R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: micing a drum kit with 002 rack?  (Read 1850 times)

Max Foreman

micing a drum kit with 002 rack?
« on: July 28, 2004, 11:41:57 PM »

I'm looking for a D/A converter. I'm looking at the Digi 002 rack, but it looks like it only has four mic inputs. I'm a beginner in digital audio, so forgive me if this question sounds silly, but is there a way around this? Should I scrap the Protools LE system and get a MOTU 828? Are the mic pres on the 002 rack any good?
Max Foreman

debuys

Re: micing a drum kit with 002 rack?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 12:27:17 AM »

I think what you mean is that you are looking for an fire wire audio interface, A/D D/A converter and preamps or an all in one box.

I'm fairly sure the Digi 002 includes 8 analog inputs with pre's on 4 of them so in order to mic 8 sources at once you'll need 4 more pre amps. The pre amps included on the MOTU unit and the 002 are comparable. The ones on the 002 are focusright low end....in other words on the level of a Mackie or similar calibar budget mixer.

Personally if I was to start over I'd get the 002. It's hard to beat 8 analog, 10 digital ins and outs, midi, software and a controll surface all in one. To illustrate here's what I got 6 years ago:

Layla $900
Alesis 12R $300
Cakewalk 7 $250
Snakes to conect Layla and mixer through inserts $80

That's $1530 that became a money pit since it all got replaced.

Certainly in 6 years the 002 might be obsolete from a marketing perspective, but if it still does a good job who cares. My original rig just kinda sucked.
Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209

Max Foreman

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 12:47:15 AM »

The 002 is different than the 002 rack. The 002 rack is about $1,100 cheaper. I'm not sure I want my pres in the same unit, since there is no possibility for upgrade unless I get a new converter. I don't know much about the preamps that come with either system, but I'm under the impression that I would want to get nicer ones. But about the rack, it looks like it has four mic inputs and eight line inputs.
Max Foreman

debuys

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 02:56:13 AM »

Max,

I just noticed that I replied to you also in Mr. Massenburg's forum too. Let me give you some heartfelt advice. But, I have a question first:

How are you paying for it all, trust fund, summer job, a loan, imaginary money? When I was in college I had to collect beer cans to buy a pack of smokes. As I implied earlier debt is a bad idea unless you have mitigateing circumstances such as when I bought a computer since my main DAW went fubar in the middle of a paying project. Since then I have set up an emergency and replacement fund (saveings account).

So you know who I am and how I can relate: My profile is honest. I play and teach for a living. I do own a profesional studio that runs off of mostly semipro gear. I estimate I make around $2/hr at the studio not includeing the value I have built up in my studio through purchases. There have been months where I've had to make rent out of my own pocket, but I think it ballances.

If you are without a dedicated location and without any gear at all you are very far from aggonizeing over a small purchass like a 002. The truth is that's overkill. You don't have monitors, mics or even cables or stands. I'd reevaluate the needs you have. It seems you are convinced you need 8 chanels to record drums. You dont. Context will dictate what you need. I bet you're just trying to cover your bases though. That's not silly, maybee a bit shortsighted though.

You need to decide on these things in this order (excuse me for turning on the teacher in me....I really dont know even half of what I pretend to):

Portabillity...You dont have a studio so how easy is ALL the gear to move.

Budget.....Set a hard dollar amount you can afford

Function....What are you recording?

Workflow....How hard is it to get set up, comfortable and get work done.

Im guessing here: you just want to get started and learn the ropes without haveing to start over again with gear purchassing. You will start over again and again but some pieces will remain. Those pieces, as I said before, are the pieces that aren't digital in nature.

Here's a sad truth you MUST understand: whatever you buy to interface with your computer will be orphaned by the manufactuer in under 6 years. OS's will change and new drivers will not be written. It's just a sad fact that those of us that have gone digital must grasp. So, plan on a funeral pyre for anything you buy now, even if it works when you upgrade your computer.

In the computer realm you have to decide what software you like and then build around it. This isn't about sound, no matter what the pundits tell you. It's about workflow. You can then decide what you want to interface with.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----
Here's my suggestion:

Buy a cheap 2 in 2 out interface, computer that's adequate, good monitors, a pre amp pair, an analog controll over the monitors so you dont destroy them and 5 mics: SM57, MD421, 2 SD condensors and 1 LD condensor. Untill you can make a good sound with that you're just spinning your wheels. You may be stuck with a $200 interface that you dont need, but that's a good deal better than changeing your mind.
Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209

raw-tracks

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 11:34:20 AM »

Max Foreman wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 23:47

The 002 is different than the 002 rack. The 002 rack is about $1,100 cheaper. I'm not sure I want my pres in the same unit, since there is no possibility for upgrade unless I get a new converter. I don't know much about the preamps that come with either system, but I'm under the impression that I would want to get nicer ones. But about the rack, it looks like it has four mic inputs and eight line inputs.

The first 4 ins on the 002-Rack can be either Mic or Line. So you can use external pre's on all 8 analog ins, if you would like. The fact that the 002-Rack has 4 pre's out of the box, as opposed to only 2 on the 828, will be cheaper for you to get up and running to start.
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com

Audioboffin

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 08:57:43 AM »

No worries, it will work ! "Kick, snare, and a pair" drumkit recordings can sound fab ! Add 2 more pairs of preamps and you have 8 microphone paths. If you need more inputs, there are plenty of 8 channel mic preamps with ADAT format output that you can use to give you some more mic inputs. Very Happy The Behringer ADA8000 is probably the most inexpensive.

I also think the 002 is a pretty damn good way to get up and running, and totally agree with debuys. Plenty of input and output options, and it gets you straight into Protools.

Lots of people make the mistake of thinking "no way, I CAN'T record a kit without a pair of API's for kick and snare, a pair of custom tube preamps for the room, Neve 1073's for the toms"..... and don't ever bother to learn about things like mic positioning, working with the drummer to get a better balance so the high hats aren't overbearing... why don't you help out some friends with their recordings and formulate some opinions for yourself first ?

Good luck with the recordings Smile

mosier

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 12:25:47 AM »

Just wanted to add that the 002-002r pres are not focusrite.  They are digidesign pres based on the digiPRE (not the same as).  The MBOX and ProControl/24 use focusrite pres.  I had the MBOX for a year and it sounded pretty nice.  I upgraded to a 002r and I noticed a big difference.  I was really debating on the 002r and the mk828 as well and I felt the 002r suited my needs more than the 828, plus you get Protools when you buy DIGI hardware.  I'm pretty sure you don't get any with the 828.

Best of luck with whatever descision you make.  Either way they are both very nice units.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.