:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjZOof4BYig
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

bigbone

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »

Do they got a fan base.........

breathe

compasspnt

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 08:26:15 PM »

jetbase wrote on Thu, 08 April 2010 19:41

Of course, they're not really clued into anything so they settle for liking crap that no one else would so that they can kid themselves that they are elite.

Yup.

breathe

bleen

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »

Nicholas, are you 12?

breathe

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 08:53:14 PM »

J.J., if you ever record music as good as this in your entire life I will respect you.

http://www.post-consumer.com/zdrastvootie/Zdrastvootie_2_03. mp3

bleen

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »

Someone forgot to bring the guitar tuner to the session. And the drummer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.