R/E/P > Bruno Putzeys (Designer) - Dave Hecht (Master Tech)

Stanford Research Systems - SR1 - Dual-domain audio analyzer - Experiences?

(1/3) > >>

boggy:
Greetings everybody, congratulations for a new forum! :)

I'm in planning phase for buying stand alone (bench, reference) audio analyzer and I find
 (not very expensive like AP):
Stanford Research Systems - SR1 - Dual-domain audio analyzer.
web link: http://www.thinksrs.com/products/SR1.htm
user manual: http://www.thinksrs.com/downloads/PDFs/Catalog/SR1c.pdf

Can someone share his experiences with it, if it is in his possession or daily access.

Any (possible) comparison with high quality audio card (Lynx TWO series or better?) and some
decent measurement software will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

JGreenslade:
Interesting question, Bogic. I got a demo of one of these at the summer AES and am very tempted.

On the positive side:

It offers a lot of facilities and a good spec for the price

Stanford is a respected name in test gear

It's a standalone unit and doesn't need a host computer.

On the negative side:

It's humungous  and will occupy a lot of space on the bench. You can't just 'throw' it into a soft bag and take it on location

Because Stanford doesn't have the cachet in audio circles that say, AP has, I wonder about residual prices... I can think of other firms that have entered the pro audio market with good products, only to see their products discontinued and selling for a tenth of retail a couple of years later on Ebay. Of course, if it's as good as it seems, regardless of residuals, you should get your money back on it in a short time on your bench, right?

Anyway. I like it. If it were the same size as my Tek colour scope I would've bought it by now. It's a big old boy. Keep us posted if you do get one.

Justin

JGreenslade:
btw - I reckon you should rent an AP for the day and do a shoot out between the two if you're serious. Stanford should loan you one. Tell them you intend to post the results here, where potential clients lurk - it's in their interests. I'm not aware of any high profile audio designers using the unit. Even at the academic level, endorsements count in audio methinks.

Justin

JGreenslade:
Bruno said this at the other forum: http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/378245/0/

boggy:

--- Quote from: JGreenslade on February 25, 2011, 06:08:33 PM ---Interesting question, Bogic. I got a demo of one of these at the summer AES and am very tempted.

On the positive side:

It offers a lot of facilities and a good spec for the price

Stanford is a respected name in test gear

It's a standalone unit and doesn't need a host computer.

--- End quote ---
and automated (even via GPIB) measurements are a some advantage, that pc based measurement softwares usualy doesn't have it (even if this is only some more programming :) )

--- Quote from: JGreenslade on February 25, 2011, 06:08:33 PM ---On the negative side:

It's humungous  and will occupy a lot of space on the bench. You can't just 'throw' it into a soft bag and take it on location

--- End quote ---
Yes,... and it's a bit too heavy for my taste...  :)

--- Quote from: JGreenslade on February 25, 2011, 06:08:33 PM ---Because Stanford doesn't have the cachet in audio circles that say, AP has, I wonder about residual prices... I can think of other firms that have entered the pro audio market with good products, only to see their products discontinued and selling for a tenth of retail a couple of years later on Ebay. Of course, if it's as good as it seems, regardless of residuals, you should get your money back on it in a short time on your bench, right?

--- End quote ---
Automated measurements are one of reasons why I thinking about standalone audio analyzer.

--- Quote from: JGreenslade on February 25, 2011, 06:12:51 PM ---Anyway. I like it. If it were the same size as my Tek colour scope I would've bought it by now. It's a big old boy. Keep us posted if you do get one.

--- End quote ---
Ok, I'will :)

--- Quote from: JGreenslade on February 25, 2011, 06:12:51 PM ---Bruno said this at the other forum: http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/378245/0/

--- End quote ---

Ah, I see,.... old story... I missed that one, sorry  :(

THD is really 0.0003% and that is comparable to my Lynx L22, but SR1's price isn't too high, and if I remember good, SR1's performances are better than Neutrik A2 analyzer. (yes, I check it, 0.001% is A2's measurement minimum for THD)

Thank you very much, Justin, for your response.

Regards

Bogic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version