R/E/P > Budget? Budget? We Don't Got No Steekin' Budjet

4 channel Pre question

(1/3) > >>

jc-muscleshoals:
I have a Great River single channel and I have a 2 channel FMR RNP. I am now needing to track live drums. I am swapping my 2 channel Apogee Rosetta in for the 8 channel version and now I need 4 channels of PRE. I really really want the API3124 but not in the budget right now. I will probably go for 2 more RNP's but I wanted to check here first. Is there something in between that I should consider? I've seen the 4 channel SSL for under $1000 and the Focusrite Blue 4 channel ISA pre fairly cheap on Ebay, but in researching it seems those units receive no love.

tom eaton:
The Daking MicPreIV is a little cheaper than the API and every bit as good...  either is really worth it, and in the long run you'll save money because you're going to lose some when you sell whatever interim preamp you buy when you end up buying a Daking or API in a year...

tom

Adam The Truck Driver:
Someone might recommend Sebatron's VMP4000. 4 channels tube, with Hi/Lo band EQ per. I don't own it myself, but ask one of the Mercs. They can tell ya all bout it.

jc-muscleshoals:
tom eaton wrote on Wed, 31 March 2010 13:30
The Daking MicPreIV is a little cheaper than the API and every bit as good...  either is really worth it, and in the long run you'll save money because you're going to lose some when you sell whatever interim preamp you buy when you end up buying a Daking or API in a year...

tom

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Is the API 3124 worth $1700 more than 4 channels of the FMR RNP for drums, because thats really all I'll use it for (and maybe keys)?

Hank Alrich:
You might wind up never selling the RNP'S, even when you later spend more for something else. They are stunningly better than their price would suggest, and their main shortcoming, slightly higher EIN, won't show up when tracking drums unless you use insensitive ribbon mics like the Beyer M160 at a distance from the kit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version