R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog Cable : XLR & TRS, Shootout?  (Read 9614 times)

Adam The Truck Driver

Analog Cable : XLR & TRS, Shootout?
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:57:51 PM »

I have thus far a couple Accusound Silver XLR cables, and they are
somewhat expensive, but sound quite good. I was wondering if there
maybe a make of cables just as good, but for lesser money? Are
there even better cables for close to the same money as the Accusound?

I was considering doing a shootout on say, four makes of cable, counting
the Accusound I already have, adding a TRS line to those to run from preamp to monitor control, and then have a like set with 3 other makes. Would that be a waste of time ya think if all are top of the line cables from their respective makers? Lets say, Accusound, Mogami, Gotham, & Monster? The best sound for the least money is what I'm after I suppose. Would that be price divided by sound quality, or visa versa?

This maybe a silly idea, but I've been stagnating for months in my financial situation, in a job I hate, but can't quit to do something else & other than a select couple of microphones acquired/paid for recently, I haven't made any movement forward otherwise.

I'm wanting to get some progess going on my studio and begining to get all the analog cables I believe is something I can do now rather than later, or in part at least.

For use in proposed cable shootout, I've got an R84(DJV), and a UM70S right here and a CS1 coming at a later date, and also I have a funkenwerked 57. I have a Daking Mic Pre One and an SPL MTC and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones. Am I wrong in thinking if I put in place the repective cables that I could hear their given characteristics live?

Well?
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

compasspnt

Re: Analog Cable : XLR & TRS, Shootout?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »

We just go with Mogami or Canare, good XLR's, and make them ourselves.

No need to overspend, IMO.

bleen

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 29 March 2010 13:15

We just go with Mogami or Canare, good XLR's, and make them ourselves.

No need to overspend, IMO.

Ditto!

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »

If Mogami does the trick for CP, well then...Canare I've not heard of...no suprise.

DIY is an option certainly though I'll have a buddy put them together. What of the connectors? Anything specific there, brand, gold plated or whatever?

Thanks Terry.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

McAllister

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 05:38:49 PM »

I've had good luck with Neutrik & have wired a bunch myself.
(novice solder-er, too)
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

CWHumphrey

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »

Throw in zip chord as a control.

Cheers,
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

J.J. Blair

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:09:21 PM »

Skip gold plated.  Don't need it.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »

Neutrik or Switchcraft, can't go wrong with either.

Don't cheese out with oriental ones though (at least for now, maybe they will get better).

Halfway Competent

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:59:41 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 29 March 2010 18:39

Neutrik or Switchcraft, can't go wrong with either.

Don't cheese out with oriental ones though (at least for now, maybe they will get better).

+1.  I find Neutriks a little easier to assemble than the Switchcraft.

The overseas no-name plugs will only cause you grief.  Worst case scenario, they'll crap out on you right in the middle of that one-in-a-million take.  Hah!  Never had that problem with Neutrik or Switchcraft plugs, but I HAVE had that problem with the no-names.

Can't go wrong with Canare or Mogami.  I've never used Belden, but they make every sort of cable.  I think Whirlwind's mic cables use Belden wire.

PookyNMR

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 10:12:26 PM »

Halfway Competent wrote on Mon, 29 March 2010 19:59

I find Neutriks a little easier to assemble than the Switchcraft.

That has also been my experience.

I have a number of brands of cables.  Mogami in the studio, Canare for the live stuff.  A few Belden snakes, digiflex inserts, gepco, etc.  I find the Canare a little more durable than Mogami, but the Mogami wraps easier.

I don't believe that I can hear an audible difference between any of the cables.  Long cable runs and quad cable are a possible exception.  But even that is splitting hairs.

I do believe I hear a difference with the silver cables.  And I don't like the difference.  Sounds a little brighter in the high end to my ears.  

In another thread in Dan Lavry's old forum, we had worked out how different conductors could possibly affect the sound.  IIRC, after looking at the numbers and doing some math, the differences between copper cables was minute, but there were some more slightly less minute differences with other conductive materials.
Nathan Rousu

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 10:13:44 PM »

Thanks to all for their input to my questions.

AB
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

mixwell

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »

Adam - I think, you should just get whatever cable you can afford and is sensible for you, and not worry much about it.  ACCUSOUND also makes a QUAD Cable that is very good as well, and is less expensive than the Silver Studio Line. It compares with CANARE QUAD. Truthfully though, Its not like this  __ % difference in cable is worth fussing much over in the thick of things. The Quality of cable is more about build construction and longevity rather than Sound, even though that certainly is a part of it. So, I hear the same thing, the ACCUSOUND SLIVER's are damn good sounding cable, and extend the qualities of the equipment I select, but we've got looms and yardage of the other stuff [CANARE, REDCO TGS, MOJUMBO, ETC].....and all that stuff sounds fine to me too. Again, I do think cable is the part of your equipment, but its not like your tying knots with string between your mic's and preamps.  

Jim Williams

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »

Everything makes a difference, it's whether you can hear it or not.

I use low cost General Cable 8014 or Belden 9182 Lan network cable for mics. It's an ideal 150 ohm impedance, it's 8 pf capacitance and 14 ohms DC resistance at 1000 feet. I use Neutrik connectors and pound out the plasic insert so it clears.
I've used this cable since 1992. I've compared to some very good wire including AGSS Kimber pure silver. The top end details are similar. Ray was also impressed by this cheap 22 cents per foot cable. It is thick and stiff, don't trip over it.

Compared to cloudy Carnare and Mogami mic cables, it's like after your ears pop when landing in a jet. For those stuck using thinner flexible cable, go with the AES/EBU 110 ohm versions, that has far less capacitance and helps remove the cable fog.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

John Ivan

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Tue, 30 March 2010 11:52

I use low cost General Cable 8014 or Belden 9182 Lan network cable for mics. It's an ideal 150 ohm impedance, it's 8 pf capacitance and 14 ohms DC resistance at 1000 feet. I use Neutrik connectors and pound out the plasic insert so it clears.
I've used this cable since 1992. I've compared to some very good wire including AGSS Kimber pure silver. The top end details are similar. Ray was also impressed by this cheap 22 cents per foot cable. It is thick and stiff, don't trip over it.

Compared to cloudy Carnare and Mogami mic cables, it's like after your ears pop when landing in a jet. For those stuck using thinner flexible cable, go with the AES/EBU 110 ohm versions, that has far less capacitance and helps remove the cable fog.

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Sad
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 06:26:34 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Tue, 30 March 2010 10:52

I am concerned about hearing the details of a sound source, which is why I've been going after kit like the CS1, & was worried about the analog cables in the signal chain behind it, given everything else in the chain is top shelf as well. I can hear the difference of the Accusound Silver I have over a friends cheap whatever it is cable and there is no doubt which sounds way better. The one that costs $100-$110 per 20' factory made is a huge improvement in sound. That being the Accusound Silver. I don't mind spending way less as long as it sounds as good as it can be. But in most cases in my experience in anything, I've found most times I have gotten what I have paid for.

EDIT: I was going to say, I should just do a shootout with all these less expensive cables that have been mentioned here, and hear for myself. My Accusounds will be the standard on which they are judged.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 20 queries.