R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Wavelab 7 for Mac!  (Read 55024 times)

TotalSonic

Re: Wavelab 7 for Mac!
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2010, 02:59:28 AM »

soundroid wrote on Wed, 31 March 2010 02:33

does anyone know if WL7 allows metadata entry for BWF files?

Not sure about WL7 -
but this free cross platform utility app from Sound Devices does -
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/waveagent.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 08:13:25 AM »

soundroid wrote on Wed, 31 March 2010 08:33

does anyone know if WL7 allows metadata entry for BWF files?

Yes it does (you can set it in attributes of the file format settings, on the bottom of the 'save as' dialog).
24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Mon, 29 March 2010 06:08

(perhaps a separate Sadie thread is warranted? ; - )

WaveLab users; tell us Mac guys ~why~ you like it, what it offers us.

Like I've already stated Sonic sB is working great for me.

Curious.

JT

For Live Mastering, like you and I do (recording wild), I'd say WL may not offer much more than three  things.

1. You can rip in a whole CD with PQ and correct pauses.

2.* It creates a CD Text (ici?) file that sB doesn't

3. It allows creation of the "Minus 1 Track"

most of it otherwise is about comparable to sB, but thats three solid reasons to have it around, I may consider getting it.

*been awhile since my limited exposure to WL, maybe it doesn't do this

bab

pmx

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 02:01:51 PM »

i was told that not being able to put audio in the pregap is something due to the osx burning engine. that is why sb doesnt support it. kinda weird, because you wouldn't need the burning engine if you create just ddp's, i'd say. i would be interesting to see how wavelab is going to handle that in the mac version.
Paul Matthijs Lombert | The Mastering Factory

ak

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 06:12:03 PM »

Gold wrote on Fri, 26 March 2010 18:11

MoreSpaceEcho wrote on Fri, 26 March 2010 12:41

you can run up to 8 out/8 in, but there's only one external loop available.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by external loop. As long as you save one output for the monitor couldn't you run the other seven to the outside world and back in again?

Paul,

i think he mean there is just one analog chain loop. What is true.
So for vinyl mastering i would need at least 2.
would be great to have analog inserts in the CD montage for that
purpose.
So i would´t need another software like SAM.

greetings

Andreas

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2010, 06:11:27 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Mon, 29 March 2010 08:08

(perhaps a separate Sadie thread is warranted? ; - )

WaveLab users; tell us Mac guys ~why~ you like it, what it offers us.

Like I've already stated Sonic sB is working great for me.

Curious.

JT

I have been using WL since version 1.6

I use it on a daily basis and it just works.

I have done some pretty tricky editing on it and never had a problem. It works for classical editing, it works for radio production and it works for mastering. It does everything I want it to do and is stable.

The only other DAW I use is Samplitude for multitrack. I like it and it works well but I am just use to WaveLab.

One really good thing about WL is Philippe Goutier, the principle programmer and originator of WL. He is always on the WL forum and answers questions and takes to heart what people are asking for. How many other programmers can you talk to directly???

WL has not had a version upgrade in 4 years so everyone who owns the program is waiting for this one.

The only known problem with WL and it supposedly has been fixed in WL7 was the burning engine and if you were not using Plextor burning equipment lots of people had problems getting it to work. We have never had that problem (loud sound of Tom knocking on wood) so I guess I was just lucky and used the right equipment.

It also had some problems with WAVES plug ins but supposedly that was taken care of as well.

It is due out in the second half of this year and I cannot wait to see it.

All I can add is "TRY IT - YOU WILL LIKE IT"
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Gold

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2010, 10:14:26 AM »

Andreas,

Now I'm confused again. Could you describe what you do in samp that you can't do in wavelab?
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Table Of Tone

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2010, 01:06:41 PM »

WaveLab 6 had me scratching my head for the first week or so, after I switched from sB to WL for capture and assembly duties, but after that, I started to really get into it!

I really love it now!

I use the AudioCube version!

On the few occasions I'm asked for DDP's instead of or as well as a PMCD, I use Sonoris DDP Creator.

I'll probably buy WL7 as well, in the fall of this year, when it's finally available, but will stay with AudioCube WaveLab 6 for capture as nothing can touch it!

Silvertone

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »

Okay so here we are mid September... are they really going to wait till after AES to start shipping this?
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »

PG, the author of WL, let it be known that he would be on vacation until the 10th of September which is today. Rumor has it that next week will be the release date but considering Yamaha and Steinberg's proclivity for drama when releasing new software and/or equipment it might just be at the AES show in the fall.

Only the "big guys" really know...for sure
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Bonati

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 06:25:26 PM »

I'm seriously thinking of taking the plunge to WL7 mac version. I have two self-built PCs here that run WL6 and WL5. I love the program and I'm fast on it. I've done a lot of customizing to both versions (function keys, label maker, etc etc) - does anyone know if it's possible to simply copy those preference files over to "mac WL7" and have it work? That label maker in WL is actually terrible but I spent the time to make it work really well and I don't want to do it over again.
Josh Bonati
Brooklyn, NY
www.bonatimastering.com

Dave Davis

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2010, 08:59:16 AM »

I've been testing WL7 over here for a week.  So far so good.

I doubt your prefs files will transfer properly, even on PC.  7 appears to be a total overhaul of the app.  The downside is that PC users face a similar learning curve to mac newbies.  The upside is both groups will have a very customizable, flexible and powerful app that does things the old ones didn't...

...like DDPs, as a stock feature in the Pro version, and the wonderful Sonnox n/r suite.  I've tested the DDP feature in both directions (opening/cutting from existing ddps made in other apps, loading back CD masters as DDPs, and opening/cutting from WL7 DDPs in other apps).  Works great with a minor caveat: loadbacks don't recapture all subcodes, due to issues with modern DVD-capable drives (they rely on data services, and don't read subcode).  Philippe, the author, is looking into fixing this.

The mac port is pretty good and stable already, but there are predictable issues with plugs.  PSP's newest plugs work great, the Master series, not so hot - it's workable, but barely.  YMMV depending on plugs you use.

OTOH the mac version doesn't always follow mac conventions, and it's often hard to find things.  In some respect it's like DP, with many key features hidden in little mini-menus and gadgets that are only visible in certain windows and conditions.  Fortunately, it's not terribly hard to customize the workspace.  If you put in a saturday or late night you could probably make WL look/feel like whichever DAW you normally use, at least functionally.

Frankly I'm pleased and amazed that it works as well as it does, since it's essentially version 1.0 on the mac.  If first release of major upgrades to Logic and WBP (or OSX for that matter) were as solid, no one would hesitate to rev-up and these forums would lose half their traffic! Wink

-d-

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »

Dave Davis wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 08:59

...like DDPs, as a stock feature in the Pro version, and the wonderful Sonnox n/r suite.  

I read a favorable review that Garret from Treelady wrote about the Sonnex oxford NR suite in the latest TapeOp.

I'm interested if you've had time to put the Sonnox n/r plugs through some paces or compared them to Izotope Rx.

I was going to pick up Rx, but thinking it's better to for go that for now and just pick up Wavelab and integrate that into a pitcher catcher set up and maybe be able to use the Sonnex suite on the very rare occasion.

Dave Davis

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »

So far, my WL skillz are far from mad, so the simple answer is "not yet".

I also just got RX2, so I have what I need to compare.  In fact I actually did a bit of playing, and in that brief time I found RX2 to be a little cleaner sounding results, but I know the tools much better (from RX1) so it's not surprising.  I was pleased at how easy the sonnox stuff was to set up - very well designed, and laid out.  It's a real pleasure to use them, and I found it easier to get something passable with them.  Part of this is that I know how much better the slower modes of RX sound (which are all WAAAAY faster in RX2), and tend to use them, whereas I'm just learning Sonnox, and only using it real time.

-d-

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2010, 10:25:29 PM »

Thx. I'll most likely give WL a go in the next couple weeks and add Rx soon after.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 17 queries.