R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Wavelab 7 for Mac!  (Read 55172 times)

Jerry Tubb

Re: Wavelab 7 for Mac!
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 05:28:37 PM »

I'll probably pick up a copy of WL7 for my Mac Mini with Snow Bunny, maybe as a possible pitcher, and for experimentation.

But I can't imagine anything other than my Sonic sB rig for the capture-edit-assemble-burn work.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Gold

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 10:44:48 AM »

ak wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 18:58

Why i am using SAMplitude is because i can master
several tracks at the same time using two analog chains
which is not possible with WL.

Do you mean that with wavelab you can't have four separate outputs with separate processing? That would make it a no go for me.

When I moved from Sadie I originally bought wavelab. I was shocked and dismayed that it had no routing options other than a monitor.

bblackwood wrote

a Mac Mini would probably be overkill...

It seems to me you would need two firewire buses and a pair of interfaces. The only ones I'd trust are the metric halo ones. Does the mac mini have two separate firewire buses? I think you'd end up with a tower and cards.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

bblackwood

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »

Gold wrote on Fri, 26 March 2010 09:44

bblackwood wrote

a Mac Mini would probably be overkill...

It seems to me you would need two firewire buses and a pair of interfaces. The only ones I'd trust are the metric halo ones. Does the mac mini have two separate firewire buses? I think you'd end up with a tower and cards.

Only if you want to use one machine to do it all, easy enough to use one for playback and another to capture. The Mini already has optical dig I/O.

Just thinking aloud, can't really see myself doing any of the above...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

fuse

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »

Ed Littman wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 15:48

Before the external loop i just used the live input plug.
iirc Brad wanted more routing options than WL offered but he can chime as to why jumped from it as his main daw.
Ed

Funny that you mention it. I actually asked Steinberg to build  mastering console functionality into Wavelab but they replied that nobody would use buy so would be hard to sell.
On the other hand trying to keep track of latencies and keeping everything in phase would be quite the challenge. That's why WL has only 1 external insert FX option.
Wouter Veltmaat
Eindhoven

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 12:41:03 PM »

Gold wrote on Fri, 26 March 2010 14:44

Do you mean that with wavelab you can't have four separate outputs with separate processing? .

you can run up to 8 out/8 in, but there's only one external loop available.

Gold

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 01:11:19 PM »

MoreSpaceEcho wrote on Fri, 26 March 2010 12:41

you can run up to 8 out/8 in, but there's only one external loop available.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by external loop. As long as you save one output for the monitor couldn't you run the other seven to the outside world and back in again?
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 01:22:03 PM »

yep, you can do that no problem.

urm eric

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 02:13:21 PM »

tom eaton wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 07:28

allowed you to edit files WHILE you were recording them (does ANY program do this today?)and was ridiculously fast as an editor when you were used to it.  
tom

SADiE ...

Eric
Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

masterlab

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 06:09:24 AM »

....and in case you didn't notice:

SADiE 6 NATIVE is just around the corner!

We are beta testing it for a while now and all the good things about SADiE are there, now with added benefits of using 3rd party hardware, e.g. more i/o (first thing I used it on was a DVD 5.1 master, 6 ins 12 outs...)
Last weekend I used it at a onlocation recording of a chior, Fireface 800 as interface, add 8 mic pres, 12 sim. channels no problem what so ever, editing while recording was a breeze...
Did some more editing on the train going back with the built in laptop soundcard. Smile

There will be more work done, esp. in the VST and GUI areas.

cheers

-a-

andreas balaskas
chief mastering engineer
    www.masterlab.de

lowland

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 07:41:14 AM »

Yes, SADiE allows quite a lot of freedom while in record or play. I remember my first exposure to Avid when I used to do DVD authoring, and (this may have changed by now) how dismayed I was after using SADiE to discover that doing  just about anything in Avid while playing stopped playback.

As far as 6 is concerned, presumably working on the 'better late and right than on time and wrong' principle they told me the other day it won't appear in public for another couple of months, having been originally billed for release at the end of February. For someone like me who does mastering almost exclusively, doesn't use a lot of plug-ins and already has a 16 1/O machine I don't know how much of an advance the new software will be but I'm going with it anyway, mostly for the possibility of editing on a laptop anywhere - the garden's looking inviting now Spring is here!
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 08:08:18 AM »

(perhaps a separate Sadie thread is warranted? ; - )

WaveLab users; tell us Mac guys ~why~ you like it, what it offers us.

Like I've already stated Sonic sB is working great for me.

Curious.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Ed Littman

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 09:10:24 AM »

fuse wrote on Fri, 26 March 2010 11:23

Ed Littman wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 15:48

Before the external loop i just used the live input plug.
iirc Brad wanted more routing options than WL offered but he can chime as to why jumped from it as his main daw.
Ed

Funny that you mention it. I actually asked Steinberg to build  mastering console functionality into Wavelab but they replied that nobody would use buy so would be hard to sell.
On the other hand trying to keep track of latencies and keeping everything in phase would be quite the challenge. That's why WL has only 1 external insert FX option.

I guess thats why they removed live input for WL5.With enough users moaning they put it it back with one of the updates. By that time i was just using the external loop plug.
Ed

Greg Reierson

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 09:37:53 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Mon, 29 March 2010 07:08

(perhaps a separate Sadie thread is warranted? ; - )

Stability and speed. I was a Sonic user (Classic and HD) for a decade before I switched after an Audio Cube demo (WL5). True, no 4-point edit (unless PG has finally taken our suggestion to heart for WL7) but the workaround is workable, and on balance I can still edit a classical piano album in about the same amount of time.

That said, I'll think about WL7 some time next year - after it's been proven to be as stable as WL6.

GR

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Mon, 29 March 2010 13:08

it's all i've ever used for mastering so i think a large part of why i like it is because i'm just really used to it. also i haven't tried most of the other mastering-oriented DAW's so i honestly don't know if there's anything about wavelab that isn't standard on every other program.

but i've always found it really intuitive, i click here and it does what i expect it to do, drag there, same thing. which sounds dumb, but whenever i'm in another DAW i get frustrated when i can't move around with the same ease and speed. you can navigate around the montage really quickly and precisely with just the mouse, and i haven't found another program that works the same way.

editing in the montage is a joy, again it's really simple and intuitive, i find that the way wavelab displays the waveforms 'makes more sense' than other DAW's i've tried. depending on where the mouse is positioned over the clips, you can split them, move them, adjust start and end points, adjust fade in/outs, adjust volume/pan envelopes, etc. again, that's mostly standard stuff, but simply being able to split clips without having to select some damn scissors tool i find invaluble...

it has tons of features i never use, but they don't get in the way of the stuff i do use. the interface is pretty stripped down and straightforward and i like that. most other DAW's seem really cluttered to me.

the smart bypass is cool, i don't use it as much as i probably should.

and you can do pretty much everything you need to do right in the montage...i read about people using one program to do all the processing/analog captures and a different program for sequencing/pq/isrc/burning and it just seems nuts to me.

MTCW, YMMV, OMGWTFBBQ, etc.

soundroid

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010, 02:33:34 AM »

does anyone know if WL7 allows metadata entry for BWF files?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 19 queries.