R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I connect AES/EBU 96k converters to S/MUX ADAT Lightpipe?  (Read 6130 times)

breathe

How do I connect AES/EBU 96k converters to S/MUX ADAT Lightpipe?
« on: September 05, 2008, 06:55:40 AM »

Hey gang.  So it looks like the only way to get high end multichannel converters at 96k into Pro Tools LE is to use the M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge.  The problem is this interface only has ADAT Lightpipe connections, but you can combine pairs of inputs and outputs with S/MUX bit splitting to do double speed sample rates over Lightpipe.  The only other alternative to this unit for me is to buy a full blown HD system, but I don't quite have the dough for that right now.  The Apogee AD/DA16X and Rosetta 800 converters have ADAT Lightpipe connections that are doubled to allow S/MUX bit splitting for double speed sample rates, but after a recent experience described in another post, I am beginning to feel that Apogee converters are inadequate for my D/A for use with a summing amp.  I'm eyeing the Benchmark 1000 system converters for this purpose as they seem to be cheaper than the Lavry Blue's and are well regarded.  In any case, in order to connect non-Apogee converters to the M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge I will need to convert AES/EBU to ADAT Lightpipe over S/MUX, which remember requires two Lightpipe cables per 8 channels of double speed sample rates.  All of the boxes I've seen for converting AES/EBU to Lightpipe don't do S/MUX bit splitting.  Does anyone know of a format converter that will convert AES/EBU to S/MUX Lightpipe?

Best,
Nicholas

breathe

Re: How do I connect AES/EBU 96k converters to S/MUX ADAT Lightpipe?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »

No help?  No one knows how to connect 96k AES/EBU to SMUX Lightpipe?

Nicholas

brett

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 08:16:22 PM »

breathe wrote on Sat, 06 September 2008 00:27

No help?  No one knows how to connect 96k AES/EBU to SMUX Lightpipe?

Nicholas

I find it interesting that you are willing to go through a signal convertion to a format that is inferior in order to avoid using an Apogee DA16x without ever hearing one.

But to answer your question Z-systems makes digital routers that will do what you need. They're not cheap either.

mixwell

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »

breathe wrote on Fri, 05 September 2008 05:55

Hey gang.  So it looks like the only way to get high end multichannel converters at 96k into Pro Tools LE is to use the M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge.  The problem is this interface only has ADAT Lightpipe connections, but you can combine pairs of inputs and outputs with S/MUX bit splitting to do double speed sample rates over Lightpipe.  The only other alternative to this unit for me is to buy a full blown HD system, but I don't quite have the dough for that right now.  The Apogee AD/DA16X and Rosetta 800 converters have ADAT Lightpipe connections that are doubled to allow S/MUX bit splitting for double speed sample rates, but after a recent experience described in another post, I am beginning to feel that Apogee converters are inadequate for my D/A for use with a summing amp.  I'm eyeing the Benchmark 1000 system converters for this purpose as they seem to be cheaper than the Lavry Blue's and are well regarded.  In any case, in order to connect non-Apogee converters to the M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge I will need to convert AES/EBU to ADAT Lightpipe over S/MUX, which remember requires two Lightpipe cables per 8 channels of double speed sample rates.  All of the boxes I've seen for converting AES/EBU to Lightpipe don't do S/MUX bit splitting.  Does anyone know of a format converter that will convert AES/EBU to S/MUX Lightpipe?

Best,
Nicholas

I agree with Brett, you should listen to the DA16x....it eats the Ros 800 in features and sound quality. It has better analog components and sounds deeper and clearer to my ear. It can also be calibrated very precisely, unlike the Rosetta 800. With a DA16x, you'd get 8 channels of 192K ADAT SMUX4 or 16 Channels of 96K ADAT SMUX2. With an AD16x, you get the same...

I think you're venturing into territory which I've often defined as the "enemy of high resolution". You'll find plenty of expensive products that do just what your looking for, but honestly [to my engineering aesthetic] this would be going backwards in quality simply to use 96K. I think you'd find the tool your looking for in the RME camp. The RME ADI-192DD is the product you should check out, if you want to achieve what your suggesting.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_adi_192_dd.php

I would be weary of more components in the chain, and not all Format Conversion is created equal, in fact, [again to my engineering aesthetic] you'd probably have to spend way more money on better Format Conversion Hardware to get professional results that you could live with, [for music applications!!], as opposed to getting better converters from the jump; I could be completely wrong as I often stay clear of such practices. I would never Format Convert high end converters with respect to the AD stage of the process, as well I would SRC ONLY when absolutely needed at the appropriate time in the production, using my DAW algorithm, or another high quality algorithm, at the end of its life in my storage medium.

So....I would recommend getting better converters, that of course fit your music, your gear selection and your aesthetic. Better converters, that sound better with your gear will make you happier with 44.1-48K sampling rates, than compromised converters with compromised analog input/output electronics going through compromised format conversion sampling 96K.

Ang1970

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:21:15 PM »

breathe wrote on Fri, 05 September 2008 06:55

Hey gang.  ***chop***
Best,
Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,
Just wondering what you finally ended up with for your system, and if you found any other solutions to the benchmark->lightpipe dilemna.
Cheers,
Angelo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.