R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any non-cynical audio engineers over 40???  (Read 57652 times)

breathe

Re: Are there any non-cynical audio engineers over 40???
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 04:50:50 PM »

What is the trajectory of this art???  What defines the "quality" of the product?  Is there some consensus, any consensus, as to what constitutes quality?  As I write this I am recording the San Francisco poet/comedian/motivational writer Bucky Sinister in my home.  I have invited him here because I liked his writing.  I don't think there's anything better to qualify a project other than that you care about it.  The ego is just a promotional device for this.  I could talk loud or be timid and it's just the same.

Nicholas

breathe

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 05:05:25 PM »

Extroversion is just a device.  It's like a technology.

Nicholas

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 05:25:51 PM »

Yo Catwoman,  You can't overtake shit with your puddle in your hand.....

Why would you want to overtake anything anyway?  Is there some prize I am unaware of..  
Insulting people based on their age  --Did you think it would make people feel better?  

I will give you advice too---learn from the older people they know more.... and did not come up in a powder puff world like some of us did....

And really,      insulting Carter....   rethink your moves you only have to inform everyone whom you are once,  

It would be cute that you are enamored with art if you were not so offensive and random about it -  it must be scary to have everything changing all the time.

Sincerely best of luck,  

DarinK

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »

breathe wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 13:50

I don't think there's anything better to qualify a project other than that you care about it.

So how do you justify constantly making assumptions about whether other people are passionate or cynical or whatever?  You behave as though you have this perfect inner sense of such things, but I am certain that the vast majority of stuff that you find soul-less did not seem that way to those involved in its creation. It just doesn't happen to resonate with you.

As for your original question, I think a much tougher one would be, "Are there any cynical audio engineers over 40?", because very few would stick it out for that long if they were cynical about it.

As a fellow bi-polar who has mellowed with time, I hope you don't take this as a personal insult, but maybe you are confusing "passion" with "mania."

-Darin  

jwhynot

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »

breathe wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 13:41

I relish being an agitator, but I don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings.

Not to piss you off - but this is patent bullshit.  Your intent is obvious.

And I'm probably the least cynical person you'll ever meet.

JW

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cynical
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

breathe

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 06:33:17 PM »

That's a good point.

Nicholas

DarinK wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 14:47

breathe wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 13:50

I don't think there's anything better to qualify a project other than that you care about it.

As a fellow bi-polar who has mellowed with time, I hope you don't take this as a personal insult, but maybe you are confusing "passion" with "mania."

-Darin  

breathe

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »

What's frustrating is how obvious things seem now.  Condescension is just a guilty pleasure, impressing this illusion of an ego onto the physical world.  I'm shocked that Steve Fisk even gives a fuck about what I say, but I'm coming up in the world.  I know what I like and I have the tools to realize my vision.  It just really disappoints me when my idols become jaded by sentimentality.  I would hate to think idealism was ever afforded by innocence.

Nicholas

jrmintz

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »

breathe wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 18:44

What's frustrating is how obvious things seem now.  Condescension is just a guilty pleasure, impressing this illusion of an ego onto the physical world.  I'm shocked that Steve Fisk even gives a fuck about what I say, but I'm coming up in the world.  I know what I like and I have the tools to realize my vision.  It just really disappoints me when my idols become jaded by sentimentality.  I would hate to think idealism was ever afforded by innocence.

Nicholas

I'm shocked at where I find cynicism and incompetence, and it usually has nothing to do with age one way or another. It is disappointing when your idols prove fallible, but that happens more and more as you get older. You realize your idols are just people trying to deal with their lives. Sometimes that can make you respect them even more, sometimes you realize they're not very talented and they stepped in shit. I think it's unfair to hold your idols responsible for your idealism. Cherish your vision.

breathe

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 06:59:48 PM »

Or originality, for that matter.

Nicholas

breathe wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 15:44

Nicholas

J.J. Blair

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 07:00:20 PM »

Based on the majority of the questions he asks, I'm not sure Nicholas knows which end of the cable to plug in, let alone how to outmix Carter.  

Nicholas, Carter didn't get to be Brian Wilson's personal engineer by knowing only what he's learned from Internet forums.  Sometimes it's best to know what you don't know, and then follow the soup's advice.

index.php/fa/14464/0/
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

breathe

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »

I agree.  It would be like calling my father "bullshit".  I understand the troubles he's been through at this point.  But I think there has to be some mutual understanding of what the dividing line is for integrity.  I think I've found it as far as engineering goes, and I think I have the competence to understand the variables that someone had to work with to make a project happen.  Seeing Shellac play this summer was really inspiring, because Albini et al really had it going on, complete investment into what they were doing, and every person in the room knew it.

Nicholas

jrmintz wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 15:58

breathe wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 18:44

Nicholas

I'm shocked at where I find cynicism and incompetence, and it usually has nothing to do with age one way or another. It is disappointing when your idols prove fallible, but that happens more and more as you get older. You realize your idols are just people trying to deal with their lives. Sometimes that can make you respect them even more.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 07:14:40 PM »

Anyone notice how much easier it was to call people cynical sellouts when you didn't have to feed kids, make mortage and insurance payments, pay alimony, etc?  

Ever notice how many more of those responsibilities you have when you're 40 or over?

Oh, and I forgot something ... Carter is a Grammy
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

breathe

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »

J.J., did you make that soup yourself?  I'm impressed!

Nicholas

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 16:00

Based on the majority of the questions he asks, I'm not sure Nicholas knows which end of the cable to plug in, let alone how to outmix Carter.  

Nicholas, Carter didn't get to be Brian Wilson's personal engineer by knowing only what he's learned from Internet forums.  Sometimes it's best to know what you don't know, and then follow the soup's advice.

index.php/fa/14464/0/

breathe

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 07:28:03 PM »

I've heard the recent Brian Wilson stuff, which sounds nice, but I don't think I own any of Carter's records.

Nicholas

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 16:14

Anyone notice how much easier it was to call people cynical sellouts when you didn't have to feed kids, make mortage and insurance payments, pay alimony, etc?  

Ever notice how many more of those responsibilities you have when you're 40 or over?

breathe

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 07:29:42 PM »

And what the hell does having to pay for a mortgage have to do with making real art, J.J.?

Nicholas

breathe wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 16:28

I've heard the recent Brian Wilson stuff, which sounds nice, but I don't think I own any of Carter's records.

Nicholas

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 16:14

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Up