R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ITB solo'ing  (Read 3937 times)

j.hall

ITB solo'ing
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:49:40 AM »

so this is perhaps a stupid question, but i'm at a loss as to what i want to do/how to pull it off on my specific rig.

i've always wanted to be able to solo my FX and just listen to straight verb/delay/pitch, whatever.  but when you do that, the auz send on whatever track mutes out.

is there some modifier key in PT 7.4 that changes that when i push the solo?  or do i really have to setup an AFL output to go directly to my monitor console?

i have a second source input on the console that isn't used, so i could wire that up, however i'll be chewing up two more outputs on my converters, and i do use a lot of outboard while mixing.

hit me with ideas.

KB_S1

Re: ITB solo'ing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:56:57 AM »

You could use pre-fader sends but then you have relative level issues.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

craig boychuk

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »

I think if you have the track in question assigned to an aux input ie - all the drum tracks going to an aux bus for a submix - you can mute the aux, but all the sends from the tracks routed to it will still be running.

obviously this won't work with every situation, but if you already like to setup submixes in your sessions then it can be a good solution.

Not sure if you can get around this otherwise. I'll check when I get back to the studio this afternoon.

-craig-
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

Podgorny

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:38:06 PM »

You have a few options.

You could create a subgroup before your master fader for all audio tracks, and route all effects returns directly to the master fader. Then mute the subgroup to hear only effects returns.

OR, as needed for soloing, assign the out of the effect return to an unused (perhaps digital?) output.  Then open your i/o settings and swap the digital output with your stereo out - Thus effectively not using up any more analog i/o.

And of course, there's pre-fader sends.  Not useful for a full mix, but since you're on an HD rig, you could change a send to pre-fader, then use the "copy to send" function (⌘+option+h) to correct the send level.

But the easiest way you've already said; just use another pair of outputs.

By the way, I'm not in front of an HD rig at the moment.  Is it possible to assign the PFL path to the main output?
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

martthie_08

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 03:25:09 PM »

I use sends to physical outputs (i.e. Out 3-4 for a full ITB mix) on each aux return and then patch that output to a free external source input on the mixing board.

If there is a more elegant solution I'd love to hear about it!

cheers, Marten
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 16 queries.