R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M/S Room Mic Question  (Read 1818 times)

jdier

M/S Room Mic Question
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:35:26 AM »

Fletcher, somewhere in a pic of you or a room you set up (I think) I saw an M/S mic config set up as a room mic.   The set up was about 1 inch from a wood floor.  I am curious about this.  I know I can try it and see what the results are, but I was wondering if you could share when this location (near floor) would be something you would try.

I guess I have always wound up with my M/S stuff for drums either 18" or 4' (approx) from the floor.  I just would never have considered moving it so much lower.
jdier - Home recordist

(currently selling one of my dual Great River preamps)

Fletcher

Re: M/S Room Mic Question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 12:00:49 PM »

I'd have to see the picture of have some other point of reference.  

I do different stuff all the time and while I kinda have 1/2 a catalog of stuff somewhere in the nether reaches of my time addled brain... without a reference perspective I can only summon things up like that in the throws of a session... usually from the calling of gut instinct rather than summoned rational thought.

In other words... I dunno.

My only thought might have been that it could have been around the time I went to visit colleges with my oldest daughter in Chicago and saw Albini leaving mics on the floor as a "boundary" technique [which works quite well I might add]... OR... it might have been some weird thing where for some reason my head ended up in that spot and I said "oo--this spot sounds really good... lets put some mics here" [which is the kind of stuff that happens to me on a somewhat regular basis].

Doubt that helps, but hope that it does.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

iluvatar

Re: M/S Room Mic Question
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »

I believe this is the picture, from the Meth Lab Studio page:
http://methlabstudio.com/images/studio/germany_floor_big.jpg

IIRC, that was from a session done by one of the other engineers, not Fletcher.

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Minister of Public Enlightenment
Mercenary Audio

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.