R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any non-cynical audio engineers over 40???  (Read 57633 times)

Fletcher

Re: Are there any non-cynical audio engineers over 40???
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 11:05:55 PM »

danickstr wrote on Thu, 18 March 2010 19:41

All my bases are belong to you.

Dude-- you're showing your age!!  Its been like 10 years since that was floating around the internet!!  

Heh - found it!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Hank Alrich

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 12:58:31 AM »

breathe wrote on Thu, 18 March 2010 15:37

I am fucking serious.  I WILL OVERTAKE YOU.  I may be naive but I have a value system that drives everything that I do.  If you seriously feel that everything that could be done has been done before then fucking check out of this situation and check into a retirement home.  There is NO USE for cynicism in the facilitation of art.

Nicholas

I don't think I understand what you're going on about. I'm not at all cynical about my work. My work is not like your work. I have my own first product out (at age 65), and we cut it head-on sans cans, no overdubs, and used all of nine tracks, including the stereo pair.

It has nothing at all to do with pop music, or much of anything mainstream. It's not a big deal. It's a little deal. I produced, played, sang (for some value of "singing"), wrote some of the material, and worked with my trio mates on the arrangements. The music is acoustic, straightforward, not complicated. We used some wonderful gear out at Fred Remmert's place in your new home town, and had a blast.

I like the way it came out. I look forward to doing something like it again.

The hardest part these days is being able to afford a decent space, one that has a good acoustical environment, is nicely isolated from intrusive noise, and is large enough to put everyone together in a room, playing the way they'd normally play. These days home "studios" offer almost none of these virtues, so people figure out all kinds of highly unnatural approaches to tracking. From the gitgo, these approaches almost always preclude a group of musos going about it in a manner approaching the way they'd do it live. So it becomes all about the recording. Please think about that.

There are plenty of ways to go about this. Enjoy your way. Let others enjoy theirs. Understanding a little about what has been done, and how, can help one define a basis from which to develop one's own approach. Understanding how people in groups make real, live music, is a big help if one seeks to get a sense of inspiration across to a listener.

CWHumphrey

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 12:37:53 PM »

Really?

Here's a little piece of advice:

If you even think you have a shot of overtaking me, then you're going to need to turn off your computer and actually do something.

Everybody's tough on the internet, but it's in the marketplace--that's where I compete.

Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

breathe

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »

There are some engineers who do something so good that they get a permanent 'pass' no matter how lame they might become later.  I'm listening to Steve Albini's recording of Low's "Secret Name" and I have to pull my jaw off the floor.

Nicholas

breathe

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 12:48:35 PM »

CW, so it's the marketplace (ruled by the lowest common denominator of the record buying public) that determines the value of your work?  I'm so sorry.

Nicholas

CWHumphrey wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 09:37

Really?

If you even think you have a shot of overtaking me, then you're going to need to turn off your computer and actually do something.

Everybody's tough on the internet, but it's in the marketplace--that's where I compete.

breathe

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 12:55:04 PM »

We totally need to get Tony Robbins involved here.

Nicholas

breathe

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »

I don't exist to deride and belittle, I exist to motivate and inspire.  Your ego is like this bank in your gut that you invest into, motivating you to take chances and do your best work.

Nicholas

pete andrews

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »

Quote:

I exist to motivate and inspire.

... and entertain.

-pete

CWHumphrey

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 01:38:57 PM »

breathe wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 09:48

CW, so it's the marketplace (ruled by the lowest common denominator of the record buying public) that determines the value of your work?  I'm so sorry.

Nicholas

I see how it is, kiddo, you're trying to piss me off.

Well, today is YOUR LUCKY DAY!!

Nicholas, you want to show everybody what you've got?

Let's have a little mix off, right here in Fletcher's forum!

I'll even let you pick the material.

So sonny, put up or shut up.
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

Tim Halligan

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »

breathe wrote on Sat, 20 March 2010 00:48

Nicholas

I suspect very strongly that you don't even realise which marketplace Carter is referring to...

Cheers,
Tim

"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

johnR

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »

Nicholas, there are a lot of over-40 engineers on this forum. Surely their presence here (where music is valued more highly than on several other recording fora I can think of) indicates that there are quite a few who remain non-cynical.

Hank Alrich

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »

Nicholas

CWHumphrey wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 09:37

Really?

No, he said that to overtake him, or even get close to catching up you will have to DO something. Something besides "talk" it on the Innernetz.

He appreciates the marketplace because he is a professional. He makes a living at this work. Few who pursue it as a sideline will get enough done to make much progress, regardless of their own definition of success.

Hank Alrich

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 10:52

breathe wrote on Sat, 20 March 2010 00:48

Nicholas

I suspect very strongly that you don't even realise which marketplace Carter is referring to...

Cheers,
Tim

Bet it's not where you get your Vegemite.

danickstr

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 04:09:24 PM »

I am cynical about a signal path altered by gear with cheap components, a mix that does not translate, muddy eq bands full of too much sonic goo, bad levels on record, and takes that should have been re-done.

With those things there to bug me, I am most likely going to be distracted enough to miss the message of the band.

IF the young engineer is not careful enough to beat those and other issues,then ... AYBABTU -   Smile
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

breathe

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »

I relish being an agitator, but I don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings.  I would be open to a mix-off.  It would have to be material that I felt passionate about.

Nicholas

CWHumphrey wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 10:38

Nicholas

I see how it is, kiddo, you're trying to piss me off.

Well, today is YOUR LUCKY DAY!!

Nicholas, you want to show everybody what you've got?

Let's have a little mix off, right here in Fletcher's forum!

I'll even let you pick the material.

So sonny, put up or shut up.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 19 queries.