R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: spectrasonics worth it ?  (Read 30857 times)

Jim Williams

Re: spectrasonics worth it ?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »

Spectasonics were a bit different as the designer went for greater linearity and fast response over other designers of that time. They touted the ability to pass square waves without messing up the waveforms. Modernize the discrete transistors and good things can happen.

Anyone needing any technical info on these should contact Ray Kimber at KimberKable. Ray has all the schematics, layouts and every book published on his huge library shelf in Ogden, Utah. He has 20 feet of Spectrasonics technical books. If there is anything else you need to know, the original designer is also located in Ogden as he's involved in avionics now. He has a Spectrasonics hanger at the Ogden airport.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Steve Hudson

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 11:42:33 AM »

I spoke with Ray Kimber at Jim's suggestion while looking for a schematic for the SS 1100 6x1 mixer. Ray referred me to the guy who bought Spectra Sonics' assets and is now making reissues of various SS products like the 610 comp/limiter:

Applied Technology
Bill Cheney
606 North Marshall Way Ste 101
Layton Ut  84041
Phone: 801.593.9813
Fax: 801.593.0073

Bill was very helpful and generous with his time.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

trunkline

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »

+1 on talking to Bill Cheney.  Very generous with his time when I called him.  

Steampal, is your board like the one at the Stax Museum?
http://staxmuseumnews.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

If so, I'd love to get some info from you on the guts of the console.  I have a goodly chunk of one of these that I'd like to build into a functioning mixer, & it'd help a lot if I had a better idea of all the interconnections inside the board.

Thanks
Tom
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.