R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog Cable : XLR & TRS, Shootout?  (Read 9609 times)

compasspnt

Re: Analog Cable : XLR & TRS, Shootout?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »

Good idea.

And try to include the cable Jim speaks about in the test.

I would love to find out that it is really, demonstrably good.

KB_S1

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 09:00:17 PM »

If you are making up TRS connectors and you are trying to choose between Neutrik straight connector and the Right angled version, bear in mind the right angled one is much trickier to work on. Well it is for me anyway.
So if you don't need to save the space I would avoid the right angled ones.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 30 March 2010 18:50

Good idea.

And try to include the cable Jim speaks about in the test.

I would love to find out that it is really, demonstrably good.

Will do what I can asap, given enough time to get it put together. My buddy
has 200' of Monster already lying round his shop, so I'll cut out 40' of it and that'll be one of the contenders.

Will try later, probably next week to track down some General and or Belden, and whatever else I can get on the cheap(er) side. Canare, or Mogami, though I understand
the Mogami isn't exactly cheap. I know nothing about the Canare.

To stay within practicality for me lengths of the cables in contention will be 20'. Thats what my Accus are. Hopefully it won't be a problem getting the raw cables in shorter runs. We shall see.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

jrmintz

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »

The best sounding cable I've used is Gotham. I once did a shootout of four cables. The difference was subtle compared to Canare and Mogami, both of which sounded good, but it was noticeable. The one I liked the least was the Monster 1000 mic cable.

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 09:18:06 PM »

Well, I've got Monster, and Belden in the stock thus far, not sure of which models of cable as I haven't yet seen them. They're each some stock what my buddy already had in his shop.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Spindrift

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 11:57:46 AM »

DIY Canare/Neutrik here. Beautiful handcrafted results and the sense of accomplishment are great...plus its WAY cheaper.  I think the source/mic choice/placement will make 99% more difference than your cable choice.

But, in the slower times, it is comfortingly fun to obsess over such minutia....I too am guilty!

Blas

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 10:40:42 AM »

Adam, All our cables are Canare Quad-star (double leads) and Neutrik plugs.  Smartest thing here, I have a tech at a local electronics shop build 'em.  I'm too crazy with the soldering iron (looks like I have some type of shaking disease when I'm finished).

Good luck, and do post the findings.

Joe
Conjecture and theory are all well and good...but the proof comes out of the speakers - Fletcher
He who has said the pen is mightier than the sword, has never been in a pen & sword fight!- me

Ryan Massey

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 01:36:22 AM »

Cable is something I just don't get worked up over, as a rule.  As long as the quality of the wire and build are good, you'll be fine.  

Since you are considering Monster:

A client traded me a reel of Monster cable that I found to be some of the lousiest cable I have ever had the misfortune to work with.  Both the hot and cold conductors were covered by a black film, such that it was challenging to see which color I was working with.  Trying to remove that coating would often strip the colored wire insulation off as well.  Very frustrating, and very flaky.  I still have half of the reel sitting here unused.  I can make a cable with Mogami or Canare in literally a quarter of the time and know that it will turn out better every time.  I don't know if all Monster cable is like this, but between my frustration with the wire I worked with, and the company's well documented shoddy business practices, I avoid their products like the plague.  My $.02.

Edit: One more kvetch- the insulators tended to start melting at a much lower temperature than other cable I am used to working with...
   =www.sharkbitestudios.com=

compasspnt

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 08:53:44 AM »

Ryan Massey wrote on Sat, 03 April 2010 01:36

I don't know if all Monster cable is like this, but between my frustration with the wire I worked with, and the company's well documented shoddy business practices, I avoid their products like the plague.

QFE

Wireline

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 09:05:56 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 03 April 2010 07:53

I don't know if all Monster cable is like this, but between my frustration with the wire I worked with, and the company's well documented shoddy business practices, I avoid their products like the plague.

QFE

What they all said...just won't do any business with a company that tries to sue a cartoon for copyright infringement.
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, Texas
www.wirelinestudio.com

Tomas Danko

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »

Wireline wrote on Sat, 03 April 2010 14:05

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 03 April 2010 07:53

QFE

What they all said...just won't do any business with a company that tries to sue a cartoon for copyright infringement.

Even worse they threw cease and desists towards a tiny t-shirt designer company and a non-profit school teaching kids to ski.

Besides, Steve Albini detailed the painful problems their guitar cable connectors can cause when using high voltage valve amplifiers due to the head of the plug being too big.

Finally, Mr. Kimble withdrew his distribution deal through Monster Cable because of all the lawsuits etc.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 10:44:04 AM »

Sorry, I'm not up on the Monster Cable bad business/ethical practices. I do own a pair of their HDMI cables, which work fine, that I bought because the guy at the store recommended them and I needed some HDMI cables. I have since discovered had I shopped around and done some research I could of had some HDMI cables that work fine but cost half as much, or even less as the Monster HDMI Cable.

If Monster Cable isn't a reputable company I can easily take them out of the running.

Thanks all.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

compasspnt

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »

Monster has the worst reputation of almost any company in "pro" audio.

Very few in recording would want to consider them.

They charge three times the price for a fancy box, and much of their cable is difficult to work with yourself.

ryan streber

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »

I've also had great luck with Gotham GAC3.  It's reasonably priced, very easy to work with and build from, wraps nicely and predictably, and is very durable.  I've used a lot of mine on location and in live settings for years with 0 problems - except for the time a guy ran a piano over one and sliced it up pretty good, but even that was nothing some gaff tape couldn't take care of:)

I have also found monster to be deplorable.  I got some TRS>TT monster cables for a "good price" on Ebay a few years back. After minimal use, four out of the 6 have literally fallen apart, and the ones I tried to fix were such a PITA that I didn't bother with the remainder.  Waste of money.  Hosa is better than that crap, imho.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.